Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybane enterprise centre, dog walks

Options
  • 22-07-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there - is there any good walks around this area for a dog - someone attending a course there for about 5 hours and just wondering is there any good places to go with the dog to pass the time - would prefer not to have to travel into the city if possible.

Thanks all

Sooty

Comments

sooty1 wrote: »
    Hi there - is there any good walks around this area for a dog - someone attending a course there for about 5 hours and just wondering is there any good places to go with the dog to pass the time - would prefer not to have to travel into the city if possible.

Thanks all

Sooty

Merlin Woods would be the closest

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Thanks for that - would Ballyloughane Strand be good for passing an hour or 2 if the day was good?

Soory

sooty1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - would Ballyloughane Strand be good for passing an hour or 2 if the day was good?

Soory

Sure, just make sure to go into the park to the left and go out the other side for the best walk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

sooty1 wrote:

I believe dogs banned there May to Sept .

Oh right where would i get clarification on that?

• Advertisement

sooty1 wrote:
    Oh right where would i get clarification on that?

Check city council web site I'd say.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I believe dogs banned there May to Sept .

It's a city bylaw that has never been enforced. Personally I wouldn't be too worried

Just clean up if your dog makes a mess and you'll be fine

It's a city bylaw that has never been enforced. Personally I wouldn't be too worried

Just clean up if your dog makes a mess and you'll be fine

I don't see many dogs on leads when they're on the beach though. Owners like to let them loose. That's an issue also in addition to dog mess.

I'm not sure Ignoring the law just because it hasn't been enforced is the best way forward.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I don't see many dogs on leads when they're on the beach though. Owners like to let them loose. That's an issue also in addition to dog mess.

I'm not sure Ignoring the law just because it hasn't been enforced is the best way forward.

What do you want me to say? Sure, there are muppet dog owners, same as there are muppet car owners etc

The simple truth is, don't bother others and you'll be fine. Cause problems and expect to be reported.

Those bylaws were brought in by reactionary councillors looking for a cause. They have been ignored by both the public and the council itself since their introduction as they are farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advising not following the law is not ok.
    The law is there to be followed, enforced or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Op your grand walking the dog around Ballyloughane, loads of people do it on a daily basis. Plenty of paths and green areas to walk around without going near the beach incase anyone gets in a tizz over you being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

These are the instructions from the council, anything else is not permitted.
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/dogs
    dogs are not permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August and September.

Before 9 am and after 8 pm during May to September, dogs are permitted on the beach provided they are on a leash and are not causing danger or nuisance. This bye-law relates solely to the Galway City beaches of Salthill, Grattan, Ballyloughane and Silverstrand and to their waters; the Promenade is not affected by its introduction.
    So stay off the beach when in doubt and you're grand.

Thanks everyone - i always clean up after my dog :) - we will give it a shot and see what happens. Hope its not raining!!!!

Advertisement