Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAR - What do you think it will bring ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Colking wrote: »
    I have seen a number of posts where people are assuming that VAR will result in a huge increase in penalties and that we should all be looking at penalty takers.

I noticed a good point that Shedite27 made in another thread and thought I'd open up the floor to a discussion.

It will be interesting to look back on it at the end of the season and see if we were correct or not in our thoughts.

The research from other leagues who were early adapters of VAR seems to show that VAR hasn't significantly increased the number of penalties. It has remained about the same.

If anything we might see more divers punished.

Should we be looking at how many more yellow cards notorious divers will get as opposed to how many more penalties are going to be awarded ?

Shedites argument is pretty lame to be fair, he ignores the penos city and Liverpool would have been given with VAR.

Guessing be the name he's a Chelsea rent boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

That's the thing though, for every genuine penalty that was missed there's circa an equal number of penalties that shouldn't have been given.

Net effect = They cancel each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Plus players know everything they do is up for review so maybe commit less small fouls or pulling in the box - maybe this will benefit Salah type players or maybe more headers will be scored from corners. Overall say effect on fpl will be negligible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Shedites argument is pretty lame to be fair, he ignores the penos city and Liverpool would have been given with VAR.

MOD: No personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

VARrrrdy... my only concern really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Plus players know everything they do is up for review so maybe commit less small fouls or pulling in the box - maybe this will benefit Salah type players or maybe more headers will be scored from corners. Overall say effect on fpl will be negligible.

I would say look at the World Cup - players knew it was there etc - but there was still a record number of penalties. 29 in 2018, that more than double the 2014 world cup.

Do you honestly think players won't be dragging out of others at corners - someone who has been doing it for the last 5/6 years is suddenly not going to do it?

Also does anyone know if the VAR team is in centralised location for the games, or different people at each stadium for each game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I would say look at the World Cup - players knew it was there etc - but there was still a record number of penalties. 29 in 2018, that more than double the 2014 world cup.

Now that players know exactly what's involved, situations like that will be reduced.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think players won't be dragging out of others at corners - someone who has been doing it for the last 5/6 years is suddenly not going to do it?

There will be dragging, free out when attackers commit, penalties when defenders commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think slightly more penalties, but not the explosion we saw in the World Cup.

Simply because players will be more aware of it - there were no guidelines given before the WC and players weren't told that ball-to-hand incidents were now suddenly going to be interpreted as penalties.

Absolutely everyone is going to be aware of it now, especially after the CL final. If a manager isn't talking to his team about the implications of VAR and the reinterpretation of what constitutes a handball offence in the box he's not doing his job.

That said, there are certain incidents which are pretty unavoidable for the defender that will still be given as a penalty, so I would expect a small increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm assuming VAR + new handball rules = more penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

DO we need a poll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

DO we need a poll?

I've added a Poll to the thread. 3 Options, Yes, No, The Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Early stages.... lots and lots of penalties. Loading up on Pen takers and a Keeper with a good pen save record!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Early stages.... lots and lots of penalties. Loading up on Pen takers and a Keeper with a good pen save record!

This will absolutely happen
    First 2/3 weeks
    Then it will taper off
    Like every new rule

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hoboo wrote: »

First 8 game weeks last season - 26 penalties
    First 8 game weeks this season - 19 penalties

:cool:

Shedite27 wrote: »
    First 8 game weeks last season - 26 penalties
    First 8 game weeks this season - 19 penalties

:cool:

VAR has been pretty ****e so far.

The parameters they set on overturning decisions were poor.

I think they don’t want to change it mid season but I expect to see a very very different VAR next season.

They’ve got a whole season now to work it out.

Advertisement