Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognised teaching council post primary

Options
  • 02-07-2019 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a question for a friend under serious stress due to dealing with the teaching council and getting registered correctly.

1. She qualified in 2002 with a degree in psychology and business

2. Was teaching in a secondary school for a few years and went back and did a masters in career guidance

3. Has a letter from 2006 saying saying she was registered in the teaching council as a teacher - did not specify what sector as I believe this was only decided in the 2010 act

4. Did a masters on further ed in 2010 and was working in that sector up till 3 years ago

5. Took a job as career guidance and business and was offered a permanent contract in 2018 but the teaching council has her down as further ed only and said she would have to the pme

They were accessing her against the latest act but the argument she is making is that she was registered and teaching in sec ed from 2002 for years and should be accessed against the requirements at that time ?

Any advice would be great as the teaching council are a nightmare to deal with. They want her to go back to college again in her mid 40s to receive a permanent contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Hi,

Have a question for a friend under serious stress due to dealing with the teaching council and getting registered correctly.

2. Was teaching in a secondary school for a few years and went back and did a masters in career guidance

3. Has a letter from 2006 saying saying she was registered in the teaching council as a teacher - did not specify what sector as I believe this was only decided in the 2010 act

4. Did a masters on further ed in 2010 and was working in that sector up till 3 years ago

5. Took a job as career guidance and business and was offered a permanent contract in 2018 but the teaching council has her down as further ed only and said she would have to the pme

They were accessing her against the latest act but the argument she is making is that she was registered and teaching in sec ed from 2002 for years and should be accessed against the requirements at that time ?

Any advice would be great as the teaching council are a nightmare to deal with. They want her to go back to college again in her mid 40s to receive a permanent contract.

Sounds like she needs to contact her union. Does she have the H. Dip Ed. As it was back then - or any teaching qualification?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi,

Unless she has a teaching qualification, she can't register with the teaching council.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AFAIK, The amnesty was for teachers who were employed at time of enactment. Sounds like your friend wasn't employed in a school at the time the TC enacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Once you let your registration lapse you are subject to the new requirements regarding requirement to have a recognised teaching qualification and the new subject requirements that came in in 2017. That's just how it works. Lots of people have been caught by the subject changes. I know an Irish teacher of 20+ years who had to go to the Gaeltacht, a Maths teacher of 10+ years (added Maths as an additional subject) who is now required to o a pedagogy module, and two Science teachers no longer registered for JC Science. All had let registration lapse while abroad. You will not get around them on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Once you let your registration lapse you are subject to the new requirements regarding requirement to have a recognised teaching qualification and the new subject requirements that came in in 2017. That's just how it works. Lots of people have been caught by the subject changes. I know an Irish teacher of 20+ years who had to go to the Gaeltacht, a Maths teacher of 10+ years (added Maths as an additional subject) who is now required to o a pedagogy module, and two Science teachers no longer registered for JC Science. All had let registration lapse while abroad. You will not get around them on this.

So true I let mine lapse as I wasn’t teaching such a dose to get registered again, a heap of paperwork. Advice to any Irish teacher, no matter what part of the world you are in do not let your teaching council registration lapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

As far as I know, teacher's at the time who didnt have a recognized teaching qualification were given a set number of years to complete one if they wanted to remain registered - im open to correction on this, any new teachers registering had to have obtained their qualification before registering. The same thing is supposedly being brought in in the further ed sector although it doesnt seem to have been implemented by ETB's, saw a post today on an ETB job search looking for tutors with a train the trainer level 6 :rolleyes:
    If she's registered under further ed already she will still be able to sub in second level but thats up to the individual school, she will also be paid the unqualified rate despite being a qualified teacher.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Unless she has a teaching qualification, she can't register with the teaching council.

She can register under further ed, its basically a free for all and anyone can register even if they dont have a degree.
    She has a masters in further ed which is a recognised teaching qualification so is fully in her right to register under this sector, she wont be able to register under post primary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

As far as I know, teacher's at the time who didnt have a recognized teaching qualification were given a set number of years to complete one if they wanted to remain registered - im open to correction on this, any new teachers registering had to have obtained their qualification before registering

No, anyone already employed as a teacher on establishment day was given unconditional full registration regardless of qualifications. Then up to 2013 those with an approved degree could register in a special VEC Only category without a teaching qualification. These people can all continue to teach as they are once they keep up their registration. But if they let registration lapse then they must fulfil the proper requirements to register again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

She can register under further ed, its basically a free for all and anyone can register even if they dont have a degree.
    She has a masters in further ed which is a recognised teaching qualification so is fully in her right to register under this sector, she wont be able to register under post primary.
    She would need to check it's eligibility on this list: https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Teacher-Education/Initial-Teacher-Education/Review-and-Professional-Accreditation-of-Existing-Programmes-of-ITE/Completed-Reviews/Completed-Reviews.html#Further%20Education

The FE registration requirements changed on 1st Jan 2019 to crack down on people using FE as a workaround to get paid by an ETB.

She would need to check it's eligibility on this list: https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Teacher-Education/Initial-Teacher-Education/Review-and-Professional-Accreditation-of-Existing-Programmes-of-ITE/Completed-Reviews/Completed-Reviews.html#Further%20Education

The FE registration requirements changed on 1st Jan 2019 to crack down on people using FE as a workaround to get paid by an ETB.

They said this in 2013 but they still haven't implemented it

• Advertisement

They said this in 2013 but they still haven't implemented it
    Well it has been implemented now. I know of people who have been refused registration under FE route since the start of the year.

Well it has been implemented now. I know of people who have been refused registration under FE route since the start of the year.

Thats good to hear.
    I have a recognized postgrad dip in further ed, had an interview with an ETB a couple of months ago for an FE position, I had to explain to the panel what my qualification was as they hadnt a clue.
    Good to hear that things are changing, finally.

Advertisement