Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Accident vs By Accident

Options
  • 09-07-2019 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed a recent and increasing pattern of people saying "On Accident" instead of "By Accident". Why is this happening?

I knocked over the coffee on accident.

I knocked over the coffee by accident.

On accident vs By accident 187 votes

On Accident
    98% 185 votes
    By Accident
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I have yet to hear anyone say 'on accident', fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ive noticed a recent and increasing pattern of people saying "On Accident" instead of "By Accident". Why is this happening?

I knocked over the coffee on accident.

I knocked over the coffee by accident.

First abomination comes from American English usage, like on the weekend and thankfully not frequent. The 2nd one would be accepted as being most correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It's 'by'. Just another example of how language changes or takes on new meanings, 'reach out' and 'absolutely' being obvious examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

It's an American thing. "I didn't do it on purpose, I did it on accident".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Autecher wrote: »
    It's an American thing. "I didn't do it on purpose, I did it on accident".

Just shows how language often isn't logical. There's no reason why "on purpose" should be ok while "on accident" isn't, other than everyone's got used to the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

On purpose

By accident

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's 'by'. Just another example of how language changes or takes on new meanings, 'reach out' and 'absolutely' being obvious examples.
    It's also how not teaching grammar allows bad grammar take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's a reasonable explanation here. You can talk about evolution of language or the Americanisation of the world. The actual reason, however, is because they are absolute f*cking idiots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They also "lay down" or do a lot of things "purposefully" - which is a word, but not the way it gets used

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bluewolf wrote: »
    They also "lay down" or do a lot of things "purposefully" - which is a word, but not the way it gets used

Don't forget that they play with "Legos" instead of Lego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

These threads are becoming unpossible.

Addicting is one that pisses me off no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dito

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's been a slippery slope since stupid people started using been when they should be using being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

should of would of could of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Addicting is one that pisses me off no end.

Instead of addictive?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fieldofsheep

My own pet hate - when people say they'll 'revert' to you instead of saying they'll get back to you.  Double points if they say they'll 'revert back' to you.  :angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Penfailed

bluewolf wrote: »

That's creeping in over here. So is, "I was sat..." instead of, "I was sitting..."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's creeping in over here. So is, "I was sat..." instead of, "I was sitting..."
    It's always existed. It's just non-standard grammar in the northern part of England. I always feel a need to correct that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

By accident or accidentally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Penfailed

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's always existed. It's just non-standard grammar in the northern part of England. I always feel a need to correct that!

My point was that it's creeping in over here too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I agree its annoying too, but we use plenty of non standard grammar here too due to the influence from Irish.. we also use some no longer accepted grammar from English, such as ye. Of course some folk will will tell you it's wrong.. but wrong according to whom? English has no regulated control body afaik. Why is ye no longer acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

amcalester wrote: »
    should of would of could of

I would of said that too, but you got their before me. Definately.

I need a shower.

As you know, my master's work was the very epitome of accurate and beautifully crafted writing. (although sometimes a sentence can read like a mathematical formula, but he's still my hero.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

By accident is the correct term

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think it's a yank thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Who's the wanker that voted "On accident"? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Who's the wanker that voted "On accident"? :P

Maybe he or she did it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,174 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the olden days, when people communicated by letter, their lack of grammar and spelling abilities would be shown up only to the recipient. Now everyone's creative approach to English is communicated to the world online, to the extent that 'correct' grammar and spelling is becoming extremely hazy and people are picking up bad habits.

It is considered bad manners on-line to correct someone else's English, and oddly (not really) this one aspect of manners and courtesy is respected where otherwise anarchy reigns. Language changes and evolves, fair enough. However, the errors seep into formal writing, news reports, and ultimately legal documents. Many of the common errors, for example, confuse words that mean the opposite to each other. Either accept or except can be correctly used in a sentence, but one will mean exactly the opposite to the other, and could have catastrophic results. Look how much of an issue a single comma has caused in the American constitution.

Rain, reign, rein are all different words. One of them is used incorrectly in Boards' rules and regulations - we keep telling them but it hasn't been changed. If they can be used interchangeably why not spell it rane and save ourselves a lot of bother?

The only consolation is that when the current aging crop of people who were actually taught English grammar finally dies out, someone will have invented a computer program that can construct non-ambiguous sentences. Won't that be fun? Who needs literature and poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

'On accident'...whoops!, I meant 'by accident!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

looksee wrote: »

It is considered bad manners on-line to correct someone else's English,

Only by people who dont want to see their poor grammar highlighted. :)

Advertisement