Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Comer brothers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The Crown Square and Bonham Quay are both being developed. The Comers are sitting on derelict sites and will not develop them raising rents for the people of Galway.

Only in the last few months. They have been idle for years.

The comers are investing their own money into Galway the other 2 sites have developers who are or were involved in NAMA so they are being build off taxpayers money

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We want a free market capitalistic system where private property rights trump everything.
    We got that. What's wrong?!!

Maybe look at all the 'empty' State lands in Galway - HSE, Army, Education, Transport, Councils, IDA...or massive car parks all over the place - that are 'holding' Galway back

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

They’ve done sod all with the Shannon Oaks site in Portumna too.

I’d like to know their excuse for not paying the 112,500 owed - they can certainly afford it. My guess is they’re hoping the fine will be waived once the rezoning is sorted out.

It doesn't work like that. Once levied it must be paid.

They’ve done sod all with the Shannon Oaks site in Portumna too.

They can't do anything with it until granted planning permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,774 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It doesn't work like that. Once levied it must be paid.

And it will be paid sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

They own more then one property in Galway my friend.

And are any of them usable housing units?

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Maybe The odeon portfolio my dear friend??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They own hundreds of flats/houses in Galway - all rented out
    http://www.thecomergroup.com/residential-portfolio-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd rather have Galway developers owning properties in Galway than Dubs or god forbid Mayo :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

zell12 wrote: »

I knew that the owned a lot of property but dident realise that the were into the rental market that big.Good luck to them the came up the hard way.

They own more then one property in Galway my friend.

They are a business who’s aim is to make profit it’s not their job to house people.

A few in here wouldn’t last long in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Maybe The odeon portfolio my dear friend??

Maybe you could explain or link to this portfolio?

Link by other poster shows they've helped by renting property.

I'm confused how you came to the conclusion they are causing a property crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭xckjoo

mgn wrote: »
    I knew that the owned a lot of property but dident realise that the were into the rental market that big.Good luck to them the came up the hard way.
    It would be nice if they were pushed to something with the likes of the Corrib Great Southern site though. It's been derelict long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,919 ✭✭✭✭flazio

biko wrote: »
    I'd rather have Galway developers owning properties in Galway than Dubs or god forbid Mayo :p

I would rather people who would develop and use the property to its full potential, regardless of where they came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

flazio wrote: »
    I would rather people who would develop and use the property to its full potential, regardless of where they came from.

Communism the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

zell12 wrote: »

I'll be damned! When does the Odeon Portfolio building plan commence or has it not even been approved yet?

It looks like my current office is in the line of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It’s their land why should you are anyone have a say on what they do with it? Thankfully this is not a communist county. The vacant site tax is already a step way too far, interfering in privately owned land.

City ordinance is used in cities in pretty much every major developed country in the world. It prevents derelict buildings or filth covered lots from hurting the value of surrounding properties. If I paid a million + for a property in the city and then some c*nt bought the place next to me and let it sit for years, have the grass and bushes overgrown, windows smashed in. I'd be furious.

Other property owners deserve protection.

In the US, even residential areas have ordinance through Home Owner's Associations. I don't fancy that level of governance, myself but there should be legal\financial recourse if your neighbor brings down the value of your home or property through their actions or inactions.

It’s their land why should you are anyone have a say on what they do with it? Thankfully this is not a communist county. The vacant site tax is already a step way too far, interfering in privately owned land.
    Jesus man. What world do you live in? Ever heard of planning permission, zoning, city ordnances, property tax, etc? Don't think there's ever been a time you could just do whatever you want with privately owned land. Better watch of for those commies though. They gonna get ya

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's a lot to be said for people sharing or swapping their tinfoil hats in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's a lot to be said for people sharing or swapping their tinfoil hats in this thread.
    How easy is it to tug the forelock of a tinfoil hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the list of properties they own in Ireland is unreal, don't they own lots of property in the UK also, im sure they don't know what they own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

If i was living in Galway i would be more concerned about the state of the traffic in the city rather than what the Comers are doing with sites.

If i was living in Galway i would be more concerned about the state of the traffic in the city rather than what the Comers are doing with sites.
    Jesus. People are coming from outside the county to complain about the traffic now and not even in a thread related to it. Those tinfoil hats might be needed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/108988/hanley-condemns-unpaid-dereliction-fees-a-disgrace

""In terms of the value of over €100,000 in context, we're talking about more than it costs to run the annual Christmas park and ride"

Collecting the derelict site fees can help pay for improving/extending services like the Park and Ride and reduce traffic congestion in Galway.

Comer brothers commit Athenry site for Galway United Centre of Excellence

Galway businessmen Luke and Brian Comer have committed to doubling down on their partnership with Galway United FC by donating a site for a €20 million centre of excellence in Athenry.

At Eamon Deacy Park this week the brothers announced that they will be extending their sponsorship agreement with Galway United by two more years.

Full story here https://galwaydaily.com/sport/galway-united-comers-extend-sponsorship/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The GMIT failed by not buying it when they had the chance, they could have developed an outstanding catering College/hotel that could have been opened to the public and may have been part self financing.They should have acted with more foresight when the hotel was put into Nama/foreclosure.

The Comers are quite rightly attracting alot of criticism for not developing the site, but we also need to remember the start of the current situation.

A local speculator purchased the hotel in 2006 for c.30 M(which was at the time doing a very good trade) and proceeded to wind it down with the intention to demolish it and seek PP for a higher density development.We now know this speculator was Nama'ed. to the tune of 778m:eek:https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/nama-moves-to-sell-778m-barrett-loan-portfolio-1.1966608

We the taxpayers picked up the tab for his unwise investments., but that is ok as the same speculator is now back in business and building for the people of Galway again:rolleyes:
    The comers purchased it for 3.5M in 2011 and have watched their investment grow.
    The main losers here are taxpayers and citizens, we picked up the tab for 26.5m for this hotel alone.

GMIT taking over and running a big hotel is a big leap from training young people. It was never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Apologies for the confusion, but to clarify, I'm laughing at you.

You seem to be trying to equate a number of issues as being a coordinated conspiracy to keep people from putting a roof over your head, not least that property developers don't want to develop and sell property.

If the conspiracy forum doesn't interest you, then you should have a look at joining PBP as you would fit in well there.

Otherwise, rather than some makeyupy theory, how about showing some actual factual evidence for your claims.

makey upy theory? ah stop, there were 80k surplus properties when the crash happened, then nama, cerebrus etc. came along, conspiracy forum my ar$e, its a fact that this whole situation is being carefully maniplulated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

kabakuyu wrote: »
    The GMIT failed by not buying it when they had the chance, they could have developed an outstanding catering College/hotel that could have been opened to the public and may have been part self financing.They should have acted with more foresight when the hotel was put into Nama/foreclosure.

The Comers are quite rightly attracting alot of criticism for not developing the site, but we also need to remember the start of the current situation.

A local speculator purchased the hotel in 2006 for c.30 M(which was at the time doing a very good trade) and proceeded to wind it down with the intention to demolish it and seek PP for a higher density development.We now know this speculator was Nama'ed. to the tune of 778m:eek:https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/nama-moves-to-sell-778m-barrett-loan-portfolio-1.1966608

We the taxpayers picked up the tab for his unwise investments., but that is ok as the same speculator is now back in business and building for the people of Galway again:rolleyes:
    The comers purchased it for 3.5M in 2011 and have watched their investment grow.
    The main losers here are taxpayers and citizens, we picked up the tab for 26.5m for this hotel alone.

wow, we are all some dopes

Advertisement