Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The xenophobia and racism that certain posters exhibit in this thread is breathtaking! Thankfully as many have pointed out it does not represent a statistically significant amount of Irish voters, this can be noted by the complete absence of a far right anti-immigration party, any populists in the style of Greece or Italy, or any Irexit party. None of these groups can muster 20 odd people in one place at one time, thankfully. Migration is not a major issue in this country, most inbound migration is from the EU, and these people integrate with our society, go to school with our kids and play GAA at the weekends. I am happy for my children to play, and mix, with multiple mainly European migrants who benefit our cultural diversity and contribute positively to our society. Poor Gemma is misguided at best, and mentally ill at worst.

Compare our country to the UK, my kids can play on the green, crime is low relatively and the country has seen a transformation over the past generation from one of the poorest to one of the richest and most successful countries in the EU. What's not to like about what we have achieved and the way we have done it. Granted we learnt a harsh lesson in the recession, but we took our medicine and moved on, recovering far quicker than any of the other nations that needed bailouts, or drastic political intervention. As a nation we migrated abroad over the past centuries due to the poverty and lack of opportunity in the country, now we welcome people with similar notions from other countries, and together we all prosper. I have no issues with people migrating here and they all share the load and pay their way in the main.

Lets continue to be a tolerant nation that welcomes people and allows them to join us in our national mission of self improvement. We have no need for our own Le Pens, or Tommy Robinsons, no need for our own Farages or Trumps. Lets continue making this country a better place for anyone who wants to live here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

jackboy wrote: »
    More aggression and personal insults.

It was neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Ample evidence your ma did a piss poor job of raising you.
    Your post history and relentless bigotry is right there.
    It was neither.

You're getting lost in the weeds here mate.:confused:

'Yer Aulwan did a $hite job raising you' is an insult ffs.

Also I just looked thru his post history and there's fuk all there.
    (stopped at 50% back)

You need to redirect to the likes of the Harvey Wankstein lad.

You're getting lost in the weeds here mate.:confused:

'Yer Aulwan did a $hite job raising you' is an insult ffs.

Also I just looked thru his post history and there's fuk all there.
    (stopped at 50% back)

You need to redirect to the likes of the Harvey Wankstein lad.

Gas the way people complaining About immigrants can’t even spell or make an intelligible point.

Speak English! And all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jackboy wrote: »
    No, in a society without free speech other rights would quickly fall. It is the road to totalitarianism.

Free speech is not free if it is hate speech discriminating against others and putting their safety in danger

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

What's your definition of free speech and how is it being curtailed?

The freedom to offend.
    It is curtailed when people are told they're not allowed to offend others. Offending someone is not hateful and violent.

We all agree on already accepted curtailments of free speech in the form of:
    Obscenities
    Incitement to violence
    Causing panic in public places
    Deliberately and maliciously lying about someone

These are all subject to be penalized under the law. No-one is arguing these should be made legal.

In a place such as boards, there are extra curtailments to freedom of speech, such as 'don't be a dick' a rule you must accept before posting here.
    So even though it doesn't violate freedom of speech, it does violate the rules of boards.

What's your definition of hate speech?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: There have been no less than 4 in-thread warnings to end the low level spatting. Cards from here on in for personal digs, grammar nazi posts and general muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Kimsang wrote: »
    The freedom to offend.
    It is curtailed when people are told they're not allowed to offend others. Offending someone is not hateful and violent.

We all agree on already accepted curtailments of free speech in the form of:
    Obscenities
    Incitement to violence
    Causing panic in public places
    Deliberately and maliciously lying about someone

These are all subject to be penalized under the law. No-one is arguing these should be made legal.

In a place such as boards, there are extra curtailments to freedom of speech, such as 'don't be a dick' a rule you must accept before posting here.
    So even though it doesn't violate freedom of speech, it does violate the rules of boards.

What's your definition of hate speech?

Ycan offend someone with hate speech, calling a black peeson a N***er or a gay person a F*G is both offensive and hate speech.

What may only seem offensive to you may be hate speech to the person you are saying it to.

Don't be a dick shouldnt just be a rule on boards it should be a rule in real life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

alastair wrote: »
    12.2% (not 17%) of the population are foreign born. That includes all kids of returned Irish emigrants, NI born U.K. people, etc. We’ve a proportionally much bigger diaspora than the rest of European countries. None of the above removes from the fact that we have a growing population regardless of immigration, and that we have net Irish immigration. Which means that the ‘replacement’ trope is simply at odds with reality.

The fact of the matter is that we aren’t being ‘replaced’, we don’t have ‘open borders’, save EU freedom of movement, which is a popular and economically beneficial policy supported by the vast majority here. The ‘immigration control platform’ and ‘Irish patriot’ enthusiasts should really just come clean about their core racism, and spare the embarrassment of looking like idiots. Save us all a bunch of time.

You can engage in all the mental gymnastics and semantic bullsh1t you like.

The number of Foreign Born people in Ireland is over 17%
    The fact that tens of thousands have been granted Irish nationality is neither here nor there. They're still foreign.
    Like I said earlier. The fact that you guys lie makes you look extremely dishonest.
    Anyone with a pair of eyes can see whats happening.
    This guy calling other people liars

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The fact that tens of thousands have been granted Irish nationality is neither here nor there. They're still foreign.
    Like I said earlier. The fact that you guys lie makes you look extremely dishonest.
    Anyone with a pair of eyes can see whats happening.

Irish citizens aren’t foreign. Sorry to break it to you.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Irish citizens aren’t foreign. Sorry to break it to you.

I wonder how he would explain dual nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Billy Mays wrote: »
    This guy calling other people liars

There was a mod warning literally two posts above your telling posters to cut out the sniping. Infracted.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

But I was using free speech. Which you so ardently defend

You’re contradicting yourself now

Ermm, I think this may have been my first post here....so I'm not really defending anything

Ermm, I think this may have been my first post here....so I'm not really defending anything

Responded to you by mistake my apologies.

Ycan offend someone with hate speech, calling a black peeson a N***er or a gay person a F*G is both offensive and hate speech.
    What may only seem offensive to you may be hate speech to the person you are saying it to.

Don't be a dick shouldnt just be a rule on boards it should be a rule in real life too.

Black people call other black people "n" word all the time, is this offensive and hateful act?

It often is a rule in real life. In school, in public places, in courtrooms, etc.. not to be a dick.
    What we are talking about those is laws.

Nice dodge though, if you don't want to answer what a hate crime is, don't do it half-heartedly!

Black people call other black people "n" word all the time, is this offensive and hateful act?

It often is a rule in real life. In school, in public places, in courtrooms, etc.. not to be a dick.

Nice dodge though, if you don't want to answer what a hate crime is, don't do it half-heartedly!

A minority Taking ownership of a word used in a racist or bigoted manner like black folks and gay people have still doesn’t give you permission to use it.
    In what possible context would you wish to use such terms, knowing full well their meaning and what would be the point or the intent of you using them?

A minority Taking ownership of a word used in a racist or bigoted manner like black folks and gay people have still doesn’t give you permission to use it.
    In what possible context would you wish to use such terms, knowing full well their meaning and what would be the point or the intent of you using them?

Who decides what the context of what a person says is? Or is it just when a white person calls a black person that word?
    What is your definition of a hate crime?

Who decides what the context of what a person says is? Or is it just when a white person calls a black person that word?
    What is your definition of a hate crime?

Are you arguing for the right to be racist or bigoted?

Are you arguing for the right to be racist or bigoted?

No. I'm arguing for the right to offend. Why should offensive things be made illegal? What is your definition of a hate crime?

No. I'm arguing for the right to offend. Why should offensive things be made illegal? What is your definition of a hate crime?

You’re just looking for the right to offend?

To what end?

• Advertisement

You’re just looking for the right to offend?

To what end?
    No I already have the right to offend. You are looking to remove that right from me, why?

No I already have the right to offend. You are looking to remove that right from me, why?

Where did I look to do that?
    I asked you why you want to. Not that you couldn’t.
    Go for it. Doubt you’d have the balls in real life.
    You’d get your head kicked in if you did though.nit worth it

Its about context my dear context, if you don't understand that then there is no use attempting to explain any further.

Its about context my dear context, if you don't understand that then there is no use attempting to explain any further.

Who decides the context of the things we say? The ministry of Truth?

Who decides the context of the things we say?

Are you saying you want to be able to be racist and bigoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The courts. This may come as a surprise to you, but you're not in America and you have no Bill of Rights. Indeed, within the Irish constitution there are some limitations on your freedom of expression.

The Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989 covers this in many situations and makes it a criminal offence to publish, distribute or broadcast material that incites hatred.

‘Hatred’ is defined to mean “hatred against a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation.”

Got to love all these people arguing for their 'free speech rights' parroting arguments they see coming from alt-right American cesspits.

You'll be telling us about your right to bear arms next.

Are you saying you want to be able to be racist and bigoted?

I have already answered your underhanded insinuations about me being racist and bigoted. I'm no longer answering to you, as its clear you have no interest in discussing this topic, rather just point scoring and name calling.

Tell you what, do me a favour tomorrow and di a little experiment.

Approach 10 random black people and say "Hey Ni**er, wheres xxx street"

Then approach 10 random chinese people and say "Hey ch**k, wheres xxx street"

Then approach 10 Irish people and say "Hey Paddy, wheres xxxx street"

Come back.and let us know which group hit you the most.

Feel free to explain to them that you are only using your "right" to be offensive as they slap the shìt out of you. :rolleyes:

The Courts

So what's the problem? The courts have always decided, and as of yet, no-one in Ireland has been sentenced for being offensive. Excellent, we all agree you can be as offensive as you like in Ireland, without actually breaking one of the pre-agreed rules on freedom of speech.

Why do we need hate laws? Why does the Gardais website currently have a hate law on their website?

• Advertisement

Tell you what, do me a favour tomorrow and di a little experiment.
    Approach 10 random black people and say "Hey Ni**er, wheres xxx street"
    Then approach 10 random chinese people and say "Hey ch**k, wheres xxx street"
    Then approach 10 Irish people and say "Hey Paddy, wheres xxxx street"
    Come back.and let us know which group hit you the most.
    Feel free to explain to them that you are only using your "right" to be offensive as they slap the shìt out of you. :rolleyes:

So what you argue is , correct me if I'm wrong, the more offense you take, the more of a hate crime it is?
    How can you judge how much offense one person takes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement