Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluoride and drinking water

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

donaghs wrote: »
    A lot of my reading says that the older perceived benefits of "systemic" (ingested) fluoride have been overrated, and the effects of "topical" (contact with your teeth) have been underestimated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10086928

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15153698

Young children in Ireland still get cavities. My kids tell about their peers having to get filings etc. They shouldn't, but maybe they are eating to many sweet and not brushing their teeth properly.

I think it's better to say, "May have been overrated," unless the studies you quote (which are literature reviews I think criticizing the methodologies of the earlier studies), don't include a 'we studied children grown up in non-fluoridated water environments as a control and compared them to those that are, but don't otherwise use fluoride toothpastes' and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I generally don't jump into topics like this so late on, but sure, on the off chance....
    Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth.

Show us the studies?

The latest I heard is that it doesn't protect teeth for those that look after their teeth. For poorer disadvantaged people it is beneficial, and not harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Don't you think brushing teeth is a better solution?
    I must have missed the government campaign to abolish brushing of teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What about those of us who don't want a medicated water supply?

Youll have to stop drinking all water, cos it occurs naturally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Don't you think brushing teeth is a better solution?
    I must have missed the government campaign to abolish brushing of teeth.

If topical fluoride works best by brushing. And you already ingest naturally occurring fluoride in water, fruit/veg and meat, why add more to the water supply?

The days of people cleaning teeth with a rag and a salt/chimney soot mix are long gone. Similarly Charlie Haughey sending a toothbrush to all school children. All I’m saying is that from my reading of all this, the best way to get fluoride to protect teeth is to apply it topically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

If topical fluoride works best by brushing. And you already ingest naturally occurring fluoride in water, fruit/veg and meat, why add more to the water supply?

The days of people cleaning teeth with a rag and a salt/chimney soot mix are long gone. Similarly Charlie Haughey sending a toothbrush to all school children. All I’m saying is that from my reading of all this, the best way to get fluoride to protect teeth is to apply it topically.

Why stop something that is harmless and will benefit those who may not have the best dental hygiene.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of people are getting worked up over the pros and cons of adding fluoride to water.

This is making a lot of people anxious.

But thankfully there is a solution. We just need to add enough lithium ...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tony Tucker

So the gubberment is worried about our teeth... lol

Such BS. Very few devoloped countries in the world do this. Why is it needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

A lot of people are getting worked up over the pros and cons of adding fluoride to water.

This is making a lot of people anxious.

But thankfully there is a solution. We just need to add enough lithium ...

Not a bad idea, lot of people are deficient in it

Youll have to stop drinking all water, cos it occurs naturally too.

It's a different form that exists naturally though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Seanachai wrote: »
    It's a different form that exists naturally though

How is it different?

Lux23 wrote: »
    How is it different?

Calcium fluoride occurs in minute amounts at different levels depending on the source and is relatively harmless at lower doses, Hexafluorosilicic acid is a byproduct of smokestack slurry and exacerbates aluminium and arsenic absorption among other harms.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/tsca_21_petition_hfsa_2013-04-22.pdf

Calcium fluoride occurs in minute amounts at different levels depending on the source and is relatively harmless at lower doses, Hexafluorosilicic acid is a byproduct of smokestack slurry and exacerbates aluminium and arsenic absorption among other harms.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/tsca_21_petition_hfsa_2013-04-22.pdf

So it's the impurities in the fluoridating agents that are the problem and not flouride itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

Why should we have to drink fluoridated water if it's been shown to have it's affect on teeth topically, hence why dentist polish your teeth with it. Why have we to ingest it? In the United States, it was encouraged as harmless to use fluoridated water for baby formula but they have since backtracked on this!

And if it's harmless to drink at a so-called 'optimal level', what happens when the fluoride concentration is increased through boiling, for cooking and tea making?? Not to mention, showering probably to a lesser extent.

I don't give a **** but the water I drink from a private well is alien to whatever it is that comes out of the tap.

With all those pro-fluoride studies where they supposedly and conveniently show that cavities increase after ending fluoridation...Did everyone stop brushing their teeth aswell? I mean ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Nice little quango for it too:

"Fine Gael was opposed to compulsory water fluoridation but they now support the policy.[105] Fianna Fail is in favour of compulsory water fluoridation and in 2004 Micheal Martin set up the pro-fluoride Irish Expert Body on Fluorides and Health."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation_by_country

jh79 wrote: »
    So it's the impurities in the fluoridating agents that are the problem and not flouride itself?

It's the source, type of fluoride and the exposure levels, it's not the short-term risk but the cumulative effect over a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Countless studies have shown fluoride in drinking water does not protect teeth.

Yes it does. And that is why its in toothpaste.

Its also naturally occurring in the food you eat.

Rain has fluoride in it. All veg and fruits have it.

It remineralizes your teeth and bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You know they also fortify milk and bread....spooky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I was back home recently and sweet jesus the water out of the tap is awful. Over here in Spain there is no fluoride added to the water and it shows, absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Serious question.. is it safe to drink water straight from the tap?

I only ever use bottled water.

Well - you should be able to make 44 anyway like I did.
    I'll keep reporting back at intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was back home recently and sweet jesus the water out of the tap is awful. Over here in Spain there is no fluoride added to the water and it shows, absolutely delicious.

Yeah because you can totally taste the flouride that has been added to the water :rolleyes:

It's the source, type of fluoride and the exposure levels, it's not the short-term risk but the cumulative effect over a few decades.

Fluoride is an element so there is only one type.

In it's 60+ year history there is no convincing evidence that it causes any problems bar cosmetic staining of teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

jh79 wrote: »
    Fluoride is an element so there is only one type.

In it's 60+ year history there is no convincing evidence that it causes any problems bar cosmetic staining of teeth.

It shouldn't be in water chemicals should only be in water if nessecary to prevent bacteria fluoride isn't nessecary so it shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keithonroll

I would recommend Watercare for drinking water filters in Ireland. They are simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Lucky me , I have a well

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be in water chemicals should only be in water if nessecary to prevent bacteria fluoride isn't nessecary so it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Why does it matter? It''s harmless at our levels

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Stephen15 wrote: »

Water is a chemical compound. Should we remove the H or the O?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

There are many reasons for water tasting good or bad- the presence of fluoride is not one of them. They have starting blending water from two different rivers for my water supply- the change is noticeable, but that is because the rivers themselves run through very different geological areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if fluoride in the water supply is a good idea, why do so few countries do it? is this one of those things in which ireland knows best, such as burning turf and not charging for water by usage?

• Advertisement

if fluoride in the water supply is a good idea, why do so few countries do it? is this one of those things in which ireland knows best, such as burning turf and not charging for water by usage?

In other countries it might be already in the water or added to salt instead.

Advertisement