Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't people allowed to be angry about a person under a train?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Stheno wrote: »
    Nobody died or was injured though.

Get over yourself

They were. One of the wheelchair uses was bruised from being jostled and hit in the face with the sharp edge of someone's bag. A woman fainted and banged her head. But sure, what do they matter?

ratracer wrote: »
    If the train was stopped at the station with the doors open, why didn’t you just get off and use an alternative means of transport?

Because, Sherlock, nobody would get off the train to let anyone else out.

Not so hard now, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The poor guy obviously had issues

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They were. One of the wheelchair uses was bruised from being jostled and hit in the face with the sharp edge of someone's bag. A woman fainted and banged her head. But sure, what do they matter?

Bruising and fainting?
    Again. Get over yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Like....could you be any less self aware?

Ah here :pac:

Lads, I suspect we’re being led a merry dance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah here :pac:

Lads, I suspect we’re being led a merry dance.

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You should turn up at the funeral and tell their next of kin the trails and tribulations you have suffered because of the deceased. Please let us know how it turns out.

branie2 wrote: »
    The poor guy obviously had issues

And who is denying this? I haven't seen a single tweet or post from anybody saying anything different. It's a tragic and awful thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Nobody died or was injured though.

Get over yourself

There are worse things than dying. Having a child who suffers and then dies of leukaemia, and yet the parents have to go on living because they have other children who deserve a 'normal' childhood, to my mind I'd rather die than that.

And I'm thinking of people I know, this is something that happens. And some of those people could be on that train, or maybe needing to get to hospital to visit a loved one.

In the past, the religious view was that someone who committed suicide was evil, which was obviously wrong, but I wonder if we've gone too far to the other extreme now and it's nearly like they're all saints.

Bruising and fainting?
    Again. Get over yourself

Oh yes, 'just' a nasty bang on the back of the head. Nobody ever died later from a serious head injury.

For someone who seems to think they're such a good person, you don't have much empathy for people who were injured while just trying to get from A to B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wonder will we see a time and we'll see people trying to get compensation off the victim's family?
    Will people sue for a missed hair appointment, concert, distress of being late for n event,etc.

volchitsa wrote: »
    There are worse things than dying. Having a child who suffers and then dies of leukaemia, and yet the parents have to go on living because they have other children who deserve a 'normal' childhood, to my mind I'd rather die than that.

And I'm thinking of people I know, this is something that happens. And some of those people could be on that train, or maybe needing to get to hospital to visit a loved one.

In the past, the religious view was that someone who committed suicide was evil, which was obviously wrong, but I wonder if we've gone too far to the other extreme now and it's nearly like they're all saints.

Exactly my point.

There's this weird attitude that everyone else's problems are totally irrelevant, even if they got injured in the chaos, because they weren't the person who died.

is there no middle ground between calling the jumper selfish and calling the people complaining about the jumper selfish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Deplorable, indeed. How terribly selfish of me to be one of the few passengers looking out for the people in wheelchairs, trying to protect them from being trampled and jostled, and trying to find someone with better local knowledge help an elderly lady find her way home while she was sobbing her heart out about missing her hospital appointment.

Sorry for giving a f*ck about all the other people who were seriously impacted this evening. You're obviously such a great person and think none of them matter because one person died.

Slow clap.
    I don’t get it, you are saying they were all impacted this evening but earlier you said people were on the way to work and hospital appointments?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I actually agree with the OP in this case, to be honest. I have nothing but respect and sympathy for those who have suicidal thoughts, having been there myself on several occasions during a very dark period, but choosing to do it in a way which involves so many other people is incredibly inconsiderate. Can you imagine being the driver of that train, for example? I'd be shocked if many people who experience this didn't end up needing serious, long term counselling because of it. I did unfortunately entertain very serious and almost acted upon thoughts of suicide in my early twenties, but not once did I ever think of doing it in a way which would directly involve, and therefore harm, other people.

It's similar to my attitude towards murder-suicides, often done by parents who take their kids with them - it immediately lessens my sympathy for the individual in a major way. Suicide is a personal tragedy and unfortunately sometimes an unavoidable one. Directly involving other people in the process, however, is entirely within the victim's power to choose to avoid.

Ha, I thought I recognised the OP, one of those self obsessed types that always leaves your eyes rolling after reading a thread. Turns out it is indeed the same person that once prompted me to write:
    Absolutely no surprise then that her first thought on hearing that somebody could have died was "This isn't fair, what about me me me".

Don't fall for all that crap about sickly grandmothers and wheelchairs rusting, thats just window dressing for the real victim of the piece, miss drama herself.

Jesus, thats classic!

Yes , I’ll second that, I’ve read OP’s posts before and they’re all about her!

Listen we’ve all got stuff going on , we’ve all had our tragedies. I lost a child to a brain tumor and my cousin committed suicide and it had a devastating effect on his young wife and kids. Yes Lainey I too suffered from deep depression but guess what , that’s my stuff.. everybody gets something. None of us are special just because we’ve been dealt a tough hand!

I’ve often been on the London Underground and I understand it’s hot and claustrophobic but if there is a delay due to a suicide my thoughts are with the poor family and the poor train driver, not with the passengers. Disruption to our daily routine is called LIFE!

I wonder will we see a time and we'll see people trying to get compensation off the victim's family?
    Will people sue for a missed hair appointment, concert, distress of being late for n event,etc.

yes, because everyone else in the world is just doing something trivial.

Nobody is heading to visit a loved one in hospital, or trying to get to hospital themselves, or doing anything important.

I see you STILL don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,027 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't expect anyone to get upset over me being dead,

I wasn't talking about upset at your death, why would you expect anybody to give a **** about you being delayed or inconvenienced?

Empathy and sympathy isn't a one way street, even among random strangers. Create an uncaring world and suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Remember before the Internet when at least you only suspected what went on in many people's heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You should turn up at the funeral and tell their next of kin the trails and tribulations you have suffered because of the deceased. Please let us know how it turns out.

And I'm sure nobody would show up at a funeral of someone drunk driving who killed themselves and tell them it was their fault. That doesn't mean we can't criticize the action or complain about the effect it has on us or those close to us.

Selfishness will ultimately be the undoing of the human race. So wrapped up in our own little worlds that we can barely spare a thought for a man that felt the need to throw himself under a train.

I don’t even blame the OP, we are just hardwired that way.

40 hours a week in work, 10 hours commuting, other responsibilities, low salaries compared to cost of living, not enough sleep... not hard to see why people are offing themselves and others can barely care.

• Advertisement

I actually agree with the OP in this case, to be honest. I have nothing but respect and sympathy for those who have suicidal thoughts, having been there myself on several occasions during a very dark period, but choosing to do it in a way which involves so many other people is incredibly inconsiderate. Can you imagine being the driver of that train, for example? I'd be shocked if many people who experience this didn't end up needing serious, long term counselling because of it. I did unfortunately entertain very serious and almost acted upon thoughts of suicide in my early twenties, but not once did I ever think of doing it in a way which would directly involve, and therefore harm, other people.

It's similar to my attitude towards murder-suicides, often done by parents who take their kids with them - it immediately lessens my sympathy for the individual in a major way. Suicide is a personal tragedy and unfortunately sometimes an unavoidable one. Directly involving other people in the process, however, is entirely within the victim's power to choose to avoid.

I see your logic here, but I think that in the depths of despair, the person involved just isn't thinking in a rational way. I don't think calling them selfish is fair because in many cases they may just make this split second decision to end it.

The problem I have is with nobody else being allowed to be upset about the impact it had on them, as if everyone other than the person involved is irrelevant.

Selfishness will ultimately be the undoing of the human race. So wrapped up in our own little worlds that we can barely spare a thought for a man that felt the need to throw himself under a train.

I don’t even blame the OP, we are just hardwired that way.

40 hours a week in work, 10 hours commuting, other responsibilities, low salaries compared to cost of living, not enough sleep... not hard to see why people are offing themselves and others can barely care.

How many of the people affected have thought about doing the same? Probably quite a few. Are they selfish for feeling drained and exhausted because their day is now even worse? I don't think so.

Wait now Lainey, according to Twitter the northern line was closed due to a customer incident this evening, 2 hrs ago. So, what time did the accident prevent the old lady getting to her very important hospital appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Op is angry that someone’s dead corpse caused them to get stuck on a train for a little while.

Other posters are angry that someone has so little self awareness that they think anyone should have sympathy with their bad day in comparison with the relatives of that poor person who died.

Now that everyone’s angry can we just call it a win for After Hours and move on?

I wonder if it was your elderly mother who was sobbing, alone, terrified about missing her appointment and not being able to get another one, .

If it was my elderly mother o think I would either bring her to her appointment myself, or at the very least accompany her on the train to her appointment.
    Why can't she get another one?

bubblypop wrote: »
    If it was my elderly mother o think I would either bring her to her appointment myself, or at the very least accompany her on the train to her appointment.
    Maybe the consultant isn’t on night shifts for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What do you think?

You are seriously comparing your "ordeal" with that of the deceased? Would you think that the woman in tears missing her sons play is comparable to, let's say, the deceaseds mother who will never see her son/daughter again?

On the grand scheme of things this was a minor inconvenience for those in the tube. A story to recant at a dinner party even.

Perspective. This is an important word that recent generations don't seem to have learnt. :(

RIP to the person who ended up under the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Legalise assisted suicide no need to resort to throwing yourself under a train then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I love how you assume it hasn't happened.

It's really enlightening to see what little capacity for logical evaluation the average person seems to have. What black and white little minds.

A very, very loved family member of mine was killed in a car accident not that long ago. It was devastating. I'm sure people were caught up in the tailbacks and some of them had disasters of their own because of it. I'm sure they were cursing and ranting and thinking of their own problems, and what of it? It doesn't mean they didn't care or that they were callous, it means that one tragedy doesn't just cancel out everyone else's very real issues.

If it has happened I sympathise and I have to say it makes your response even more selfish

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »

Maybe she has no kids or family. I didn't ask.

You don't just 'get another one' when it comes to NHS waiting lists. You can be waiting months and months more. I tried to reassure her that they would understand it wasn't her fault and be able to slot her in very soon, but I don't know that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement