Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

• 15-07-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As long as they don't cast Tom Cruise, I'm interested. :)
    'Jack Reacher' TV Series in the Works at Amazon

'Scorpion' creator Nick Santora will adapt the best-selling novels by Lee Child for a potentially huge franchise for the tech giant's Prime Video platform.
    Amazon is developing a series based on the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child in what could lead to a potentially big franchise for the tech giant's Prime Video platform.

The streamer landed the rights after competitive bidding. The project is in development under a script-to-series deal, with Scorpion creator Nick Santora set to adapt the books — which have sold more than 100 million copies and been translated into 49 languages — about a military veteran who lives a nomadic life as a freelance investigator and problem-solver.

Amazon Studios will produce along with Skydance Television and Paramount Television. The three companies are also behind Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, another Amazon drama based on a best-selling series of novels.

Child's series has been adapted for two movies starring Tom Cruise, 2012's Jack Reacher and 2016's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote and directed the first film and was a producer of the sequel, is among the executive producers on the Amazon project.

Santora — who's also attached to two series for short-form streamer Quibi — will serve as showrunner and executive produce with Child, Don Granger and McQuarrie. Skydance's David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross are also exec producers; Carolyn Harris is overseeing the project for Skydance.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jack-reacher-tv-series-works-at-amazon-1224429

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cast Ray Stevenson!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The way Hollywood is going now I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Dinklage got the main role :D

Nah it would be the female boss from MacGyver.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jackie Reacher, played by Ronda Rousey. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,721 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You all joke... yet all those choices would be better than Tom Cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought Liev Schreiber could fit the bill but he'll always be Ray to me now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Cast Ray Stevenson!

as his Dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's come up in the movie forum but Cruise was good in the two movies, if you never read the books or knew the description from them he played the role well.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    You all joke... yet all those choices would be better than Tom Cruise.

I must be the only person who liked in Tom in Jack Reacher especially the first one :o

I think Joe Manganiello would be a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Fan of the books , hated Cruise in the film's. Reckon Jason Statham could do it well.

• Advertisement

Nah Statham is to skinny and small.

Manganiello is a very good shout there from Liz.

Now to cast the right Jack.

Confirmed ‘Jack Reacher’ TV Series Based On Lee Child Books Ordered By Amazon
    Amazon Studios has greenlit Jack Reacher, a drama series based on the character from Lee Child’s international bestselling series of books.

Produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television Studios, the television series will be written by Nick Santora (Scorpion, Prison Break), who will also executive produce and serve as showrunner for the series. The first season will be based on the first Jack Reacher novel, The Killing Floor.

“Lee Child has created an incredible character and world; it will be the goal of every writer, producer, actor, executive and crew member to capture the essence of Mr. Child’s books – and luckily Lee has been there, and will continue to be there, to help guide us along the way in this series. He is the pulse of Reacher,” said Santora.

Amazon has been developing Jack Reacher for the past year. Child’s Jack Reacher is a billion-dollar brand published in 49 languages and 101 territories. With more than 100 million books sold, the series has commanded over a billion dollars in global sales. Amazon Studios has had success with Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, picked up for a third season, which is also a Paramount Television and Skydance Television production.

“It’s been great so far, but really, the fun starts here. By now I know these guys, and Reacher is in the perfect hands, believe me,” said Child.

In addition to Santora, the series will be executive produced by Lee Child, Don Granger, Scott Sullivan and Christopher McQuarrie, with David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Marcy Ross executive producing for Skydance. Carolyn Harris oversees the series for Skydance.

“Lee Child’s Jack Reacher books series is a global phenomenon with one of entertainment’s most well-known heroes, and a perfect fit for Amazon Studios’ slate of bold, character-driven series,” said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios. “We look forward to expanding the of the Jack Reacher universe and bringing more thrilling action to our Amazon Prime Video audience.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Manganiello or Alexander Skarsgård would be my choices.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Admittedly I never read the books but I enjoyed Cruise in the films. They were very watchable. It's an interesting part to cast I think, hard to think of somewhere with a sheer physicality but would also be a good actor.

My pick would probably be Joe Manganiello but would he carry a big show?

Jamie from GOT is easily 6ft+, can act and would have the bugger name too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Will it be a 35 year old Reacher just out of the army or somewhere down his journey?

Can’t see Joe Mangiello at all. Skarsgard for me is too slight, in sufficiently imposing. A scaled down (ie not Thor sized) Chris Hemswroth with a military haircut might work but he won’t do this type of TV.

Garrett Hedlund is probably too young. Could Josh Hartnett impose himself enough? He has the height and presence.

Depends what age they want to make Reacher.

Kevin Durand is 6ft6 he could pull it off I think he is mid 40's

Total wild card left field pick would be Jason Segel who is 6ft4 he is in his late 30's not sure what he would be like outside the comedy world.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Will it be a 35 year old Reacher just out of the army or somewhere down his journey?

Can’t see Joe Mangiello at all. Skarsgard for me is too slight, in sufficiently imposing. A scaled down (ie not Thor sized) Chris Hemswroth with a military haircut might work but he won’t do this type of TV.

Garrett Hedlund is probably too young. Could Josh Hartnett impose himself enough? He has the height and presence.

What about Chris's older brother Luke from Westworld

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno how they get a whole season out of the first book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭wally79

Pilou Asbæk Could be good

Jackie Reacher played by 6ft 3 Gwendoline Christie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

ziedth wrote: »
    Admittedly I never read the books but I enjoyed Cruise in the films. They were very watchable. It's an interesting part to cast I think, hard to think of somewhere with a sheer physicality but would also be a good actor.

My pick would probably be Joe Manganiello but would he carry a big show?

Jamie from GOT is easily 6ft+, can act and would have the bugger name too
    Teacher is described as s 6'5" with a 50" chest and no body fat. Think Joe Mananiello if he worked out.

There is the man Reacher's size is based on.

CT7ZzHcJ.jpg
    49aefbe402857021e58873ecbbdbb981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Liam Neeson?

ah here.. how is the rock not being touted if those measurements are needed?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Slydice wrote: »

IIRC he was considered for the films..... obviously would be out of budget now...... Jason Moama?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Danville wrote: »
    Liam Neeson?

I'd say he'd be too old now at this point to play the role.
    There is the man Reacher's size is based on.
    Lawrence Dallaglio -

That's the physique alright. Which I can see it but would lead me to say Dave Bautista as a potential choice ?

Harvey is out of his suit now, so perhaps Gabriel Macht if buffed up

ziedth wrote: »
    IIRC he was considered for the films..... obviously would be out of budget now...... Jason Moama?

Google says he's 6'4'' so .. in by a squeak?

basing off the description above
    described as s 6'5" with a 50" chest and no body fat.

Slydice wrote: »

The Rock is box office gold for movies so unlikely to do a tv series but his cousin Roman Reigns if talk is less :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'm a fan of the books. Especially the earlier ones before Lee Child turned Reacher into a Superman. (more than he is now ) The latest is just silly, Reacher walking around breaking necks and shooting people. I know its fantasy but its way OTT.

I had a problem with Cruise being cast as Reacher because of the description, (6" 5" 250 lbs, all of it muscle) but the first movie was good as a movie in its own right. Second was ****e though. Even Lee Child backed down eventually after his gushing praise (shame on you Lee) on how Cruise "personified" the role.

FFs. Money talks Lee. How much do you need ? More than an Army pension and a toothbrush in your pocket it seems. You sold out.

I think a well cast unknown would suit the series. If he were younger I'd have picked David Morse as being good for the role. Tall, well built, not too handsome and can well act.

Advertisement