Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

No shurrender

Any evidence for this? Looked on twitter no one has said anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was that what was shouted ? Fecking silly thing to shout.

I dont know i was joking Could have been tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

No surrender

I dont know i was joking Could have been tho

Well with the amount of support and tricolours there anybody who tried would've been a brave man. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Remind me wrote: »
    Playing solid and he gets on with it, if never seen him act the pr1ck either

See that shimmy there from JB? :-) I kinda like the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They are hoping for the best with the weather on sky sports. Jesus is it going to be Carnoustie 1999 tomorrow or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Grwat round. Superb golf and some atmosphere but lads.... He's won nothing yet. Come on shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Talking about 20 mph winds with gusts up to 35mph and very heavy rain. Shane teeing off at 1.47 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Andrew00 wrote: »
    No surrender

Should be swiftly pulled out by the fooking ears and not allowed back in.

Not surprising at all really as his provenance is beyond repute.

485779.jpeg

• Advertisement

Grwat round. Superb golf and some atmosphere but lads.... He's won nothing yet. Come on shane
    Never a truer word spoken. he's ahead and playing great stuff. But as was mentioned in his interview he's been here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Didn’t he have a 4 shot lead at us open as well? Hopefully learned a lot from that

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Jesus I have goosebumps even thinking about it. C'mon Shane!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

blackcard wrote: »
    Talking about 20 mph winds with gusts up to 35mph and very heavy rain. Shane teeing off at 1.47 p.m.

20mph winds are nothing in fairness. The worse the weather is, the better it is for Lowry. I’d want a absolute ****storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Is there a reason why the BBC homepage states "Northern Ireland's Shane Lowry"?

glasso wrote: »
    Not surprising at all really as his provenance is beyond repute.

485779.jpeg
    The way things are going in Offaly gaa he could be the best hurler and golfer in Offaly.

Lack of even basic knowledge ?

sky88 wrote: »
    Didn’t he have a 4 shot lead at us open as well? Hopefully learned a lot from that

Yep.

US Open 2016 (3rd Round)
    Shane Lowry -7
    Dustin Johnson -3
    Andrew Landry -3

US Open 2016 (Final Round)
    Dustin Johnson -4
    Shane Lowry -1
    Jim Furyk -1
    Scott Piercy -1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Trying to claim him lol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lack of even basic knowledge ?
    Farage or Boris must be writing the article :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Yep.

US Open 2016 (3rd Round)
    Shane Lowry -7
    Dustin Johnson -3
    Andrew Landry -3

US Open 2016 (Final Round)
    Dustin Johnson -4
    Shane Lowry -1
    Jim Furyk -1
    Scott Piercy -1

That was the Chambers Bay open wasn't it? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Am looking at the homepage now and not seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,028 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Their app clearly says "Ireland's Shane Lowery"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Oakmont 2016

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Nope. Oakmont hosted the US Open in 2016. Chambers Bay was 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,556 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maybe Shane needs to take his time a bit more. He certainly didn't suffer from playing alongside Holmes.
    Shane is definitely not a slow player so maybe he needs to give himself a bit more time than he normally does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I like Koepka, and he has played well so far, but talk of him being the best player tee to green all week is just plain wrong, and on the verge of ridiculous. 24 players have hit more GIR's than him, which is the best metric for this. The best player tee to green is the guy currently sitting 4 clear of the yield, and SEVEN clear of Brooks. Brooks is also mid ranked in terms of driving accuracy.

Koepka has missed putts but so has everyone else, our Shane has had his fair share of shaved by the hole misses with the putter and chips/pitches. Even if that were true anyway, so what, greens aren't one big bucket where the hole goes, it's only part of the challenge. Noticeable that Shane has made most of his birdie putts from very close-in so he's clearly doing something right.

Shane is good value for his healthy lead and having seen pretty much every minute of the coverage so far he has been the stand-out player in the field by a significant margin.

Big turnaround for Shane regardless of what happens tomorrow, he lost his PGA tour card less than 12 months ago and tomorrow is 1 year to the day since this story:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-set-to-split-from-caddy-following-poor-run-of-form-37140147.html

"I'm not enjoying my golf at the minute, and my golf is not really enjoying me and that's the way it is, and it's hard to take."

It's obviously not nice for his former caddy but his caddy now (I assume his permanent caddy) looks to be a great influence on his game. They look to communicate very well and he's confident enough to tell him the shot is the right call, which I'd imagine is a big plus for him.

He has lost leads like this before but that tournament was quite bunched in terms of play, with a lot of weather delays I seem to recall he had to play about 27 holes a day on both Saturday and Sunday, and he just looked physically drained on the last day. He's playing much later in the day here and having started the tournament early enough on Thursday it's not like it has been especially gruelling.

Bookies odds

Lowry 4/6
    Fleetwood 4/1
    Koepka 12/1
    Rose 25/1
    Holmes 45/1

4/6 implies a 60% chance. But that means there is a 40% chance he may lose it, which is a lot. I think the experience of the US Open 2016 will help him. But couple of bogeys from Lowry and couple of birdies from Fleetwood early on and we're level. This is far from over.

Their app clearly says "Ireland's Shane Lowery"
    Well, clearly they changed it.

485780.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

No matter what happens tomorrow, that was a sensational round of golf and I enjoyed every minute of it.
    I won't see a ball hit tomorrow as I will be on a flight - so, enjoy everybody and the very best of luck to Shane.

Advertisement