Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No academy squad yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dubinusa wrote: »
    No academy squad yet!

Usually announced the last week of June, I'd be surprised if we don't see an announcement in the next week or two as preseason starts.

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

That's a worthwhile read. Very sad in parts but reflects so well on the community surrounding Leinster rugby. McQuilkin was very giving of his time and thoughts with supporters and was incredibly committed to Irish and Leinster rugby.

On a side note, hard not to admire Sexton an awful lot, very considerate person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That's a worthwhile read. Very sad in parts but reflects so well on the community surrounding Leinster rugby. McQuilkin was very giving of his time and thoughts with supporters and was incredibly committed to Irish and Leinster rugby.

On a side note, hard not to admire Sexton an awful lot, very considerate person.

There is nothing more powerful than a Jonny Sexton text message.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    There is nothing more powerful than a Jonny Sexton text message.

The people who receive them would seem to agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Leinster Rugby – Senior Contracts 2019/20:

Ciarán Frawley (14 caps)
    Hugo Keenan (5 caps)
    Rónan Kelleher (2 caps)
    Conor O’Brien (17 caps)
    Jimmy O’Brien (7 caps)
    Hugh O’Sullivan (14 caps)
    Scott Penny (6 caps)

Leinster Rugby Academy - Year Three:

Jack Aungier
    Oisín Dowling (4 caps)
    Gavin Mullin (2 caps)
    Tommy O’Brien

Leinster Rugby Academy - Year Two:

Ryan Baird (1 cap)
    Harry Byrne
    Jack Dunne (5 caps)
    David Hawkshaw
    Michael Milne
    Aaron O’Sullivan
    Patrick Patterson (3 caps)
    Dan Sheehan
    Michael Silvester

Leinster Rugby Academy - Year One:

Forwards:

Tom Clarkson
    Brian Deeny
    Martin Moloney
    Charlie Ryan

Backs:

Liam Turner

Smallest academy class in quite a while. Usually 8 spots for Year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Smallest academy class in quite a while. Usually 8 spots for Year 1.

Quite a few year 2 and similar aged lads on full deals.
    Penny on full deal
    4 year 2s same age

10 lads of 20s class of 2019 in the system

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Standard is insane. Is that 4 lads in the first year who've already played for the Irish u20s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Standard is insane. Is that 4 lads in the first year who've already played for the Irish u20s?

5 ! Maloney also played all 6N 20s but got injured before 20s RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

5 ! Maloney also played all 6N 20s but got injured before 20s RWC

Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Christ!

Don’t know what’s so surprising, generally a rule of thumb is that those who play Irish 20s are the only ones who are taken in unless exceptional talents are taken straight from school I.e Baird, penny ... or the player has missed out on 20s due to injury I.e paddy Patterson. Leinster usually turn down a few every year that have been capped at u20 level

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Christ!

Don’t know what’s so surprising, generally a rule of thumb is that those who play Irish 20s are the only ones who are taken in unless exceptional talents are taken straight from school I.e Baird, penny ... or the player has missed out on 20s due to injury I.e paddy Patterson. Leinster usually turn down a few every year that have been capped at u20 level

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thought they'd take Ronan Watters. He's had a decent stint for the U20 side and showed a combative aggression when we were on the back foot in games. He also has the skills to play across the back row so could probably develop further in one position.

Leinster now have a single back row player in their academy in Moloney which is an odd situation given the losses in that area over the past 18 months.

On the flip side, we're absurdly stacked with potential at lock in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Buer wrote: »
    Leinster now have a single back row player in their academy in Moloney which is an odd situation given the losses in that area over the past 18 months.

On the flip side, we're absurdly stacked with potential at lock in the academy.

They must think Ulster will be short of locks soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's rumours that the IRFU blocked two players who Leinster had made offers to from joining the academy.

I reckon our back row could be lacking some significant experience next season if we pick up injuries, which we have a tendency to do in the row with international games and just the position itself.

Current squad is Ruddock, VdF, Leavy, Conan, Connors, Murphy, Deegan, Doris, Penny and then Moloney who's first year academy. You could say Fardy as cover too.

Over the past two seasons we've lost Jordi, SOB, and Heaslip, which is an international quality back row in itself, with almost 470 caps between the three of them.

We'll still have a top class starting second row if all are healthy, but post RWC and towards the tail end of the season it's probably going to be a bit squeaky if we have a repeat of last season's injury list, and even the year before.

• Administrators Posts: 53,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's rumours that the IRFU blocked two players who Leinster had made offers to from joining the academy.

John McKee is one.

He is from Ulster, went to Campbell, but wanted to play hooker, but Ulster wanted to play as a prop, so he moved south and joined the Leinster sub academy.

Don't know anything about the other lad.

Cormac Foley was the other. Was a decent prospect but I suppose the reasoning is too many scrumhalves in the system already, and he played mostly at 12 in the JWC because of injury and didn't impress.

Allegedly, players had been told by Leinster coaches they were going to get academy spots, and then were blocked by the IRFU, if true that's poor.

Unless they have offers elsewhere it's a bit of a strange decision from Nucifora and co.

• Advertisement

Also no mention of Jack Kelly in any of the updates, may be going full time with the Sevens team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Deegan will be a Champions Cup level player next year (already looked it towards the end of last season).

Expect Doris and Penny to kick on with more minutes too. Our back row won't have the same pedigree, Leavy being a major loss, but I wouldn't be too worried either.

We've an awful lot of back 3 players on the books

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thought Waters would have got in. Maybe Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

AdamD wrote: »
    Deegan will be a Champions Cup level player next year (already looked it towards the end of last season).

Expect Doris and Penny to kick on with more minutes too. Our back row won't have the same pedigree, Leavy being a major loss, but I wouldn't be too worried either.

We've an awful lot of back 3 players on the books

Not to disparage a player, deegan is a good footballer with a bit of dog but I really don't think he has the power required for test level backrow unfortunately which is required to win in Europe, I have more gra for Doris's potential for that reason. Maybe next year will prove otherwise but there is no compromise for power. I don't think the depth at backrow will be at the level of the past decade for a long long time. Our options at loose and tight prop are phenomenal though. I like Clarkson a lot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Also no mention of Jack Kelly in any of the updates, may be going full time with the Sevens team.

Kelly is being retained on a temporary contract until after the world cup. I guess he has to prove it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not to disparage a player, deegan is a good footballer with a bit of dog but I really don't think he has the power required for test level backrow unfortunately which is required to win in Europe, I have more gra for Doris's potential for that reason. Maybe next year will prove otherwise but there is no compromise for power. I don't think the depth at backrow will be at the level of the past decade for a long long time. Our options at loose and tight prop are phenomenal though. I like Clarkson a lot too.

I’m not entirely sure where the power thing comes from. They are the same height and Deegan is 3kgs heavier. They have differing styles but I don’t think Deegan lacks power. I would imagine Doris running at champions cup level defenses would struggle to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I reckon our back row could be lacking some significant experience next season if we pick up injuries, which we have a tendency to do in the row with international games and just the position itself.

Current squad is Ruddock, VdF, Leavy, Conan, Connors, Murphy, Deegan, Doris, Penny and then Moloney who's first year academy. You could say Fardy as cover too.

Over the past two seasons we've lost Jordi, SOB, and Heaslip, which is an international quality back row in itself, with almost 470 caps between the three of them.

We'll still have a top class starting second row if all are healthy, but post RWC and towards the tail end of the season it's probably going to be a bit squeaky if we have a repeat of last season's injury list, and even the year before.

Not worried in the slightest about our backrow, we probably have them most depth in Eurpoe if not anywhere.

Theres very few positions any team can afford to get injuries in, but backrow is the least of our worries.....name any position where we would be ok with multiple injuries?

Wing maybe is the only one that wouldnt hurt us too badly

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Thought Waters would have got in. Maybe Russell.

Watters is a loss, i can see why he didnt get in but he really impressed me, Leinsters loss is another provinces gain

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’m not entirely sure where the power thing comes from. They are the same height and Deegan is 3kgs heavier. They have differing styles but I don’t think Deegan lacks power. I would imagine Doris running at champions cup level defenses would struggle to dominate.

These lads are still kids, they havent matured into their fully grown frames yet - to say one or the other couldnt play internationally is ridiculous and far too early to judge but everything up until this point would lean towards both being able to play at a higher standard

Conan has only started playing internationally last season and hes mid twenties,

To get into an international backrow before your 26 is very hard to do and usually takes a large injury list or a playing style that doesnt require ballcarrying like a hooper, Curry, Underhill mould of a player

Deegan and Doris are bigger framed players with different playing styles than the smaller no.7s listed above and will be looked at to ball carry when mature enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

From another forum on the two non-academy players.
    I asked around on McKee and Foley last night.

McKees issue is that he actually didn't start an AIL match for Belvo after October and was subbing the whole time and they want more game time in him. Ed Rossiter starting ahead of him.

Ditto on Foley, needs more time on 9 skills.
    I am not sure they were blocked - more not offered in the first place with a more of a we will suss it out a little bit first.

Foley - not seen to good enough at the moment at 9 or 12 - little bit of jack of all trades and want to see more at 9. Also seems to some decent options in the class coming through next season.

McKee - something similar. Will be invited to full pre season and just needs more game time and review in a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement