Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concerts being ruined by mobile phones and people not participating

Options
  • 20-07-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I'm watching live concerts on YouTube from Metallica , slipknot , machine head to maiden
    and so on from the 90s up to now and obviously as I get to the current time, fans are just standing there recording the concert or snapchatting

As I watch the older concerts the crowds tend to be more involved (jumping /moshing/singing etc) v the modern crowd and the concerts seems much better from a crowd aspect

Why wouldn't bands try to bring in a ban at their gigs or a policy of no recording to help and make the gigs better ?

I know it's impossible to police but at least if they have a policy certain fan bases might start following

It's just a pity is all.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'd be guilty of this from time to time, but I might film one track at the most as I use the clip as part of my review of a gig or festival, I know what you mean though with people filming for the whole gig. Mind you I don't regret the footage your man took of Aphex Twin concert at Coachella 2019 as his concert wasn't officially streamed for the festival's youtube channel.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Yeah people should be forced to enjoy concerts....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

wally1990 wrote: »
    I'm watching live concerts on YouTube from Metallica , slipknot , machine head to maiden
    and so on from the 90s up to now and obviously as I get to the current time, fans are just standing there recording the concert or snapchatting

As I watch the older concerts the crowds tend to be more involved (jumping /moshing/singing etc) v the modern crowd and the concerts seems much better from a crowd aspect

Why wouldn't bands try to bring in a ban at their gigs or a policy of no recording to help and make the gigs better ?

I know it's impossible to police but at least if they have a policy certain fan bases might start following

It's just a pity is all.......

I’m missing something, aren’t I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yes, the videos hes watching were filmed by the band themselves or people working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Im referring to people on their mobile phone using Snapchat or personal videos

Videos I'm watching are proper recordings authorised by the band's

My post is just about asking fans to avoid using their mobile phones during the concert

It's just to try and have the crowd more involved and be in the moment rather than watching it through their phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yes, the videos hes watching were filmed by the band themselves or people working for them.

Yes I got that much. I was also thinking why is the OP sitting there watching videos of live concerts, while complaining that the crowd aren’t jumping around like they used to? Do they not see how contradictory their observations are?

The OP has a point insofar as the nature of live performances has changed, of course it has, but the people at the event don’t appear to be enjoying themselves any less than previous generations. They’re just enjoying the performance differently is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was at the Hot 8 Brass Band during the week in the Button Factory. Minimal phone recordings, very little chatting and the crowd were going wild at times for the songs and were completely participating with singing and doing the hip hop thing. It was great, I guess the difference is the people who turned up weren't just there for a night out, they went to see a band they really wanted to see live.

I don't mind the phones that much but the chatting drives me nuts - the closer to the front the less there is so I try and move up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I have the opposite view, it angers me that people stick their nose in my business given that I paid for the ticket, I am a misanthropist so people annoy me all the time but I don't say anything to them, I don't have a problem that people dislike recording on phones but you shouldn't cross the line and actually say something to them, I recently was at a soccer game and a couple of people actually shouted at me for recording a 2 minute video on my phone, if I paid for the expensive ticket I can do whatever I want, I really have a deep resentment for humans, I can't express that enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Awwww, I bet you're a pussycat really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if I paid for the expensive ticket I can do whatever I want,
    not really. If you go to a cinema and start eating stinking food or talking loudly you should be fcuked out. In the 90s if you brought a camcorder in and recorded a gig you would be likely thrown out -not sure why it is so tolerated nowadays. It can be a ban on "professional" equipment and many bog standard phones would be as good as professional equipment in the 90s.

It might be against the rules if you look at the small print on tickets. In slane audio recorders and video recorders were banned, that would technically be most phones.

If you are blocking peoples view by sticking your phone/camera in the air you are also a prize cnut, just like cinema chatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yes I got that much. I was also thinking why is the OP sitting there watching videos of live concerts, while complaining that the crowd aren’t jumping around like they used to? Do they not see how contradictory their observations are?

Why necessarily contradictory? Maybe the OP does go to concerts and gets involved, doesn’t prevent them from also watching concert recordings at home. And in any case the complaint relates to how people behave when they attend concerts, not what they do at home (back in the days there would also have been people watching concerts more passively at home or these recordings wounded exist, the difference the OP is pointing at only relates to those present at the concert).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

If people turned their screen contrast down it wouldn't be as annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

I never understood this practice. Besides, does anyone ever actually watch the (most likely) poor quality videos that they film on their phones after a concert? Put the phone away and enjoy the concert!

And yes, I'm an old fart.

I normally use a small Sony camera and a Nikon camera which I hold in front of me slightly raised but not in anyone else's eye line, if I do use the phone I hold that in front of me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's everywhere not just gigs. A neighbour of mine is a retired photographer and still does the odd wedding on the side and he says it's a nightmare getting people out of the way so he can take the official photos. Trying to get pics of the bride walking down the aisle is a nightmare apparantly with all the phones leaning out from the seats blocking his view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Bob24 wrote: »
    Why necessarily contradictory? Maybe the OP does go to concerts and gets involved, doesn’t prevent them from also watching concert recordings at home. And in any case the complaint relates to how people behave when they attend concerts, not what they do at home (back in the days there would also have been people watching concerts more passively at home or these recordings wounded exist, the difference the OP is pointing at only relates to those present at the concert).

Just to answer , I actually do go to gigs (about 2 a year ) and honestly I never ever have used a video on my phone or snapchat

I literally do get involved , but I would wish more would .

I wonder what bands themselves think?

I watched a video recently of machine head playing a live concert and the lead singer at the start of one of the songs said something like get rid of the phones or put them down for this song

Even on a side note , when I get a Snapchat or Instagram of someone at a concert I instantly skip it because either the video or sound is ****e but it's more of 'hey look I'm at this gig'

Each to their own but it's just an observation of mine and an opinion that I would like people to not be having the phones stuck in the air recording or sending a Snapchat of the gig

Maybe I'm slowly getting old (and I'm only 28 :)

Young snappers with their phones:P

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I knew a fella who went to a United match, had the girlfriend record the game at home, then went through the crowd shots to find himself when he returned.

Must have had a mild case of Cotards Delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

It’s all about uploading to your Instagram story nowadays. Thousands of people uploading the same footage to their stories, just so their friends can see they were at the concert. It’s gotten to the stage where if you don’t upload a photo or video of something you’ve eaten or place you’ve been then you haven’t really been there. Very sad really, but that’s the narcissist generation for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not keen on the practice however as I mentioned in previous post at the Iveagh gardens the other night a group of three lads who appeared to go out of their way to latch on to people who put cameras up and giving them a piece of their mind they were in no way polite whatsoever must have been 4 or 5 people they confronted and this was only in the first 2-3 songs, they appeared to be revelling in some of the negative reactions they were getting too at one point one of them saw me watching what they were doing and looked like they were looking for a nod of approval!, they nearly had one girl in tears who was pointing to the sea of phones in front they told her move there so, killing the mood others in the area too I had to move.

At indoor shows particularly I often wonder why the people who want to get a few photos or low quality vids take up space in the standing section when that activity is probably best done from a stationary position ya know like sitting down perhaps.

At Metallica at Slane it seemed from the high quality official vids the band put up on Youtube a large portion of those who went Gold circle had done so for photo opportunity than live it more.

Overall I'm all for those lock packs to be introduced but if things remain as they are as someone else said it's none of my business how someone enjoys a gig if that's their bag fair enough they've paid for a ticket the same as meself I've never had any less enjoyment from a show because of it.

Bands intending to release official live recording should definitely take measures to eradicate phones from the audience was watching Alter Bridge in Royal Albert Hall recently good band performance but the shots of the audience with a heap of phones defo looks a bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I was at a concert recently in the 3arena where the person in front of me decided to facetime (I think) their mother during the concert and for a few seconds, all I could see was the woman's face. Thankfully someone told her to turn it off. Ridiculous.

This is why I love Eddie Vedder concerts as phones are banned. More artists need to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

People chatting throughout gigs is much more annoying than the phone thing. Any gig nowadays that is going to attract event junkies is full of these people. It's why I generally have a much better time seeing a local band that costs no more than a tenner than paying 70 quid and being surrounded by twats who are not even pretending to be interested in what's on stage.

Before camera phones I used to regularly bring a camera to gigs and take a few pics during the set. I do the same now with my phone. Anyone filming entire songs throughout a gig deserves to be told off. Even worse when it's a an iPad or some other bigger devise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Some twat started blocking my view at a concert in Marley park last year by holding his phone up in the air. Told him to take it down - he ignored me so I 'accidently' knocked it out of his hands when I was jumping up and cheering.

Took him a while to get it off the ground without him getting trampled, I was amazed the phone was still working after being underfoot.

Can't understand why people go to concerts only to watch them on the tiny screen they have on the phone. Would be great if someone could invent some kind of system that damaged any phone video camera in use during a concert!

BTW, I don't have an issue with someone taking a couple of still shots during the concert for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I am guessing professionally done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

I have the opposite view, it angers me that people stick their nose in my business given that I paid for the ticket, I am a misanthropist so people annoy me all the time but I don't say anything to them, I don't have a problem that people dislike recording on phones but you shouldn't cross the line and actually say something to them, I recently was at a soccer game and a couple of people actually shouted at me for recording a 2 minute video on my phone, if I paid for the expensive ticket I can do whatever I want, I really have a deep resentment for humans, I can't express that enough.

I can't express enough how much I despise people who think that because they paid for a ticket to something, that they can infringe on other peoples enjoyment of it by being completely inconsiderate. Hopefully instead of shouting at you, someone might go further and demonstrate more forcefully how to behave correctly in a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I normally use a small Sony camera and a Nikon camera which I hold in front of me slightly raised but not in anyone else's eye line, if I do use the phone I hold that in front of me too.
    But why notactually turn off the camera and watch the concert throught your eyes. It looks better and enjoy it

But why notactually turn off the camera and watch the concert throught your eyes. It looks better and enjoy it

I only ever record one or two excerpts, I do watch most of the concert with my eyes, I like to emphasise maybe one or two tracks or the atmosphere for my blog review. Nothing wrong with that and I take care not to disturb others enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Deagol wrote: »
    Some twat started blocking my view at a concert in Marley park last year by holding his phone up in the air. Told him to take it down - he ignored me so I 'accidently' knocked it out of his hands when I was jumping up and cheering.

If ya can't beat the twats become one too, well done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The people who video small concerts or indoor concerts/shows are a**holes. Plain an simple. It's disrespectful to the artist and people in the audience. It shows total ignorance and arrogance: That their enjoyment should come at the expense of those around them that are annoyed. They should be kicked out.

"Oh, but I wanted videos. I wanted to show somebody. I wanted to remember. I paid to be here just like you so I'm entitled" "Yeah? Well, if I wanted to watch on a f*cking screen I would have watched on TV".

A**holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Im referring to people on their mobile phone using Snapchat or personal videos

Videos I'm watching are proper recordings authorised by the band's

My post is just about asking fans to avoid using their mobile phones during the concert

It's just to try and have the crowd more involved and be in the moment rather than watching it through their phone
    Seems like common sense but so many people insist on diluting any good experience by viewing it(life) through a phone. I thank God I wasn't born 15 or so years later though coming of age in the middle of all the tech changes poses it's own problems. Not being on 'social media' has caused me to lose track of most of my friends who don't live in the area. Put the phones down! Should be banned @ concerts.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

Advertisement