Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Plugs

Options
  • 12-07-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Can smart plugs cause issue with powerline adapters? I have added a number of smartplugs and one of my powerline adapters has started playing up. Idon't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to have started right after I set them up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Power line adaptors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I haven't noticed any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

mossie wrote: »
    Can smart plugs cause issue with powerline adapters? I have added a number of smartplugs and one of my powerline adapters has started playing up. Idon't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to have started right after I set them up.

Yes, anything can cause issue with them, they are completely hit or miss. Electrical cabling is not designed nor installed to carry data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭mossie

Yes, anything can cause issue with them, they are completely hit or miss. Electrical cabling is not designed nor installed to carry data

Seems to have been a coincidence. One of the power line adapters went on the blink, resetting it seems to have solved the problem for now at least.

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Power line adaptors ?
    Power line network adapters

• Advertisement

Just to update on this. The powerline network worked OK for a while but went on the blink again this morning. I think I finally narrowed it down to an extension lead i had in the next socket, Replacing this seems to have stabilised the connection again,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A wireless mesh system or even better wireless access points on ethernet cables would most likely offer much greater stability and reliability (and probably speed too).

I've meddled with powerline in the past, I've happily dumped it now, they are lots of trouble IME.

Advertisement