Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Marathon Training?

• 04-07-2019 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi thinking of doing one in April, training would obviously be during the worst time of the year weatherwise. Can anyone recommend a waterproof coat if was out in a storm or very heavy, cold rain etc?. Also are epiptilators (think that's what they're called) in the gym any use for distance training. I've long running IT Band problems so could do with reducing impact, sometimes anyway. I'll see in December if I'm in a good place to take it on, but I very much want to.

Had to drop out at 20.5 miles a few years with an injury (had previously finished 2),so want to do one more at least, just to prove to myself and to one or two others that I still can🙂.

Any other advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    S🙂

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've done 4 of my 6 in the spring (March/April - Barcelona, Manchester, London x2). I actually haven't found a massive need for hardcore waterproofs - I've generally just worn a bog standard running jacket when my long run is in the rain. Decent gloves and hat as well, and warm leggings.

I would look at adding plenty of strength and conditioning work for the posterior chain between now and the start of training as well, ITBS is an absolute bear when it wants to be.

The elliptical trainer isn't great for distance training - it's mind-numbingly boring and I find they make my knees feel really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Long sleeves, hat, gloves would be the height of it for me. Our winters are very mild, and getting milder. Have a few rain jackets but never wear anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks Rainbow Kirby. Would your leggings be waterproof? Do ordinary ones hold the rain? I usually avoid them for fear of that happening. Also would your running jacket be water repellant or resistant etc? Any brand or website that you could recommend?. Having an mri in 2 weeks time, that after extensive physio for my IT Band. I can run, I'm doing the Irish Runner 10 mile in little over a week. But the feeling of strain never disappears completely and over longer distances it's more likely to become 'severe'. For this reason I'd honestly say I am probably not suited to marathons. But I want just to do one more,for myself and to prove doubters wrong🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Shorts and a tshirt\long sleeve top did me fine all last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I have a jacket from inov that I've got a lot of wear out of - it's very light, rolls up to a tiny fluff of nothing, but is great in wind and rain.

There are various options for inov jackets, I think mine is probably the "windshell" - the brand is expensive, but they have a discount for previous season colours on SportsShoes.

In the past I used a big old GAA waterproof I got my brother and managed ok with that. Some of the appeal with the inov one is fashion.

If you have routes suitable for darkness then I think winter marathon training is no problem. It's a good motivator to get off the sofa and you don't have to deal with the heat.

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Thanks Rainbow Kirby. Would your leggings be waterproof? Do ordinary ones hold the rain? ‚

I don't find that they do - that's with my Tikiboo, Sturdy By Design and Decathlon ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Forget water proof. It goes both ways. Sweat is trapped. Just get a warm enough wind proof jacket. If you get wet it doesn't matter.

Somwething like:
    https://www.ronhill.com/blog/brighten-up-your-winter-running-new-windlite-jacket/

Then layer up with long sleeve training tops. Thick running hat and thinck gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Ive found good gloves are the most important thing for winter running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The hardest part of winter marathon training is not the weather - its the running in the dark in my opinion.

When your alarm goes off at 6 am to get up and have brekkie before your long run and it's pitch dark and the rain is hopping off the window...

The hardest part of winter marathon training is not the weather - its the running in the dark in my opinion.

When your alarm goes off at 6 am to get up and have brekkie before your long run and it's pitch dark and the rain is hopping off the window...
    Yes I get that, darkness is mentally hard at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

So true.

Or when your alarm goes off at 0430....and your husband says "baby you're crazy" as he goes back asleep...

It's dark and most likely raining. The streets are empty. Theres the odd car passing. You have to stick to looping housing estates cos parks are out of bounds at that hour.

The best part was always passing another runner out at that hour. You'd give each other "the nod" and maybe a smile. You'd wonder if they were training for the same marathon as you.

Threadmills or elliptical machines are not great?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Threadmills or elliptical machines are not great?.

Found treadmills to be great during winter. I did a fair amount of intervals/speedwork on them. 40 mins max as anything longer was torture.

Everything else outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Gloves, hat, long sleeve top and t-shirt should be enough. After 20-30 minutes you should be warmed up and be looking to dump the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can never understand people out running wearing leggings. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zebra3 wrote:
    Can never understand people out running wearing leggings.

Can never understand people out freezing their balls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How are you wearing your leggings??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not sure how that can happen when you’re jogging/running.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Not sure how that can happen when you’re jogging/running.

It certainly can. Some people, like myself, are obviously soft. There were times last year out in the freezing cold at 6am where they were a godsend.

I wear leggings or capris for a lot of the year, they're incredibly comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It certainly can. Some people, like myself, are obviously soft. There were times last year out in the freezing cold at 6am where they were a godsend.

Na your just kinky......

Reason I don’t like leggings is I feel my legs are constricted wearing them, I warm up pretty quickly also so no need to wear them.

OOnegative wrote:
    Na your just kinky......

An added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    I warm up pretty quickly also so no need to wear them.

How long does it take you to go from freezing to warmed up and then to begin frothing? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    How long does it take you to go from freezing to warmed up and then to begin frothing? :pac:

About 5 mins...... should have seen the state of me yesterday after the Tempo run, mess!!!

Advertisement