Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are shotguns shell picky

Options
  • 24-07-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

As above do shotguns shoot some cartridges better than others.Reason i ask is i was out trying to shoot some crows who have decided to eat the string wrap off my round bales of hay(never seen them do this before).Loaded the gun with eley pigeon 30gr no6.A couple of hours and lots of swearing,not a single bird hit.Yesterday put some feed bags up at 30yards,took aim at red circle and bang.Pattern on all 5 bags was 4" left.
    Decided id try some clay shells so again some feed bags went up,loaded fiocchi tt one 28gr took aim and bang.Pattern was more or less where i wanted it.So popped down to dealer and looked for a fiocchi pigeon load.He gives me a box of fiocchi pigeon 32gr no5 67mm.Head home and repeat process hoping for the best.
    Well sure enough got a lovely central pattern which will down any bird within a 40y distance.Has anyone else had this experience or is my gun just a picky sh1te.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Nothing to do with the gun, some brands and cartridges just throw a better pattern depending on how the wad opens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Witcher wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the gun, some brands and cartridges just throw a better pattern depending on how the wad opens etc.

Any problems with putting 67mm shells in a semi-auto.Manual states 2-3/4"up to 3".The 67mm is a bit smaller but the gun cycled fine with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Interesting that your gun shot four inches left. Probably more likely that your aim was off a little than the cartridge not shooting straight. I find it difficult to shoot a shotgun against a stationary target because I'm not used to it.

What chokes are you using? I like a half choke for crows or even tighter if I'm using clay loads to kill them.

Interesting that your gun shot four inches left. Probably more likely that your aim was off a little than the cartridge not shooting straight. I find it difficult to shoot a shotgun against a stationary target because I'm not used to it.

What chokes are you using? I like a half choke for crows or even tighter if I'm using clay loads to kill them.

I actually think the gun didn't fancy the eleys.I put the 28gr 7s fiocchi and the 32gr 5s fiocchi
    bang centre mass of where i was shooting,gun just didn't fancy eley.Father was out this evening with his old s×s and he took care of a few of the crows and the eleys shot perfect in it.Also have never seen as many crows and jackdaws this year,they all must of successfully hatched out their clutches this summer,everywhere is black with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Different cartridges will pattern differently. In my current shotgun Lyalvale, Mirage and Noble Sport 32 and 30gr nr6 shot, fibre wad 2 1/2" work fine. Eley Grand Prix on the other hand wouldn't shoot snow of a rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Can be the cartridges. Could be your mount either.

Can be the cartridges. Could be your mount either.

Could be mount i suppose,but it was just how far left it shot the eley at 30y.Stick the fiocchi in and it was more or less bang central with either the 28g7 or the 32g6.It would be wrecking my head now if i had to use the eleys,lucky enough John in cill dara hunting says he always has some fiocchi in or paddy carley in wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Asus1 wrote: »
    Could be mount i suppose,but it was just how far left it shot the eley at 30y.Stick the fiocchi in and it was more or less bang central with either the 28g7 or the 32g6.It would be wrecking my head now if i had to use the eleys,lucky enough John in cill dara hunting says he always has some fiocchi in or paddy carley in wexford.

Yeah Jon has fiocchi in store but if all else fails go to lakelands as that's where paddy carley and cilldara hunting buy from.

Could be mount as they say the gun has to go to the same spot every time but who knows. Shoot with what makes ya happy and have confidence in. The fblack in 28g 7.5it is a great pigeon and crow stopper

Advertisement