Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Monitoring/Alerting

Options
  • 26-07-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm only beginning to dip my toe in investing for now but I'm not actively checking my favourite stocks every day. I'm wondering if there's a way of alerting when a specific stock hits a mark price-wise? An email to let me know that a stock is at a certain low over a certain period for example Microsoft has hit it's lowest price in 6 months, I get a mail about it to prompt looking into the stock.

Are there any other platforms or tools that could be of use here for monitoring a stock that are worth checking out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I looked extensively into this and settled on JStock on android. Its free and you can set up alerts for stocks above and below a certain amount, its very nice and works great.
    I'm always reading articles about this or that stock and checking their current price on tradingview, I then decide what looks like a decent entry point and set an alert in JStock and forget about it until i get an alert.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Supercell wrote: »
    I looked extensively into this and settled on JStock on android. Its free and you can set up alerts for stocks above and below a certain amount, its very nice and works great.
    I'm always reading articles about this or that stock and checking their current price on tradingview, I then decide what looks like a decent entry point and set an alert in JStock and forget about it until i get an alert.
    Pretty much lines up with how I've been looking into stocks so appreciate the tip, thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm only beginning to dip my toe in investing for now but I'm not actively checking my favourite stocks every day.
    An email to let me know that a stock is at a certain low over a certain period for example Microsoft has hit it's lowest price in 6 months, I get a mail about it to prompt looking into the stock.

you are basically putting yourself under pressure for no good reason.... it probably takes two or three months to properly investigate a company. Identify the company you are interested in, figure out a good buy price and wait for it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jim2007 wrote: »
    you are basically putting yourself under pressure for no good reason.... it probably takes two or three months to properly investigate a company. Identify the company you are interested in, figure out a good buy price and wait for it to happen.
    Well one I'm looking to keep an eye on is Microsoft & I'd like to increase the number of shares I have - currently I've 3 so I'd like to increase the number of shares I have I just want to keep an eye on whether it will drop back into the 130 range given it's at 140 now. More research needed for sure, I'm open to any good resources worth checking out you might know of, daily sites worth checking - I like Wallet Investor it's a handy site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well one I'm looking to keep an eye on is Microsoft & I'd like to increase the number of shares I have - currently I've 3 so I'd like to increase the number of shares I have I just want to keep an eye on whether it will drop back into the 130 range given it's at 140 now.

I can't help you there because I may only check prices once a year or so... and why does it make any difference if it is at 130 or 140, the questions you need to answer are: is it on sale, does it off sufficient potential to achieve your investing objectives and is it the best option given the alternatives. But if you already own 300 shares I'd expect you've already done your research.
    More research needed for sure, I'm open to any good resources worth checking out you might know of, daily sites worth checking - I like Wallet Investor it's a handy site.

You need to learn how to invest, have a look at something like the methodology used by betterinvesting.org or have a read of something like Take Stock. A more recent edition if you can find one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement