Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older dog coughing and panting at night

Options
  • 16-07-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My dog has starting coughing/panting and sometimes gagging at night. She doesn’t vomit. Last night she actually woke me up!!! She doesn’t do it during the day. Just wondering has anyone come across this before...is it a heat thing?
    She is 12 this year. Sleeps in a dog bed on the floor in our room.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My dog has starting coughing/panting and sometimes gagging at night. She doesn’t vomit. Last night she actually woke me up!!! She doesn’t do it during the day. Just wondering has anyone come across this before...is it a heat thing?
    She is 12 this year. Sleeps in a dog bed on the floor in our room.
    Thanks

Coughing can be related to numerous things OP .. kennel cough, heart conditions etc

Given her age OP I’d get her fully checked over by a vet..

Panting can be linked to heat and it has been warm over the last week but it can also be linked to pain and stress.. so again I’d recommend a full vet check up to make sure it’s nothing sinister

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

cocker5 wrote: »
    Coughing can be related to numerous things OP .. kennel cough, heart conditions etc

Given her age OP I’d get her fully checked over by a vet..

Panting can be linked to heat and it has been warm over the last week but it can also be linked to pain and stress.. so again I’d recommend a full vet check up to make sure it’s nothing sinister

Oh gosh I really really don’t want any bad news from the vet :(
    Don’t think it is kennel cough. She had that when we first camr to us from the pound.
    She is grand during the day which makes it confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭McHonda

Our little terrier had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. This was leading to fluid buildup on the lungs resulting in the cough/gagging. The good news is that once diagnosed he was put on the right medication and he is going strong now 18mths since diagnosed! Definitely worth a trip to the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

I would book in with the vet OP especially given the age. My mam's dog had a heart issue which caused similar symptoms, and more, to what you've described. The cough etc was worse when he lay flat so he often positioned himself so that he was stretched upwards along the arm of the sofa, his butt being on the seat but his chest propped up by the arm if you get me. That seemed to give him some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Bring to vet as she may need to be diagnosed and given medication to treat . If you were coughing etc and breathing unusual at night you’d need to be seen by doctor.....it’s the same for your dog :)

It may be very easily fixed but if things aren’t dealt with the dog could be in pain or get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

McHonda wrote: »
    Our little terrier had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. This was leading to fluid buildup on the lungs resulting in the cough/gagging. The good news is that once diagnosed he was put on the right medication and he is going strong now 18mths since diagnosed! Definitely worth a trip to the vet

Same with my little girl last year, but she died. PLEASE, OP. Do not risk that grief .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My other dog had cardiomyopathy but didn’t do this. She used to see a lady in UCD for it. Anyway I will bring her to vets. She was grand last night. :)
    Thanks

Advertisement