Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degrio - W-8BEN form (substitute) form

Options
  • 22-07-2019 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Anybody know what this means?
    Do you want to apply for a reduced withholding tax rate on US source income.

If i trade us stocks do i get some kind of discount or is this for us citizens only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

It's a US tax form. It's basically used if you are non-US citizen and have US source income and wish not to be double taxed (by the US and Ireland). As we have a tax treaty the US you should be able to receive relief if you are liable to pay tax, Investopedia have a article on it below. I don't know if trading US stocks counts as US source income but someone here with more experience should be able to help with that.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/w8form.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

It's for tax on US dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you don't have an Irish bank account, degiro won't let you use this to get reduced US taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coylerzz

Question for ye,

I filled out my W-8BEN form when setting up my account since im investing for dividends.

1 of my dividend companies just went just went ex div and in the upcoming dividends section it says Reservation Partnerships tax withholding but none of my other companies have that!

Any ideas?

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Parom

That sound you have purchased a stake in Master limited partnership (MLP), Different set of rules apply for MLPs, e.g withholding tax for US non-residents is 37% and you are also required to file a US tax return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement