Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Vegas

• 11-07-2019 7:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend best airline to fly with to Vegas?

Thinking of flying with Virgin as have had previous good experience but someone told me Delta are now quite decent but last time i flew with them their service was atrocious.

BA is also an option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I like virgin, really part from price obviously I’d be looking at where I’m connecting, times etc. I’d rather fly to Gatwick and then to LV than connect in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Thinking of flying with Virgin as have had previous good experience but someone told me Delta are now quite decent but last time i flew with them their service was atrocious.

BA is also an option

I would prefer a short flight and a long flight so via London, SFO or LAX. Going with Delta or connecting on the east coast with EI or UA is likely to be a 7 hour and a 4 hour.it is more direct though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Someone also recommended Finnair as a cheap price option but wouldn't be too keen flying longhaul on an unknown quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BA is also an option

aer lingus to San Francisco with a connecting flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Flew with Delta, Dublin to JFK to Vegas...

Wasn't bad overall, planes were a bit dated transatlantic, but free food and drink.

JFK to Vegas and back was a bit more cramped than transatlantic (even though it was only an hour less travel time than the atlantic leg) .... no meal and charged for food and drink, was a bit annoyed on the way over as I was getting into holiday mode, but didnt care coming back.

Big plus is was doing immigration in Dublin.

• Advertisement

arccosh wrote: »
    Flew with Delta, Dublin to JFK to Vegas...

Wasn't bad overall, planes were a bit dated transatlantic, but free food and drink.

JFK to Vegas and back was a bit more cramped than transatlantic (even though it was only an hour less travel time than the atlantic leg) .... no meal and charged for food and drink, was a bit annoyed on the way over as I was getting into holiday mode, but didnt care coming back.

Big plus is was doing immigration in Dublin.

Not sure immigration in Dublin is a big factor flying to Vegas, it has relatively few international flights so is generally quite quick over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭username?!

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure immigration in Dublin is a big factor flying to Vegas, it has relatively few international flights so is generally quite quick over there.

I was about 20 minutes when coming in with Virgin Atlantic through Heathrow. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LittleMissRed

I've flown to Vegas with Virgin twice and highly recommend it. I flew Aer Lingus to Manchester and then Virgin from there.
    I've previously flown to the US with United, AA, and Aer Lingus, and none of them have a patch on Virgin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Fair point !

arccosh wrote: »
    Fair point !

Flying places like NY it’s certainly great.

• Advertisement

I have flown BA and Virgin to the Caribbean and both were pretty much as good as each other. Virgin cabin crew i found more pleasant and sprightly and more than happy to help with whatever questions/queries/requests passengers had

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I do this route once a year! My experience in April with American Airlines was hell!! An emergency declared a few minutes into one flight and a go around, for nearly an hour to burn off fuel. A nineteen hour delay on way back , then to heathrow instead of Dublin. Then the Aer Lingus plane in heathrow was hit by the luggage transfer yoke. Another hour and half on ground. ! It says operated by finnair, but it is American. The annoying thing about uk is going the other way, particularly on way back , when you’ll fly over Dublin and the flight usually gets in early eastbound and you’ll have another hour or so wasted sitting in Manchester or London.

It really depends on flight times , prices and total travel time. Both options are **** , in the absence of a direct route. So just a case of personal preference at time of booking ...

I’ve has issues with gatwick airport , when using virgin too.! It suffers the most delays in uk, or at least it did two years ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Flew Virgin a couple of years ago as well and couldn't fault them. Was on their 747 at the time and reckon it still is today until the A350s start taking over.

Route we done was Aer Lingus to Manchester and then home through Gatwick.

Actually seems the A330 is flying that route now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Have only done ba via Heathrow twice. Would recommend. Immigration cleared within 20 mins both times.

Who knows as well that maybe in time to come Aer Lingus will do direct flights, though that idea may upset a few folk on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Who knows as well that maybe in time to come Aer Lingus will do direct flights, though that idea may upset a few folk on this forum.

Only if it's EI-GEY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Someone also recommended Finnair as a cheap price option but wouldn't be too keen flying longhaul on an unknown quantity

Sweet suffering :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Finnair, the national airline of Finland?

Finnair, the airline with a bigger fleet and route network than Aer Lingus?

Finnair, member of One World?

Oh yeh but sure don't fly with that unknown quantity!!!!

The sh**e that people come out with sometimes is staggering!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Only if it's EI-GEY

Lol like what you did there ;)

As I was saying it slightly upsets people.

Sweet suffering :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Finnair, the national airline of Finland?

Finnair, the airline with a bigger fleet and route network than Aer Lingus?

Finnair, member of One World?

Oh yeh but sure don't fly with that unknown quantity!!!!

The sh**e that people come out with sometimes is staggering!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

They are an unknown quantity to me. Unfortunately everyone isn't as clever as you when it comes to Aviation.

Now run along

They are an unknown quantity to me. Unfortunately everyone isn't as clever as you when it comes to Aviation.

Now run along

Well you are here for a start which means that you must have some clue when it comes to aviation afterall this is an aviation forum.

But failing all that and perhaps your lack of knowledge of geography with the clue of the country in its title, a simple google search would have shown you exactly who Finnair is. :mad:

• Advertisement

Well you are here for a start which means that you must have some clue when it comes to aviation afterall this is an aviation forum.

But failing all that and perhaps your lack of knowledge of geography with the clue of the country in its title, a simple google search would have shown you exactly who Finnair is. :mad:

Ah FFS. Seriously..............

I'm well aware of where they originate from.

My original point was they where an unknown quantity to me, as in experience wise. You seem like the kind of youngfella (well i hope you are) that would start an argument for arguments sake

Now jog on chief

Ah FFS. Seriously..............

I'm well aware of where they originate from.

My original point was they where an unknown quantity to me, as in experience wise. You seem like the kind of youngfella (well i hope you are) that would start an argument for arguments sake

Now jog on chief

Love the passive aggresive tones there! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I love the fact that I’m getting close to closing this thread. Knock it off both of you. You are both

Finnair are a well known international carrier with a good rep.
    On the other hand some ppl may not feel comfortable booking without a recommendation from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Probably what people are seeing asAY/Finnair flights are in any event AA/BA flights which are code shared by AY as part of the transatlantic joint business arrangement which (hopefully) EI will shortly join once US DoT approval is obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've flown Finnair a number of times.

They are vastly superior to Aer Lingus in every way.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

BA is also an option

I flew from Shannon to Vegas with American Airlines recently via philadelphia. Would def prefer American to aer Lingus, who are a complete disaster for long haul. The lads sitting next to me on the philadelphia leg flew from Dublin and we’re happy out with the service. American still do free drink on long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Probably has been asked before, but how come there's nothing direct from Dublin? It seems to be such a popular destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Nermal wrote: »
    Probably has been asked before, but how come there's nothing direct from Dublin? It seems to be such a popular destination.

There are few flights from anywhere outside the us to Vegas, Some major cities, like Paris have none. Probably because it’s mainly inbound tourism only so it’s hard to sustain.

mdmix wrote: »
    There are few flights from anywhere outside the us to Vegas, Some major cities, like Paris have none. Probably because it’s mainly inbound tourism only so it’s hard to sustain.

Also difficult to crew unless it’s 4 or 5 flights a week. Inbound crews need to overnight which means if their return flight isn’t for 3 days they are effectively stuck there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Also difficult to crew unless it’s 4 or 5 flights a week. Inbound crews need to overnight which means if their return flight isn’t for 3 days they are effectively stuck there.

True but if the demand is there then airlines will do it e.g Miami.

Advertisement