Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great pub great.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

just think of copper face jacks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Good free WIFI
    A glass of wine less than €6
    complimintary nuts
    Good Rock Classics blasting out on the speakers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Good music (1990s indie)
    Lounge staff (I only want to get up to go the toilet).
    Clean toilets
    Plenty of decent looking women
    Tasty pint of Arthur G.

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

A pub that doesn't just serve awful, generic pints like Bud, Heineken, Carlsberg, basically different shades of piss.

Music isn't too loud.
    Not too bright either. Hate sitting in really bright pubs where it kills the atmosphere.
    Complimentary nuts/nibbles like you get in bars all over Italy is great.
    Most of all friendly people. Some pubs just attract a certain friendly type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I love old pubs but they need to be warm and friendly rather than grim. I really miss The Long Stone! Bonus points if it has nooks and crannies like the upstairs of The Bleeding Horse or is really pretty and nicely laid out like Palace Fleet Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

JeanL wrote: »
    Lock-in's

On that subject whats the criac with that pub on pearse street? you walk past it at 8am and the doors are open and someone is having a smoke outside.

Gotta be a lock-in, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

backround music but not loud. so i can still talk to others ,
    good pint ,
    attentive staff not constantly on their phone,

and ost of all, small gestures like throwing out a free bag of peanuts or crisps if you have bought a few points and look like you are staying for a while. those small gestures make a massive difference and make a pub stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

- the person behind the bar aware that a pint of Guinness needs no more than 2 minutes to settle (and doesn't decide to head out around the bar cleaning up etc and never returning back to said pint (looking at you Tom Barry's :mad:)

plenty of screens
    plenty of cocktails
    music if necessary
    smoking area three doors away from main room
    girls nights
    board games
    wifi

basically anything that sends the pack a miserable fartsmelling tightwad stoutgobblers throughout this thread somewhere else so that people dont have to pretend theyre in a fcukin monastery with a tap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Minge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Plenty of people mentioning a good pint.

No way I would have never thought that would make a good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

And yet very few pub owners agree. There must be a reason, probably that a pub seems too quiet if relatively empty and no music.

Noise creates atmosphere and gives the impression that everyone else is having a good time.

How often are you sitting in a pub, having a great time, and someone suggests that the group needs to move to a noisy pub or night club. If you ask people individually they will tell you they are happy where they are. But the group consensus is that everyone else probably wants to go to the noisy night club.

My point is that for some reason people associate noise with fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

JeanL wrote: »
    Lock-in's

On that subject whats the criac with that pub on pearse street? you walk past it at 8am and the doors are open and someone is having a smoke outside.

Gotta be a lock-in, right?

Shhhh will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

nthclare wrote: »
    When you're out surfing on a winter's evening, you're drying yourself and the wind's Baltic...
    You're drying for a hot drink and you drive from Doolin via Liscannor and Egan's looks like the blind's are down...

But you check the door anyhow and it's open and the blast of hot air hits you, the fire's on and you get a warm smile from the Spanish bar lady when you walk in the door....

Egan's the best pub in Clare

Certainly one of them.
    Hes bat **** crazy though. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Where are all these pubs without a TV?????
    I wanna be cool too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Where are all these pubs without a TV?????
    I wanna be cool too!

It's not about being cool. The Stags Head didn't have a tv and had a better atmosphere than the majority of pubs in Dublin on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can thinking of a few of my favourite pubs and they don't have a lot in common except the absence of loud music. The thing they have in common is the fact that I have good friends who go there and we have a good time there.

There's one pub that's absolutely average. Older crowd, but very standard apart from that. It's across from my work so we go there most Fridays after work. Great nights with my close work mates. It often starts with a big crowd but whittled down to the core friend group.

I can't think of a single pub I'd class as "great" but I don't have good night's there. So I'm pretty sure it's based on whether or not I have good night's there. I'd imagine it's the same with other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

....must have a selection of Real Ale (casked) + pub grub, all day breakfast, specials night, karaoke night too, with the rest of the week chilled. TV room for the footie separate!

A bowl of sausage & chips for just a few squid, none of your exorbitant Gastro Fayre (which costs a fortune).

sioda wrote: »
    Good company and no TV in a mobile phone blackspot

Gus o Connors on doolin. Phones don't work there.:)

A pub you can go into on your own and talk to people all night. I've never found such places in Ireland but had many such haunts while living abroad. I find in Dublin anyway people just go in and keep to themselves.

Houricans in kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Gus o Connors on doolin. Phones don't work there.:)

I would not like a pub that locks out phone signal/ access to internet. I like a quite pint and a good surf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quiet, cosy with comfy seats, good beer and cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Anywhere that doesn't allow smoking at the front door. Nothing makes a street look more cheap and nasty than a line of pubs with a bunch of cretins blocking the footpath and throwing the fag butts on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Good live music
    No tvs
    No food
    No bores sitting at the bar
    People in their mid 20s+

The occasional group of gals where one always cries after a few merlots, cos it’s fun to laugh at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Good Company
    No loud music

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Friendly nice people.

Masala wrote: »
    I would not like a pub that locks out phone signal/ access to internet. I like a quite pint and a good surf!!

The signals not blocked..walls too thick :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

My favourite local is a place I can go in, have a few pints and be left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

plenty of screens
    plenty of cocktails
    music if necessary
    smoking area three doors away from main room
    girls nights
    board games
    wifi

basically anything that sends the pack a miserable fartsmelling tightwad stoutgobblers throughout this thread somewhere else so that people dont have to pretend theyre in a fcukin monastery with a tap

If it was on the west coast with a nice view and the tap poured a decent pint, that would be a good boozer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A good rock pub that has a nice smattering of indie and electro sounds too and won't deafen their customers with a bad sound system, but use proper Funktion-One speakers. And a proper drinks selection with good absinthe's too. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement