Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EB License for towing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

Ya did my BE test last week and past first time

What was involved in it? I mean was it very difficult? lots of reversing etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Do you seriously need to apply for the theory test again?
    I already hold a full B and C licence for several years. Is there a seperate theory test for a trailer or do they actually expect me to sit the car theory test again like some dope?

If I pass the EC test I presume the I get the BE with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

jmreire wrote: »
    What was involved in it? I mean was it very difficult? lots of reversing etc?

Same as a standard driving test including the reverse around a corner with the trailer. Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

AFAIK if you want to add another category to your driving licence then you have to pass a theory test before you sit the actual driving test irrespective of your previous driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Base price wrote: »
    AFAIK if you want to add another category to your driving licence then you have to pass a theory test before you sit the actual driving test irrespective of your previous driving experience.

If you have ever passeda theory test for the car you don't need to do it again. I had to do it as I am a dinosaur that pre dated the theory test with my licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

I already hold a full B and C licence for several years. Is there a seperate theory test for a trailer or do they actually expect me to sit the car theory test again like some dope?

If you done the C theory test it’ll cover you.

I think you will need to pass the E+ category theory tests prior to doing a manual driving test in any category. I think if you pass the C+E driving test then you are automatically covered for towing B, C1 and C classed vehicles within the legal standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I don’t have the license yet but I can get my 80 yr old mother to pull the 14’ cattle box fully loaded no bother as she’s fully licensed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I don’t have the license yet but I can get my 80 yr old mother to pull the 14’ cattle box fully loaded no bother as she’s fully licensed

She can drive the local school bus aswell.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you’ve previously done a theory test then no.
    But if you never sat a theory test then yes you will have to do it.

• Advertisement

Yep and at 80 years of age she is probably a better driver than most of the younger ***** that I meet daily on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is the actual driving test for a BE licence similar to that of a normal test? I don't think I'd be able for that with a trailer (reverse parking into a space etc)... But maybe I'm just not a great driver!

Apologies for the multiple posts, I cant seem to delete them.

Have a friend who did it last year and he said It’s the very same test on the same route as regular B test.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

got my license 2 years ago. didn't have to do the theory test as i had already done one for car license in 2002. paid 35 to get the provisional license. then paid 250 for a training package deal which comprised of a 2 hour lesson plus another 2 hour pre-test lesson including hire of the jeep and trailer for the test. had to renew my regular drivers license for 55 2 months before the test and when passed the test had to shell out another 55 to get another new license with the trailer category attached. test cost 85. so total spent then was 425.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    Have a friend who did it last year and he said It’s the very same test on the same route as regular B test.

Same test with a trailer and all that entails. But no three point turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Apologies for the multiple posts, I cant seem to delete them.

You have a short time after you post to edit a post so pick edit and then the delete option. But we can delete them later when we come across them so don't worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is the actual driving test for a BE licence similar to that of a normal test? I don't think I'd be able for that with a trailer (reverse parking into a space etc)... But maybe I'm just not a great driver!

Its very easy, start off in the lorry area, back around a corner, then just spin around and do a hill start at some stage. Just pull straight back into lorry area to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Its very easy, start off in the lorry area, back around a corner, then just spin around and do a hill start at some stage. Just pull straight back into lorry area to finish

Its not bad but to me the reverse around the corner was difficult as i normally only open the door and turn around and for this you have to use the mirrors. The test needs practice if its a long time since you did one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Box09 wrote: »
    Its not bad but to me the reverse around the corner was difficult as i normally only open the door and turn around and for this you have to use the mirrors. The test needs practice if its a long time since you did one.

Ye I suppose the reversing depends on how you're used to doing it. The father here can't reverse using mirrors but it's all I'd use

• Advertisement

Box09 wrote: »

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't be the best at backing, anytime I do back I'd always try and angle it in a straight line to make it easier so it's something I'll have to work on.

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't be the best at backing, anytime I do back I'd always try and angle it in a straight line to make it easier so it's something I'll have to work on.

Had a lad on picking up cattle here last week, tri axle behind a land cruiser, was a master at reversing it, I’d be good enough but this lad was a class act altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

arctictree wrote: »
    I got my BE provisional 3 years ago. Had to renew it last year. Been stopped a number of times by guards and they were just happy I had the licence. Said nothing about L plates or being accompanied.

Your lucky you keep meeting stupid Gardai, especially with Clancy's law, and even luckier that you haven't hit anyone as you have no insurance when driving outside the terms of your permit/licence, insurance companies have started to recoup the money that they pay to 3rd parties from the uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. Fair play to her. Saves you needing to buy diesel or even to have the jeep in the first place. She must struggle pulling it up the hills though? Does she have a special harness made up or does she just grab a hold of the drawbar with her hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

bb12 wrote: »
    got my license 2 years ago. didn't have to do the theory test as i had already done one for car license in 2002. paid 35 to get the provisional license. then paid 250 for a training package deal which comprised of a 2 hour lesson plus another 2 hour pre-test lesson including hire of the jeep and trailer for the test. had to renew my regular drivers license for 55 2 months before the test and when passed the test had to shell out another 55 to get another new license with the trailer category attached. test cost 85. so total spent then was 425.

That tells you all you need to know imo. Similar cost for myself when doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The only thing you dont do with the trailer is a 3 point turn

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Jaysus. Fair play to her. Saves you needing to buy diesel or even to have the jeep in the first place. She must struggle pulling it up the hills though? Does she have a special harness made up or does she just grab a hold of the drawbar with her hands?

No she pulls it with her teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you have a regular full license, and then do the eb test in an auto jeep does it make any odds?

Advertisement