Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scottish independence

• 18-07-2019 8:35pm
    Site Banned Posts: 57 ✭✭

Would you be in support of a politico-economic union and formal international intergovernmental cooperation between the three Gaelic nations, (united) Ireland, (independent) Scotland and the Isle of Man similar to Benelux?

The Benelux cooperation has served as a model for the EU, and is basically an EU lite, comprising a customs union and a parliament as well as shared resources.

This could work between the three Gaelic nations and when we get reunification and the Scottish get independence, I think it is something good that should be created.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The thought has occurred to me that if Scotland were to achieve independence then such a model involving the ROI and Scotland might be a good way to facilitate Irish reunification in subsequent years.

Unionists would surely be more likely to accept a reunified Ireland if it were to involve being in a union with Scotland. It would be a case of both nationalists and unionists gaining: the former gets an all-Ireland model, the latter gets to remain in a union with the UK nation it is closest to historically and geographically. It might even provide an avenue for Wales to survive on its own, should it decide it doesn't want to be part of the recent wave of English nationalist thinking.

It's all very much theoretical as it stands, however, and it remains to be seen whether Scotland - assuming it votes for independence - would welcome becoming involved right away in another union.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Would you be in support of a politico-economic union and formal international intergovernmental cooperation between the three Gaelic nations, (united) Ireland, (independent) Scotland and the Isle of Man similar to Benelux?

The Benelux cooperation has served as a model for the EU, and is basically an EU lite, comprising a customs union and a parliament as well as shared resources.

This could work between the three Gaelic nations and when we get reunification and the Scottish get independence, I think it is something good that should be created.

What do you think?

Other than the romantic notion, why?

What good would it achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, on a technical issue, I don't see that it's viable unless the Isle of Man (a) become an independent sovereign country, and (b) joins the EU. At the moment it's neither an independent country nor in the EU.

But forget Man; what about Hiberno-Scottish regional co-operation, given an independent Scotland within the EU?

There's already, of course, a high degree of co-operation simply by virtue of being EU members. Within the EU, there are already examples of closer regional co-operation, some formally constitutuded, like Benelux, and some less formally, like the New Hanseatic League. I don't think the cultural affinities between Scotland and Ireland, like their shared Gaelic heritage, really provide a sound foundation for the kind of close regional co-operation and alignment that we see in Benelux, but they do have other things in common like their geographic location on the NW fringe of the Union, their status as small-to-mid-sized member states, and social and economic organisation heavily influenced by British traditions and institutions. But I think that, rather than have a two-state group, they are more likely to want to both join a larger group of states that share at least some of these characteristics. Like the New Hanseatic League, in fact (of which Ireland is already a member). These groups function largely to co-ordinate policy, and to seek to influence policy at an EU level, rather than to secure a deeper level of integration between the members than is provided simply by EU membership (which is what Benelux does).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What do you think?

I think you need to come up with an awful lot more that just a nice idea, to be taken seriously....

For instance Ireland is a member of the Euro Group and as a result it and Germany get to trade in what to us is an under valued currency at no expense to our exchequer. Now to put that into perspective, The Swiss National Bank (SNB) tried to peg the Franc to the Euro and in the process they hosed up the deficit of the 7 biggest Euro group economies before the had to abort the exercise... So if we were to take the idea seriously then we'd need to require the others to join the EU and the Euro group and that is just for starters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

We currently do have formal political and economic union with Scotland as part of the E.U. I would be happy to see Mann become a full independent nation and join the EU but unfortunately it is probably not big enough and they probably would not want to join the EU.

Yes and there was a logical need for that, them having been invaded several times in the 30 odd years before its formation. I could see Ireland trying to form better relations with the other small Western EU states, particularly Denmark, who I would consider to be the closest to Ireland in terms of Economics, attitude towards the EU and general cutulture, once the UK leaves the EU.

What do you think?

I dunno. Despite the cultural similarities between Irish and Scottish people, neither nation feels any particular affinity towards the other. Scottish people, despite all issues with Scottish Independence, still feel more closely aligned to England and Wales than they do to Ireland.

In the event of a Brexit followed by Scottish Independence and Scotland joining the EU, I can see them being a good ally to Ireland in some areas, but also a competitor in others.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 57 ✭✭Faye McAleer

Scotland would also need to take back Berwick upon Tweed should it become independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Scotland is still very divided according to sectarian lines, similar to Northern Ireland. The sort of secterianism the republic has largely left behind is still alive and well in Scotland.
    Uniionist supporting scots would have zero affinity with Ireland. All the Gaelic stuff would mean very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No. You can't trust the Scots. They voted for France to host the Rugby World Cup because they would get more money out of France. They sold out to BT and dumped the IRFU when there was the fight over the Heineken Cup and a few weeks ago they tried to expel Irish fishermen from around Rockall even though Ireland has a fishing quota for there.

Just remember what Paisley, Arlene & Co's heritage is!

Oh, and unlike England, during the Troubles (when Ireland had a good rugby team) they refused to play in Dublin.

We currently do have formal political and economic union with Scotland as part of the E.U. I would be happy to see Mann become a full independent nation and join the EU but unfortunately it is probably not big enough and they probably would not want to join the EU.

Yes and there was a logical need for that, them having been invaded several times in the 30 odd years before its formation. I could see Ireland trying to form better relations with the other small Western EU states, particularly Denmark, who I would consider to be the closest to Ireland in terms of Economics, attitude towards the EU and general cutulture, once the UK leaves the EU.

I dunno. Despite the cultural similarities between Irish and Scottish people, neither nation feels any particular affinity towards the other. Scottish people, despite all issues with Scottish Independence, still feel more closely aligned to England and Wales than they do to Ireland.

In the event of a Brexit followed by Scottish Independence and Scotland joining the EU, I can see them being a good ally to Ireland in some areas, but also a competitor in others.

Again, I point to the success of Beneulux. Why couldn't that be replicated with an Ireland, Scottish and Manx equivalent?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Again, I point to the success of Beneulux. Why couldn't that be replicated with an Ireland, Scottish and Manx equivalent?

You need to address the issues raised.... and you need to point out what success you are talking about in respect of the Benelux - in the 50s it was a very useful tool, but today in the context of the EU it is of little value and is more often used to denote a geographic region rather than anything else.

So far all you have come up with is a have baked idea with little substance other than 'would't it be a great idea'....

• Advertisement

The requirements to be part of this Gaelic Union should be:

1. Be in the EU and preferably Eurozone.
    2. Have a democratically elected head of state, i.e ditch the Queen.

Well, I would point out that an awful lot of non-Gaelic countries could tick those boxes.

And I'm not seeing the need for the second requirement. Benelux, on which the Gaelic Union is proposed to be modelled, gets on fine without it.

Why not use Sterling and have the Queen as head of state?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Assuming the success of the Union, I think Italy would make a great member next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ireland is already party of a northern European alliance within the EU. The name of it escapes me at the moment.

It doesn't get the same attention as the visegrad alliance since it's not led by a right wing awkward squad.

The benefits of Benelux have been mostly subsumed into the EU and expanded to other countries.

I don't see the economic links between Ireland and Scotland that make this desirable. We are very different countries and economies.

Any further integration should be via the EU.

There is a British-Irish council for talking about mutual stuff.

Is there any desire in Scotland for this?
    It would take a while for an independent Scotland to establish itself in the world and find its own feet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Please note that the OP has been sitebanned. The topic can still be discussed if people wish, but the OP won't be replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how it would work in practice. We can say on a casual basis that Irish and Scottish people are very similar, but when it comes to forming a political union, any cultural differences would be immediately exacerbated. You'd potentially have the Irish and Highland Scots on one side, with Lowland Scots and Northern Irish on the other, with everyone arguing about where the parliament building should be.

In what ways?
    Plenty have migrated between both countries but we have very different histories.
    The same could be said of us and the UK. It wouldn't be a good idea to join them.

We should be very friendly and neighbourly but that doesnt extend to a political union.

The question really comes down to this: beyond the high degree of integration we would have as member states of the EU, what further degree of integration is appropriate or desirable between Scotland and Ireland specifically? If there isn't a clear answer to this, there doesn't seem to be any case for a Gaelic Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

I think an international organisation similar to the Nordic Council or Visegrad Group would be more suitable then an actual union.

An extremely conservative sectarian country? No thanks.

An extremely conservative sectarian country? No thanks.
    Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What do you think?

What about the Brits? - the Celts were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We’re doing great on our own within the EU and very connected to the wider world. Why on earth would we want to be getting involved with the Scots and all their love/hate baggage with England? I feel a very faint affinity with Scotland but certainly not part of a Union. They have decades and decades of growing up to do as a nation I think. Can’t even decide if they want to be a real country yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What do you think?

Intrigued to know what the “Benelux” cooperation is because apart from being good neighbors I’m not aware Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg share any formal political union (outside of EU membership) ?

road_high wrote: »
    Intrigued to know what the “Benelux” cooperation is because apart from being good neighbors I’m not aware Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg share any formal political union (outside of EU membership) ?
    They certainly do. Benelux isn't just a convenient shorthand for Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg; it's a formal political institution established by treaty, with its own Committee of Ministers, Council, General Secretariat, InterParliamentary Consultative Council and Court of Justice.

It predates the EU and in many respects was a forerunner to it - for example, the Benelux Countries were in a customs union with one another before the European Customs Union was established. A lot of what was first done by Benelux has since been superseded by the EU doing the same thing (like the customs union). But Benelux is always opening up new areas of co-operation with the result that the Benelux countries tend to be ahead of the rest of the EU in intergovernmental co-operation and social/administrative investigation. For example, they have just put in place arrangements allowing the Benelux police forces to conduct investigations in one another's jurisdictions.

Peregrinus wrote:
    They certainly do. Benelux isn't just a convenient shorthand for Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg; it's a formal political institution established by treaty, with its own Committee of Ministers, Council, General Secretariat, InterParliamentary Consultative Council and Court of Justice.
    Nordic Council is similar, but they don't go that far. They coordinate policy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

What about poor auld Rockall?

Why should the people of Rockall be denied the indisputable benefits that a Celtic union would bring.

No, OP, sorry for being silly for a minute, Ireland should not seek to form some sort of Celtic Benelux.

You weren't a speech writer for Alex Salmond by any chance were you?

As leader of the SNP he spoke about an "arc of prosperity" encompassing Ireland, Iceland and Norway.
    I think he forgot about Rockall too.

Why do people always forget about Rockall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't want anything to do with Scotland, a grotesque place.

Advertisement