Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best carvery in Waterford

• 10-07-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I love a good roast beef carvery. Who does a good one in Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I’m a fan of the Uluru or The Holy Cross..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

I havent tried too many as im only living here 2 years but i would highly recommend The Craftsman. The carvery there is top notch plus they do a dessert for 15euros special. You are never waiting long and the portions are very generous. You can get beef chicken pork lasagne.

And if you are like me you can have a few drinks afterwards in the bar and watch some sport! Im a complete stranger and the locals couldnt be nicer. Ive been there 3 times now and i really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

The Granville... Queues out the door at the weekend which speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Cove or O Donnochas in Kilmeaden are my go to spots for carvery.

Avoid Dooleys or the Holy Cross, totally over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

The granville is actually my go to . It's top notch . They give you some pile of food. The reason I asked is because they finish it quite early at 14:30 and also I'd like to try somewhere new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Granville by a mile. Go every couple of weeks. They do the carvery until 3 on sunday or possibly even 3.30

Unreal. I get the half portion and its basically a full one, they give you a mountain of food. And sooo delicious!

Uluru is very good too, as is the mansion house for a decent roast beef carvery dinner.

Only seen the above comment now that you already know the granville.

I would try the mansion house if i were you, a great carvery on a sunday, its my 2nd favourite.

Woodlands hotel also do a mean carvery!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DLS_75

Granville for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Anybody rate the Viking, Greenway Manor, Jack Meades, The Reg, The Munster or the Tower?

I used to love Fat Sams, couldn't beat a good stew for 2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Always felt the Granville to be incredibly overhyped and over priced to boot. But sure each to their own, carvery itself wouldn't exactly be my favorite type of food.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Matter of fact, I've not been in oskars in a few years. Is the carvery there still as busy on a Sunday? Place used to be mobbed a couple of years back

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Anybody rate the Viking, Greenway Manor, Jack Meades, The Reg, The Munster or the Tower?

]

The Viking isn't good in my view- for all the money they put into refurbishing the place, the food is still of only average quality. You ask for chips and you get the skinny McDonalds chips reheated- the chairs are all designed for families so very few two-seaters and there are loads of staff members floating about looking important but they neglect basic things like clearing your plate etc.

The Reg and The Munster are very good for food, but get there early enough because it gets packed an hour into the carvery. Worth it for the portion sizes and quality/range of food.

I haven't been to The Tower or Jack Meades but the Greenway Manor was awful when we went there- you are queueing for yonks, the chefs are very slow and not exactly brimming with personality either. Soup is in a tiny mug for 5 euros when some places give you a huge portion for half that. The chips were hard as a rock when I went there plus there isn't enough staff to deal with the crowds, Avoid is my advice.

Always felt the Granville to be incredibly overhyped and over priced to boot. But sure each to their own, carvery itself wouldn't exactly be my favorite type of food.

+1

The Granville seems to be this topic where people almost feverishly worshipping it like its the absolute best place in the world for food. Been there a few times for carvery and dinner and its nice yeah but ive had nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

My family have specific dietary requirements - We only eat human flesh. Any suggestions on the Dunmore Road area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Dont you mean 2s & 5d ? When were you last at Fat Sam? 1993?

My family have specific dietary requirements - We only eat human flesh. Any suggestions on the Dunmore Road area?

See the traveller thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dont you mean 2s & 5d ? When were you last at Fat Sam? 1993?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Never understand the love of Carvery. Depending on timing you can end up eating food that’s fresh or sat under a heat lamp for an hour. For the same price you could get a freshly cooked main course in loads of places. They seem a means to chuck out loads of food to as many as possible in a short space of time which is not a recipe for good food.

thomasm wrote: »
    Never understand the love of Carvery. Depending on timing you can end up eating food that’s fresh or sat under a heat lamp for an hour. For the same price you could get a freshly cooked main course in loads of places. They seem a means to chuck out loads of food to as many as possible in a short space of time which is not a recipe for good food.

Its fine for a lunch during daytime business hours. Everyone is on the clock and its almost impossible to screw up. Geoffs in the Apple market ALWAYS screws up my food. Its always either cold or late (20 min plus). The only reason I go is it suits my friend likes to meet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No, the food isnt kept under a 'lamp' its kept in hot containers that have to be at a certain temperature to comply with HACCP standards. Its not a case of just leaving it under a lamp and hoping itll stay warm.

Where do you think your freshly cooked main course comes from? The majority of dishes on a menu are all food thats reheated or blanched before hand to save time. Not many things are made on the spot, obviously as this would be extremely time consuming and leave people waiting upto an hour for dinner

Well the meat is cut fresh in front of you. I worked and trained as a chef (three of the worst years of my life, despite learning to cook). You make all your money on Sunday with feeding the masses and a smaller lunch time Monday to Friday as a public service. I would cook Sundays lunch (beef and lamb) on a Saturday evening, let it cool, slice it and plate it on trays for the steam over and reheat it Sunday morning. Breaded chicken breasts were done by deep frying in the fryer and then finish in the oven. Hygienic and safe and always won Black and White pub awards for hygiene. Gospel.

We used to have Builders with more money than sense and would easily spend 150 to 200 (drink and food) during the Celtic Tiger feeding the family. I would encourage anyone thinking of Hotel management or cheffing to learn another trade. Most of my class are all off doing ANYTHING else. (nursing,chain supply, real estate, social welfare and one died in sudden tragic circumstances).

• Advertisement

No, the food isnt kept under a 'lamp' its kept in hot containers that have to be at a certain temperature to comply with HACCP standards. Its not a case of just leaving it under a lamp and hoping itll stay warm.

Where do you think your freshly cooked main course comes from? The majority of dishes on a menu are all food thats reheated or blanched before hand to save time. Not many things are made on the spot, obviously as this would be extremely time consuming and leave people waiting upto an hour for dinner

HACCP standards are not there to enhance the taste of the food. Not poisoning you is the remit.

I’m pretty sure most places I go have freshly cooked food. I’m not sure why you think it takes an hour to cook a meal from scratch having trained in this area

HACCP standards are not there to enhance the taste of the food. Not poisoning you is the remit.

I’m pretty sure most places I go have freshly cooked food. I’m not sure why you think it takes an hour to cook a meal from scratch having trained in this area

There is a big difference between cooking a butterfly chicken breast or sirlion steak from scratch off the a la carte menu and cooking a joint of lamb or beef. Not the same thing. Not comparing like with like.

There is a big difference between cooking a butterfly chicken breast or sirlion steak from scratch off the a la carte menu and cooking a joint of lamb or beef. Not the same thing. Not comparing like with like.

Fair point. Some like carvery I guess. Waterford Golf club supposed to be popular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

how much is the granville for a plate of dinner?

And what times do they start and finish serving at

I've tried the ulru and its very good.

The craftsman was lovely too.

That place longside the peoples park although its years since i was in there was good. The 3 shippes i think.

If your a cheap bstard and not too fussy about quality or the limited menu, u could always try the wit cafeteria 6.50 for a big feed of spuds.

WIT cafeteria is ****e, luke warm spuds if you're lucky.

WIT cafeteria is ****e, luke warm spuds if you're lucky.

I t wasnt that bad when I used to nip over for my dinner. IF you want ****e college food try UCC or Carlow IT canteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Eating out is the biggest scam going.

Bigger than insurance?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Eating out is the biggest scam going.

Not really a scam when you see the rent and rates by councils. You take out finance on a building and plant and machinery. Ever see all the restaurants that go out of business? You see Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey with their restaurants, book deals and syndicated TV shows? For every one of them there are 5000 young chefs that are burnt out by the time they are 30.

Ever wonder why there are such a high turnover of restaurants? Insurance, rent rates, crappy staff, crappy wages, poor turnover, dodgy suppliers, fussy eaters. I would bury any one from Failte Ireland/Cert/current trading name telling you about the great life in hospitality.

• Advertisement

Not really a scam when you see the rent and rates by councils. You take out finance on a building and plant and machinery. Ever see all the restaurants that go out of business? You see Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey with their restaurants, book deals and syndicated TV shows? For every one of them there are 5000 young chefs that are burnt out by the time they are 30.

Ever wonder why there are such a high turnover of restaurants? Insurance, rent rates, crappy staff, crappy wages, poor turnover, dodgy suppliers, fussy eaters. I would bury any one from Failte Ireland/Cert/current trading name telling you about the great life in hospitality.

Bury them?? A bit harsh, how about just mild torture!

Advertisement