Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 13-09-2003 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving to Galway soon. Is there some local newspaper that does property for rent ads? What time of the week is best for flat searching? Finally, any idea of what typical rent is for a small flat/a room in a house?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The advertiser does accommodation ads. It's out on thursdays and it's free, although you can buy the accommodation listings from them on Wadnesdays. Everybody does that, so the best time to search is probably as soon as the Advertiser office opens.Their office is in Eyre Square, beside Supermacs. Around this time there's probably a massive queue of students there every wednesday, so get there early!

Rent prices vary A LOT in Galway. Most of the newer flats start at 80 quid a week. If you look hard, and don't mind being a fair distance from town or living in less flashy accommodation, you can get a better price (I'm living 20 minutes walk from the city centre, in a modest house, for 57 a week)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You can also check the Advertiser's webiste: www.galwayadvertiser.ie - the accomodation listings get updated at 3pm on a Wednesday (to coincide with the list being available to purchase).

Welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Thanks ppl!

I got a really nice place and all!

So when's the house-warming party? :)

When/if ever I get my grant:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

grant eh? so ya a student then, what ya going to be studying?

Well, yes, not surprising really given that that there are thousands of students in Galway.

I'm studying Irish - maybe i should organise an evening of reading obscure Irish poems from the middle ages instead:)

irish eh? well in my spare time i attempt to translate one of the graphical user interfaces for Linux (and other *nix OS's) into Irish, however my written irish ain't that good doh! :o

anyways you should sign up on sin boards, auld sarky there is one of the regulars as well;)
    http://sin.ie/boards

Linux in Irish? Cool!

Yeah, the sin boards look quite cool but I can't access the net for free during the week yet as I haven't been given my student card yet:(

Seeing as you seem to know Galway, are the wireless hotspots they set up for students with laptops at NUIG any good?

i havn't played around with them to be honest. Don't have a laptop. Yeah have to register your mac address with computer services before you can use the network, from what i've heard most of the college is covered.
    as for free internet access well i'll pm yeah and give you a login for the IT-101 suite in IT building :D

• Advertisement

The hotspots work, but there aren't too many of them.

There's one in smokies on the concourse so you can post while ordering a bagel and coffee...

Oh, and the computer suite in the Martin Ryan building never closes, although the MRI itself does. If you're in there before the doors lock at 5, you can stay there as long as you want! (Thedoors aren't locked on the inside, they got unlock buttons...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

But does the computer suite in there stay open?

Not unless someone stays inside them.

They just got another electronic lock on that door now. :(

And the term "regular" isn't technically accurate, Dubhthach. I only joined about a year ago. It's just that I happened to get a truly obscene post count in that year. I just have an opinion on everything! Usually that I don't care about the topic at hand... :)

Advertisement