Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tours of Ardnacrusha hydro station -1 July 19 - 13 Sept 19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Truly one of Ireland's greatest achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Thanks for posting. Booked for next week.

Visited there this morning. Saw the station inside and outside, including the amazing original control room. Fascinating display of posters and artefacts. Guides excellent. Well worth the effort to get there and highly recommended for all ages. Five Stars, no question.

Some photos. Size/Resolution reduced to meet posting restrictions.

This is the 1929 control room. No longer in day to day use, but kept "live" as a backup.

The turbine hall and the penstocks.The 1929 control room is directly under the glass pyramid on the right.

• Advertisement

The penstocks. 90 year old German steel.

The start of the distribution network

The turbine hall, showing the 20th century control room tagged on to the side of the building. The top of the salmon "elevator" is in the foreground.

Standing at the edge of the upper lock (70ft lift) and looking down into the lower lock.

The turbine hall, showing three of the four turbines (the fourth is hidden). The 20th century control room is at the far end.

• Advertisement

Some of the posters and cigarette cards from the exhibition

A couple of the many photos on display

A couple of "artefacts" which some of the older boards members mat recall seeing in action

One of the paintings (copy) by Sean Keating who was artist in residence during construction. The exhibition consists of 8-10 of his Ardnacrusha works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭gipi

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Have booked a tour for September, looking forward to the visit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd love to spend the day looking around, but I'm pretty sure my kids would love to kill me if I tried to drag them there...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Did the tour on Friday. It's pretty good and would recommend it. One thing that surprised me though was that the original very distinctly German roof of the building was recently renovated (at some cost) by replacing the original tiles with Welsh slate, which changes the character of it quite significantly imo. A bit disappointing considering it's a protected structure (though I'm not suggesting the work they did wasn't approved, I'm sure it was).

Advertisement