Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audax Rides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Rode the Cork 400 on Saturday (with the organiser of the event and one other friend) and covering all 6 counties of Munster.
    The event proper is this Saturday morning.

Rolled out of Midleton just before 5am and got back just before 1am Sunday morning
    16 hrs 49 mins and an average speed of 24 km/hr.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29664853

I've done a couple of Audax Easter Fleche events before over longer distances,but this was just relentless and you don't really get a chance to properly rest at any stage.
    Stopped in Newmarket,Newcastle West,Newport and Ballymacarbry.The final stop being the best,a good friend of ours laid on sandwiches/cake and coffee at the local community centre before we pushed on through the dusk and then darkness on the road to Dungarvan.
    Absolutely broken by the time I made it back to Midleton,nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Absolutely broken by the time I made it back to Midleton,nothing left.

Well, it's your own bloody fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

]
    I've done a couple of Audax Easter Fleche events before over longer distances,but this was just relentless and you don't really get a chance to properly rest at any stage.
    left.

What do you think made it tough? Did you have head winds? The route seems to suggest it's relatively flat for an Audax of this length. Just wondering if there are beasts hiding along the way.
    Cheers.
    Edit: just saw the note about the Xtra 500m climbing.ðŸ‘😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What do you think made it tough?/quote]

A question only an audax rider could ask!

I know ye think this is a safe space but non audax people can wander in here to...

It was 400km without a log fire and Kevin is probably the answer!!

I was reliably informed they were unlucky with headwinds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Audax meet up in Cork 20th July.
    Bikers talk'en bikes for the evening.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/594690861055620/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 farmerk

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can any experienced Audaxers out there tell me if a Permanent counts toward the 4 Provinces medal, or does it have to be 4 calendar events?
    The AI website says calendar events, but am wondering if there is any wiggle room.
    I haven't received a reply to the email I sent last week so maybe someone here is in the know …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Calendar events are the only ones that count. It's to ensure that people actually get around to the various provinces. This year there has been plenty of events around the country, because it is a PBP qualifier year.

Calendar events are the only ones that count. It's to ensure that people actually get around to the various provinces. This year there has been plenty of events around the country, because it is a PBP qualifier year.

Thanks for the reply,
    I thought it was too much to hope for, I am new to Audax events and was hoping to fast-trak that particular goal, but the calendar is short of a 200k event in Ulster in the coming months. Ah, well, there's always next year.

You'll just have to ride the Antrim 300 instead! If you can ride a 200 with time to spare, you can ride a 300. You have 20 hours to ride the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Also, there's loads of time to build up various goals. One year I did RRTY, another I did 4 provinces with a focus on mountains, another I did 200, 300, 400, 600, 1000, 1200 in the space of about 6 months. Last year I just pootled about riding various audax and touring spins with a bit of a lean towards canal towpaths rather than roads.

One thing you learn in Audax is that there ain't no fast track...

• Advertisement

farmerk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,
    I thought it was too much to hope for, I am new to Audax events and was hoping to fast-trak that particular goal, but the calendar is short of a 200k event in Ulster in the coming months. Ah, well, there's always next year.

The Antrim 300 in October is a brilliant route, a little lumpy, but organiser has made effort to use quite roads.

If you haven't ridden a 300 yet it wouldn't be easiest but it's not supposed to be easy😀

cdaly_ wrote: »
    there's loads of time to build up various goals.

Yep, it's my plan to put together a few 200k events, only have done two so far, I am still building my tolerance, I'll postpone the 4 Provinces ambition to the first four months of next year, easy 200k events, and will look at a 300k after that. Antrim 300 is in September and I already have a couple of challenges lined up for that month

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to know there is a wealth of knowledge out there to be drawn on.

The Antrim 300 in October is a brilliant route, a little lumpy, but organiser has made effort to use quiet roads

"A little lumpy" translates as riding just one of the hills on the route will leave you bolloxed, you've now got 300km of them including Torr Head!

This is as good a place as any to ask audax questions. We'll do our best to answer them.

The calendar changes every year, the events that are on this year may not be repeated next year. The events are run by volunteers so people get fed up and want to move on. Standing in a rainy B&Q carpark watching riders looses its charm quickly.

The calendar changes every year, the events that are on this year may not be repeated next year. The events are run by volunteers so people get fed up and want to move on. Standing in a rainy B&Q carpark watching riders looses its charm quickly.

Duly noted, I'll keep an eye on the website and plan accordingly.

Edit:
    Actually, feck it, I might throw myself into the Antrim 300.
    What's the worst that can happen?
    (Hypothetical, I don't need answers to that part).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Ohhhh, I used to dream of standin' in a rainy B&Q* carpark watching riders.
    Luxury.

*Other home improvement superstores are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

In the meantime, PBP2019 preparations are moving apace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

If you get the weather, the Antrim 300 is a fantastic route.

Just a quick post to recommend the Adrian Nealon 200.
    Granted we may have been lucky with the weather, but what a fantastic route, and Eamon is a gent.
    Beautiful part of the country around there, and the route has a bit of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Rode the Tubbercurry Offroad 200 a few weeks back, 50/50 Road/Offroad, a really great mix of trails from grassy single/double track, gravel roads across bogland, swampy bog, country lanes, fireroads, a proper get your feet wet river crossing, beautiful back roads and great views. I rode this route on a gravel bike and it was well within its range. Would highly recommend the route, kudos to the organiser for putting it together and running a great event.

...also an occasional trail guarded by a horse :)
    489437.jpg

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    If you get the weather, the Antrim 300 is a fantastic route.

Just did this yesterday and I agree. We had sunshine until the sun went down, then suffered the last two climbs in the dark and the rain.
    Torr head is a beautifully sculpted torture device, I wasn't quite expecting the gradients there. Just kept thinking "what possessed anyone to build roads like this".
    The last main climb over Slieveanorra ends in a fantastic view over the countryside and you might be fooled into believing that the suffering is almost done. The route planner had other ideas. Broughshane and Big Collin are horrific for tired legs, made worse by the rain in my case. A nice easy finish from Ballyclare lifted my spirits though.
    My first 300k done, a very long day in the saddle but surprisingly it wouldn't put me off going back.

I completed the Pink Elephant 200 on Saturday. Many wrong turns meant I ended up doing 231km. Apologies to Mike for my late return.

This is a fantastic route, all of the slow-rising hills are painful. I prefer to get my altitude gains over shorter distances, but the scenery was worth it, particularly around Gougane Barra.

Four Provinces completed, on to the next challenge!
    And thanks for the nudge from here, I wouldn't have contemplated a 300 otherwise.

Happy pedalling!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

I also did the Pink Elephant on Saturday. A bit wet for a while early on, but a great day overall.

This was my first Audax ride and I really enjoyed the day.

Big thanks to Mike for organising it.

Resoguy wrote: »
    Rode the Tubbercurry Offroad 200 a few weeks back, 50/50 Road/Offroad, a really great mix of trails from grassy single/double track, gravel roads across bogland, swampy bog, country lanes, fireroads, a proper get your feet wet river crossing, beautiful back roads and great views. I rode this route on a gravel bike and it was well within its range. Would highly recommend the route, kudos to the organiser for putting it together and running a great event.

...also an occasional trail guarded by a horse :)
    489437.jpg

Sounds like a great route.

What was your total time for the route? What would you typically ride a "normal" 200 in?

Would like to put on a 200km gravelled audax, but the climbing is nuts, 3500m or so. Along with the slower off road moving in general the total travel time is going to be outside audax limits for most.

Can adapt a current route with about 40-50km off road and the rest boreens with about 2500m climbing but it will need a lot of work before its an event.

Also asking for a friend 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Think the maximum is based off 15kmh total time.

I averaged 17km/h (total time) for the Lakelander 100km with 1640m elevation gain.

For reference, I did the Dying Cow 200 a few weeks earlier at 23.3km/h based on total time (2535m elevation gain), with the main group until Windgates.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Sounds like a great route.

What was your total time for the route? What would you typically ride a "normal" 200 in?

Would like to put on a 200km gravelled audax, but the climbing is nuts, 3500m or so. Along with the slower off road moving in general the total travel time is going to be outside audax limits for most.

Can adapt a current route with about 40-50km off road and the rest boreens with about 2500m climbing but it will need a lot of work before its an event.

Also asking for a friend ��

I rode the Tubbercurry 200km @ 1791m in 11hrs total with 10hrs of riding 20.4km/h, I'm not particularly sporty on hillclimbs so to compare this against my own road only ability, I rode the Mick Byrne 200km @ 3,555m (strava numbers) this year on the same bike with 38mm slicks in 11:15hrs total with 10:15hrs of riding, very similar times despite the elevation difference.

I rode the Lakelander 100km @ 1893m (strava numbers) in 6:30hrs total with 6hrs riding 17.7km/hr.

Around Dublin/Wicklow hills/trails I would usually average under 17km/hr regardless of the distance travelled, there is always a fair bit of elevation to be dealt with there.

I'm going to blow my own trumpet here and I don't care! I achieved the Randonneur 10,000 medal from the Audax Club Parisien. I'm the first person in Ireland to get one. It's one of the top level awards and you need to complete the following audax rides:-

One Paris-Brest-Paris 1,200km
    One ride greater than 1,200km
    Two Super Randonneé Series, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1,000km rides
    One Easter Fléché 360km+
    One Super Randonneé - 600km, 10,000m+ 60hours
    The remainder of the rides have to be BRM brevets

There is a six year qualifying period.

Go and do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm going to blow my own trumpet here and I don't care! I achieved the Randonneur 10,000 medal from the Audax Club Parisien. I'm the first person in Ireland to get one. It's one of the top level awards and you need to complete the following audax rides:-

One Paris-Brest-Paris 1,200km
    One ride greater than 1,200km
    Two Super Randonneé Series, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1,000km rides
    One Easter Fléché 360km+
    One Super Randonneé - 600km, 10,000m+ 60hours
    The remainder of the rides have to be BRM brevets

There is a six year qualifying period.

Go and do it!

I saw this posted on the audax Ireland page and wondered was it possibly a boardsie.

Congratulations that is some achievement.

Fixed :D

ZCZ5egDcprpEbeSjEL64sbVDSWXlnF0msxG6t8zDQpKb99JBRlYiPo0elqYlGSS5zlD4g6U6OhPDlFnhSPxAQGdo9_z4eujr_XrP2Th52a_bnTY5j8_agFvKvvmZMlsPZSGRWG-A57GatETZIxyhzNeItlJOqAdpPGIvLfClhwoocf6kVzFKGYm8WJufmFXQTY_FzBwHBxV423ZGYxKL4jPgPSWK5bXNOGwro6ql9rzposOmHYgWQ1JkGKj40JQPylL0cXqQif15QyeitFzlRxoaE5PI23vTeKbpdsCFmm51wejux4w1vO_N3OY1ctJRVpK8h9VrBDHRlFhTVoiIndx5lLm2zcFMvivUx0FmNdUqHGserD0WOg7BZBeCKcvqRElNSRkKsmEMhYYdCI5tEEgCTaNYVFDipv19vxgX53TUYUS2jPhghxGizcAR1rVQy6vASgvpKLeMzKApVenYvRBXB1XERpdyAkLPMV3apETwWYFwDY1KPxfasK1QdAF7ofYRTInn6lA4TxCBfyJOZorkwnXsUYyXDrjGqRvIiZCl0KdObPfff1j7Vjaib7Tt864SNKSmKM_JPKzBoV_akX1-xxGrdgvfLXc8PfGDRW4HWoagbKxzb6-Wkw0YFNwVllrah3s-cAeFHZeD4KCffOIBZiJbHSc1I_oPOCYGpaFjAeUCEwJKsAi4OVIX7smiLoBiKfY6uP73cz7XvJeJ2DnDywfF9Du1mQzsD3Au4Us_dcsXqQ=w485-h362-no

That's me! My anonymity has long gone from this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's me! My anonymity has long gone from this site.

Oh crap sorry I'll take that down

Advertisement