Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry cycle 2019

• 16-09-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of doing this event next year. I checked out their website but there are no details on the two questions I have so Im hoping somebody on this forum can help?

1/I understand each person entering the event needs to raise funds for a chosen charity. What is the amount of funds you need to raise per person?
    2/I would be hoping to do this with my son, who will be 16 yrs old, is there a minimum age you need to be?

On a different note, I have type 1 diabetes, has anybody else done this event with type 1 diabetes?

(Some background info on myself = mid 50s, pretty fit, exercise every day, between gym and swimming and usually do around 1 cycle per week all year around usually 20 - 30K but regularly do 50 - 60K and I have often done a few 80 - 100K cycles before....)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

You can raise money for a charity if you wish, but you can just sign up for the cycle for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It is a joke. You will both fly it. It is a pretty easy cycle full of people not prepared. You will spend the day overtaking people

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

Remember when this was the most popular and prestigious cycling event in the country by far
    Then the cute kerry hoores got greedy. Very greedy.

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle statement in full
    We at the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle would like to address some of the feedback that we have received in relation to the registration process for this year’s cycle.

To address your feedback:

Lottery System:
    Many of the first people who tried to register for 2015’s cycle were unable to get a place. This was due to unprecedented demand for places – over 9,000 people applied for 5,000 places on the morning that registration opened which caused the registration system to crash.

To avoid this issue happening again and to ensure the fairest system possible for registration, we decided upon a lottery that would be run over 6 weeks, giving people ample time to register.

Registration for the lottery is still open (by following this link) and will remain so until open until 23.00 on Sunday, January 31st, 2016.

‘Price’; ‘Cost’; ‘Admission Charge’; ‘Fee’:

We have received a lot of feedback regarding the ‘price’, or ‘cost’, ‘admission charge’ or ‘fee’ for our charity event.

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle imposes none of these

Like any charity event, there are running costs

These include insurance, medical expenses, water, health and safety equipment and more.

€10 Non-Refundable Minimum Donation:
    This non-refundable donation was put in place to prevent people trying to gain unfair advantage by entering the lottery multiple times. Anyone who secures a place on the Cycle will have this €10 minimum donation taken off their registration fee. The €10 of those who are unsuccessful will be donated to the charities.

Questions on the lottery registration process in relation to the number of previous Ring of Kerry Charity Cycles taken part in and how much money you plan to raise:

These questions are purely for research purposes. Our aim is to collect as much data as possible about the cyclists who take part in the event to help us improve our fundraising efforts and ensure the future of this charity event.

€170 minimum commitment to sign up with a charity:
    At time of writing, more than 10% of all people who registered to cycle with a charity in last year’s cycle haven’t returned their agreed sponsorship.

To ensure this doesn’t happen again and to protect the charities, those cycling with a charity are asked to fundraise a minimum of €170.

The reason for this figure is that this was the average amount raised by fundraisers who cycled with a charity in 2015’s event.

‘The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle has become a small business’:
    The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is run by a group of people who are passionate about the event and who share the one collective goal – to raise as much money as possible for the people of Kerry.

All are volunteers and all give up endless hours for over 6 months of the year to ensure our fundraising event is as beneficial as it can be for both the fundraisers and the charities.

The ROK Charity Cycle is often compared to other sportives but we are exclusively a fundraising cycle and not a sportive.

We would like to re-iterate that all decisions made by the committee are made with the intention of maximising the funds that are raised to support local charities in Kerry. These funds are vital to the work these charities carry out and without your support, many of the charities that the cycle supports would no longer be in operation. All decisions made are compliant with the charity regulator.

The charity places are also filling up fast. Anyone who wishes to go this route and make the extra commitment to raise upwards of €170 can find the list of charity contact on RingOfKerryCycle.ie.

Finally we would like to remind people that Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is volunteer run event that allows fundraisers to raise money for worthwhile charities, they just happen to do it while cycling one of the greatest cycling routes in the world!

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

It is the easiest 170km I have ever done, not much climbing and lovely smooth roads.

There are loads of stop points and shops etc so you will be well able to keep well stocked to ensure you don't go hypo.

Enjoy it, some ace views, a great descent on a closed road and loads of chat. At 16 I would have been able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mor1987

Hi,

A friend and I signed up to complete The Ring of Kerry 2019 Charity cycle but unfortunately we are unable to attend due to personal reasons. We are looking to off load our tickets for face value. If you are interested please leave a comment and I will contact you.

Thanks
    Mor1987

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Mor1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

A friend and I signed up to complete The Ring of Kerry 2019 Charity cycle but unfortunately we are unable to attend due to personal reasons. We are looking to off load our tickets for face value. If you are interested please leave a comment and I will contact you.

Thanks
    Mor1987

Just an FYI - Its not a sold out event and will most likely not be. You will probably have more luck trying to offload the tickets at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

banjobongo wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing this event next year. I checked out their website but there are no details on the two questions I have so Im hoping somebody on this forum can help?

1/I understand each person entering the event needs to raise funds for a chosen charity. What is the amount of funds you need to raise per person?
    2/I would be hoping to do this with my son, who will be 16 yrs old, is there a minimum age you need to be?

On a different note, I have type 1 diabetes, has anybody else done this event with type 1 diabetes?

(Some background info on myself = mid 50s, pretty fit, exercise every day, between gym and swimming and usually do around 1 cycle per week all year around usually 20 - 30K but regularly do 50 - 60K and I have often done a few 80 - 100K cycles before....)

I have type 1 diabetes and have done this, as well as longer cycles. Obviously I can't give any medical advice and as I'm sure you're seeing, there's no 'one size fits all' approach, but taking in around 30-60 grams of carbs per hour usually keeps me within range. Something like Lucozade sport in your bottle helps with this too.
    Funnily, it's the only time I've ever had to do this, but at one of the food stops there was a medical area and they had a glucose testing machine there and offered to check my bloods there. These days with CGM's it's not such an issue.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info or advise though, I'm more than happy to chat through with you my experience's of managing my diabetes with cycling, and I have a fair bit at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Mor1987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks
    Mor1987

I'm interested in your ROK entries if you want to drop me a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Anyone have a spare entry they're not using for this? I know two lads who don't have an entry but would like to do it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Entries still open till midnight tonight. Check the FB page

If you're still interested in taking part in the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle next Saturday July 6th, register your interest on the link below before Midnight on MONDAY 1st July, as this will be your final opportunity to take part before the main event��*♂️��*♂️ #ROKCC

https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/62831153/forms?_p=6753814882645335

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

TigerTim wrote: »
    Entries still open till midnight tonight. Check the FB page

If you're still interested in taking part in the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle next Saturday July 6th, register your interest on the link below before Midnight on MONDAY 1st July, as this will be your final opportunity to take part before the main event��*♂️��*♂️ #ROKCC

https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/62831153/forms?_p=6753814882645335

T.

I tried to enter, but the site just puts me on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Did this three years in a row but just cant justify the €100 this year. I know two lads in my office thinking the same and bumped into another lad in work today who said the same thing.

Number were way down last year, under 7,000 I suspect, possibly even lower. Girls at desk were too embarrassed to tell me numbers. I booked one week before last year and my number was in the 7,000's but I saw a list that had big gaps in the numbers.

Heard it was booked out this year, so added my name onto the waiting list - pretty quickly got an email that i got a place. Have had further emails offers to sign up including a VIP offer???

On a once off basis it is maybe worth €100 but on a repeat basis its an expensive day out. Good buzz at the finish and great feeling of accomplishment.

I think it is now priced itself out of the market for many, compared to other sportives - and I know all the arguments about it being a fundraiser. I think i it was €50/60 myself and the three other lads in work would have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

This event is now dying and they only have themselves to blame. Total disrespect for cyclists with the constant refrain that it is all about squeezing as much as possible out of them for the people of Kerry. Lotteries with non refundable entry fees, €170 min "charity" fee when the event was popular
    This year closing date for entries was 10thJune yet numbers are so low they are still trying to find more entants. And lying again. A constant habit of the committee. Saying it is sold out at the same time they are desperately trying to get more people to sign up. Low numbers now and bad feeling from scams of previous years means the buzz is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mpg67

Has anyone a spare entry for the ROK? i know its last minute but worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

mpg67 wrote: »
    There's a couple up on donedeal for €80 - https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=Ring%20of%20kerry&campaign=14.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Has anybody seen where/if they have posted info about parking arrangements for this year?

Or even anyone tell me where the car parks were the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭TigerTim

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    This event is now dying and they only have themselves to blame. Total disrespect for cyclists with the constant refrain that it is all about squeezing as much as possible out of them for the people of Kerry. Lotteries with non refundable entry fees, €170 min "charity" fee when the event was popular
    This year closing date for entries was 10thJune yet numbers are so low they are still trying to find more entants. And lying again. A constant habit of the committee. Saying it is sold out at the same time they are desperately trying to get more people to sign up. Low numbers now and bad feeling from scams of previous years means the buzz is gone.

Where did the organizers say that it was sold out? It's a serious think to call volunteers like this habitual liars, so I hope you can back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 binnox

mpg67 wrote: »

1 ticket available. Will take 75.

Thanks
    Binnox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

TGD wrote: »
    Where did the organizers say that it was sold out? It's a serious think to call volunteers like this habitual liars, so I hope you can back this up.

Where did I say that the organizers said it was sold out? I didn't.
    Up till 10th June they were saying that registration would close at 8pm on June 10th.
    However since then they have been heavily pushing people to "express an interest" and "join the waitlist"
    So there repeated statements that registrations would only be accepted up till 10thJune were a blatent lie. Pure and simple.
    I only used it as an example of the way the committee has operated for many years. Wouldn't believe a thing they say.
    P.s. in previous years they charged people €10 to enter a lottery. Then told them all the places were gone and their lottery fee would not be refunded.
    Then began trying to persuade the lottery losers to buy €170 premium places that were not available to those entering the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Heading down to Killarney tomorrow....weather forecast looks good! Should be a good weekend. Hope everyone who's doing the ROK enjoys the day and the beers after!

Where did I say that the organizers said it was sold out? I didn't....

"Saying it is sold out at the same time they are desperately trying to get more people to sign up.."

Ok. Apologies. Shouldn't have said that

Ok. Apologies. Shouldn't have said that

Fair play.
    Meanwhile, as I write this, there’s a bunch of volunteers and local chefs at Killarney racecourse making 20,000 sandwiches. That’s just part of the army of volunteers and the community effort that try to give the participants the very best experience and the least they deserve is not to be unjustly maligned.

Fair play.
    Meanwhile, as I write this, there’s a bunch of volunteers and local chefs at Killarney racecourse making 20,000 sandwiches. That’s just part of the army of volunteers and the community effort that try to give the participants the very best experience and the least they deserve is not to be unjustly maligned.

To be clear my issue is only with the antics of the committee over the years and their "it's all about the money_ ethos.
    I have total appreciation for the commendable work done by the volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Perfect day for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Seadin

It's alot quieter today than any other years i did it. You would know the numbers were down. Probably safer though in the long run. It went out of control with numbers few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

First time doing the it yesterday.

Really enjoyable day on closed roads.

Very comfortable on the roads besides one or two lunatics thinking they were on the TDF.

The feed stations were exceptional in Cahersiveen and Kenmare - so much effort put in to set this up.

Great day out and I hope the charitys made plenty.

Well done all.

Advertisement