Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 Nations to be no longer FTA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Considering how successful Englands Rugby deal with Sky worked out in the day and the state F1 was left in after CVC ownership this move does not bode well for Rugby.

With subscriptions to Eirsports sliding after they lost BT Sports there are huge risks with over reliance on pay tv

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sure it stays on RTE people complain about the license fee or don't pay it, it moves to Virgin people complain about the lack of HD, it moves to Sky people complain. People are going to complain no matter what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Anyone seen this? https://www.rugbypass.com/news/six-nations-will-no-longer-be-shown-exclusively-on-free-to-air-tv/

Not only 6N but also AI's to be covered by subscription with a FTA element which I guess may be one game per weekend.

Wales Onliine also has some worthwhile thoughts on present Pro 14 TV coverage. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cricket-world-cup-final-come-16580201
    Interesting that they claim Welsh Premiership matches have bigger TV audience in Wales than Pro 14 yet also state that Premier Sports will not release subscriber nos.

Your hitting two very different subjects which shouldn't really be in same post.

Everything is moving to paid TV.....not just Sports. The 6 nations is probably one of the last yearly competitions that is not paid TV

For the unions to keep players they need more money and the 6 nations iscash cow, so paid TV will increase that. Without the 6 nations a lot more Irish players would be in France/England

Topic 2: Pro14

Wales complaining about the Pro14....I'm shocked. Wales online is an awful excuse for a ....no idea what it is

The WRU have made a b*lls of rugby in Wales for years now and they are part of the problem with the Pro14. If they could put out at least 2 decent teams they might get more supporters. Scarlets done well for a while and the stadium was packed, then the team was pulled apart because they had no money and they are back down the rankings.

Then the WRU come up with some idiotic plan of trying to consolidate two of the clubs.

For years now it has been said that a local match between rivals would pull more fans that the Pro14 games. If they wont go to the games why would they pay for TV to watch them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We really are spoilt over here with the quality of free to air sport, yesterday for example I was able to flick between hurling, football, tennis and cricket all for the cost of my RTE subscription. Rugby, like most other sports, is a business and will try to sell it's products for the best price they can get, if that best price comes from Sky or BBC or RTE or whoever they won't care, they will be getting the money from TV and from the match attendance. I'm sure they will also argue that the money they get from TV is better for developing the game than having people watching the game for free.

Clareman wrote: »
    We really are spoilt over here with the quality of free to air sport, yesterday for example I was able to flick between hurling, football, tennis and cricket all for the cost of my RTE subscription. Rugby, like most other sports, is a business and will try to sell it's products for the best price they can get, if that best price comes from Sky or BBC or RTE or whoever they won't care, they will be getting the money from TV and from the match attendance. I'm sure they will also argue that the money they get from TV is better for developing the game than having people watching the game for free.

RTE could invest in more sport which would drive up advertising revenue etc but they seem more content with ploughing vast amounts of money into useless presentors......

The fact the GAA still sits with them amazes me, I watch Sky and then RTE yesterday for a few match's, Sky are a mile better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This article from WalesOnline takes the exact opposite spin on the same decision - emphasising the “remain on FTA” rather than the “may be a pay-TV component”.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-just-made-game-16573072#ICID=Android_WalesOnlineNewsApp_AppShare

The problem with a split deal for a competition like the Six Nations is that every country wants their own games FTA, and where there’s only six countries, three games per round, any FTA coverage devalues pay TV rights far more greatly than the sale of one game in ten in the H Cup. At the moment however, only highlights are protected in both UK & Ireland. I think an actual move to sell the rights to pay-TV would prompt an “A” listing in Ireland at least and (although Broadcasting policy is not devolved) by the UK in respect of Wales at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Viewer numbers on pay tv are awful,was a good article about it last week. Only 5 premier league soccer games last season watched by more than 2 million. 11 million watched England in the women's WC vs USA (in England).

GAA the same, 100k watched Dublin quarter final on FTA, the following season on sky 10k watched Dublin in quarters.

Could be trouble down the road as less kids watch the games so have less interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your hitting two very different subjects which shouldn't really be in same post.

Everything is moving to paid TV.....not just Sports. The 6 nations is probably one of the last yearly competitions that is not paid TV

For the unions to keep players they need more money and the 6 nations is cash cow, so paid TV will increase that. Without the 6 nations a lot more Irish players would be in France/England

Topic 2: Pro14

Wales complaining about the Pro14....I'm shocked. Wales online is an awful excuse for a ....no idea what it is

The WRU have made a b*lls of rugby in Wales for years now and they are part of the problem with the Pro14. If they could put out at least 2 decent teams they might get more supporters. Scarlets done well for a while and the stadium was packed, then the team was pulled apart because they had no money and they are back down the rankings.

Then the WRU come up with some idiotic plan of trying to consolidate two of the clubs.

For years now it has been said that a local match between rivals would pull more fans that the Pro14 games. If they wont go to the games why would they pay for TV to watch them?

Sentences bolded are confusing me:
    (1) Re 6 N - If 6 Nations is already a cash cow and Ireland players are not going to England/France at present what difference then if 6N goes down a pay TV route?
    (2) Re Pro 14 - Are you saying that attendances at Welsh Premiership derby games are greater than at Pro 14 games in Wales? If so, where is the the evidence for this? If not, what is the point you're trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Viewer numbers on pay tv are awful,was a good article about it last week. Only 5 premier league soccer games last season watched by more than 2 million. 11 million watched England in the women's WC vs USA (in England).

GAA the same, 100k watched Dublin quarter final on FTA, the following season on sky 10k watched Dublin in quarters.

Could be trouble down the road as less kids watch the games so have less interest in it.

Look at the way cricket is gone in the Uk - a marginalized sport since it went behind a paywall with only highlights on channel 5 - the exception was yesterday when they had the final FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The 6 nations is probably one of the last yearly competitions that is not paid TV
    Wrong.

Anyway, at the moment the 6 Nations is designated as FTA under the 2009 broadcasting act but on deferred coverage.

As soon as they go anywhere near a pay TV deal, they'll move that over to a full listing for live coverage. The IRFU would get one deal out of this and after that they'd permanently diminish the value of the rights. I appreciate its not solely their decision, but if the 6 Nations goes to pay TV I'd be surprised if it didn't remain FTA in the republic at the least.

• Advertisement

Sentences bolded are confusing me:
    (1) Re 6 N - If 6 Nations is already a cash cow and Ireland players are not going to England/France at present what difference if 6N goes down a pay TV route?
    (2) Re Pro 14 - Are you saying that ttendances at Welsh Premiership derby games are greater than at Pro 14 games in Wales? If so, where is the the evidence for this? If not, what is the point you're trying to make?

(1) The 6 nations is struggling, last time they couldnt get a sponsor and took a cut price deal, the money into France/English club game is increasing more and more. If the 6 nations is not making enough money this has an knock on affect to the provinces.

(2) yes local match's get great attendance. It was discussed a number of times on different podcasts. The "regions" have no tie in to the locals in a lot of cases. Watch any of the welsh games in Pro14 and stadium is empty, even the European games they struggle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They should give more money to the losers and less to the winners so that the losers can invest and bring up the level. Kind of like how the nfl drafts give liwer ranked teams first choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    (1) The 6 nations is struggling, last time they couldnt get a sponsor and took a cut price deal, the money into France/English club game is increasing more and more. If the 6 nations is not making enough money this has an knock on affect to the provinces.

(2) yes local match's get great attendance. It was discussed a number of times on different podcasts. The "regions" have no tie in to the locals in a lot of cases. Watch any of the welsh games in Pro14 and stadium is empty, even the European games they struggle.....

I take your first point.

Regarding Welsh Premiership club games I highly doubt that any get more spectators than Pro 14 matches in Wales. Remember they're generally played at smaller grounds. Granted attendances at Pro 14 matches (excluding derbies) are disappointing partly for reason you suggest but from what I have seen on Scrum V they definitely are bigger than their amateur counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Welsh premiership matches don’t attract substantial crowds although I have heard some suggestions to that affect when Welsh people are moaning about the Pro14. If they were actually attracting great crowds the liked of Walesonline would be shouting that from the rooftops.

Couldn’t find average attendances on google but did come across this article from
    The Times noting that often Welsh premiership matches are played in front of ‘hundreds’. This was after the BBC had to apologise for adding ‘fake noise’ to a highlights package of games such was the lack of atmosphere.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-added-fake-crowd-noise-to-principality-premiership-rugby-highlights-vjbdrqv3n

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The 6 nations will end up with Serie on Channel 4 back in the 90s.

As an aside will it be available on rte player online?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Limpy wrote: »
    The 6 nations will end up with Serie on Channel 4 back in the 90s.

As an aside will it be available on rte player online?
    They should be able to do our games. I imagine that will be the FTA portion for all the unions.

Advertisement