Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair thinning

Options
  • 10-07-2019 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok so I’m just after turning 26 and my hair and b*#terding genetics have caught up with me, in essence my hair has begun to thin and recede. I honestly hate the idea of going bald, I know some people will say embrace it but I have to try and stop or at least hinder this process. With that in mind I have been told nioxin is really good, does anybody have any reviews on this? Where can it be bought? Or are there any other things I could try. I am desperate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

DavidK1993 wrote: »
    Ok so I’m just after turning 26 and my hair and b*#terding genetics have caught up with me, in essence my hair has begun to thin and recede. I honestly hate the idea of going bald, I know some people will say embrace it but I have to try and stop or at least hinder this process. With that in mind I have been told nioxin is really good, does anybody have any reviews on this? Where can it be bought? Or are there any other things I could try. I am desperate
    Vitamin D Tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

DavidK1993 wrote:

Yes, you really will need to "embrace it", as they say. There simply is no cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Get in there early and shave it Sahn, get the body in good shape if it isn't already and you'll own it.

As the man said, there is no cure and absolutely no cosmetic treatment for any amount of money that doesn't look as artificial as it is. Ask any girl (or gay man) did Antonio Conte look better embracing the chrome or with that thatch he paid a fortune for on his nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've been "going bald" for 30 years - sometimes it happens as a glacial rate (think Micheál Martin only not as thin). Just keep it short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

as man who like yourself who never wanted to go bald and tried rogaine (which helped maintain it for a few years to be fair but best thing to do will be to shave it just to get a grips of how you think you look. Its something i wish i did before it got too far along and i had no other choice.

if you shave it now and see how it looks then id look into propecia and rogaine but only thing that will reverse it is a transplant. even though im fine with my head shaved i still think about getting one every other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I had similar from about 28 man. Used Minoxidil for a few years but I was always hyper aware of it. I'd always said when it got to a certain stage, I'd shave it and be done with it.

The missus told me about two months ago that it had finally reached that stage, so I buzzed it all off. The relief has been amazing. And I wet shave it quite often too.

No harm doing minoxidil if it's not too advanced but if it's bothering you already, just shave it. If you hate it, you'll grow it back in a few weeks. And I'd echo getting in shape. Shaved/bald is better with a good bod.

Don't fret man. You're more than your hair. The man will always shine through.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something that's very useful in the early stages of hair loss is a product called hair fibres under the "MR Jamie Stevens" brand. It's a bit strange -- it's basically like a pepper pot you shake over your hair, but I've found it very good.

Creol1 wrote: »
    Something that's very useful in the early stages of hair loss is a product called hair fibres under the "MR Jamie Stevens" brand. It's a bit strange -- it's basically like a pepper pot you shake over your hair, but I've found it very good.

What about if it rains?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

What about if it rains?

Either open your umbrella or run for cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you have, or have access to a hat, OP?

• Advertisement

Creol1 wrote: »
    Either open your umbrella or run for cover!

Hell no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

You don't have to embrace it but minoxidil on its own won't cut it, as that's mainly meant for regrowing hair, but won't stop you losing hair (so if you're naturally losing hair, it won't stop it-it'll just try and regrow hair that's naturally being lost so it'll cancel itself out). You need Finasteride (brand name: propecia), which actually does stop hair loss in most people (assuming no serious side effects, but give it at least eight weeks to make sure they're not temporary-don't panic and quit after six weeks of side effects like many do, and like I was tempted to do when they got really bad...they do disappear for most people within eight weeks). Check our the BRHR clinic in Dublin. I went to them when I first noticed a bald patch emerging five years ago, they prescribed me finasteride and five years later, the hair I'd lost has grown back and I still look like I've a full head of hair. You need to act soon though, as once you've lost a noticeable amount of hair (e.g. a full-on bald patch, finasteride won't be effective enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If you are using hair gel stop! Same happened to me about the same age.

Stopped putting crap in my hair and it stopped receding.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If you are using hair gel stop! Same happened to me about the same age.

Stopped putting crap in my hair and it stopped receding.

I don't think that's the problem....I never used hair gel and I still started going bald. If you have the genes, then it's going to happen regardless...just need to make sure you get finasteride to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭riddles

Has anyone tried prolonged alcohol reduction \ elimination. I noted that alcohol reduces magnesium levels. Am partial to wine, too much so in fact. Am going to try and reduce as much as possible and supplement magnesium using magnesium oil. Hairs been thinning at an alarming rate since I turned 40 some years back.

Advertisement