Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Investing at the moment

• 20-07-2019 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Are many people here investing at the moment or waiting it out for a better opportunity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Depends on your outlook, I've tried swing trading and had some great results and some great losses and overall am right back where I started at the beginning of the year. If I'd just bought pretty much any of the big caps at the start of the year ( V, MA, PYPL, MSFT, APPL etc) and done nothing i'd be up 20% or more now. I'm not smart enough or disciplined enough to control my emotions when trading, its not for me.

The market is looking toppy in the US, Brexit looms in Europe, its a risky time but I suppose if you know what you are doing there's money to be made.

I've decided to go long and just leave my money in some of the big caps in the US market and invest in some CEF's once Brexit becomes more clear (LSE is, as far as I can see, the only place we can buy them on Degiro) and sterling stabilized.

I'll continue to add every month so will ride the market whichever way it goes and hopefully by retirement be nicely ahead. Once I reach retirement I'm going to invest most of it in boring preferred shares with decent dividends to supplement my pension and have something to leave to the kids in time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Waiting. The US stock market looks too high.
    The biggest increases from the previous low since the Dow started in 1896 were:
    1929 (+497%) followed by an 89% decline to 11% of its 1929 high
    1937 (+372%) recovery to half of the 1929 high
    1998 (+295%)
    2019 (+318%)

It would not be unusual to see the DJIA at half of the 2019 high in the next few years.

Advertisement