Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace, get well soon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

If you ever want three minutes of good clean musical comedy then his parody of the Wolfe Tones is excellent ...

Hope he makes some kind of recovery ....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Hoboo wrote: »
    He's about as funny as his diagnosis.

ah jesus, no need for that, where's the mods now?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. No need to act the díck with your edgelord comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He recorded a lot of stuff that made me cry laughing as a child and young boy so just want to record my best wishes to him in his hour of need in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

That's what got Roy Castle.

Although I have since learned that he also smoked heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Last time I looked the man was still with us.

It is sounding like an obituary now. Feck that, would anyone like that!

Was never a fan, but wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Last time I looked the man was still with us.

It is sounding like an obituary now. Feck that, would anyone like that!

Was never a fan, but wish him well.

Nice if the subject of the thread gets to read about people wishing him well though. I am sure his own mortality is front and centre atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Nice if the subject of the thread gets to read about people wishing him well though. I am sure his own mortality is front and centre atm.

Yes. A cancer diagnosis like this is very serious. Well wishers often say, ah sure you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. But with this sort of diagnosis, it is like the bus is hurtling towards you and you are trapped, unable to move, in concrete boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As it is for all of us. Get your will made, and your joint account, and your power of attorney. We never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Many a Christmas eve I came in from the pub half cut and watched some Brenda Grace special from the early 90s on TG4 and laughed me arse off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

A talented man, hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was never a huge fan of Brendan's stuff but it was of its time and he brought a lot of people a lot of laughs. Given the choice I'd watch him over Mrs Brown any day. I always liked his singing voice.

I think i told this story on a LLS thread before.

In the early 80s I worked in a late night chip shop in Tipperary. We often had bands calling in on their way back to Dublin from Kerry, Limerick, Clare etc. Brendan and his crew were regulars. One night as he was waiting for his order two lads with a few pints down were trying to scrape together the price of a bit of grub to share. When Brendan had paid me he put a tenner on the counter and said, "Give the lads two breast of chicken and chips and two cans of coke and keep the change.".

Hope all goes well for him.

Rhubarb tart!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

always loved him.
    hes imo the best comedian ireland ever produced.
    the rest of them arent fit to wipe his shoes. imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Rhubarb tart!

Ham sandwich

branie2 wrote: »
    Ham sandwich

Rhubarb tart, rhubarb tart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

There’s no f in duck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I remember how funny I thought he was as a kid in the 80s.
    Who wants to get the Fr Ted quotes out of the way? If he doesn't get better I'll put your head through a wall etc? I'm a moaning Michael.

I've been waiting all day for just one other person to make a sh!tty comment so I could say

Bye Girls! Pair o'****

But even though its still only the one, I'll quote it anyway

Sorry to hear this news, from everything I've heard he is a lovely man, and despite not being everyone's cup of tea, a very successful comedian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A good decent man by all accounts

He's worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Not a big fan of his comedy but when I was doing some fundraising for an operation for a kid he helped out. He donated some of the door from a gig in our area and allowed us to sell raffle tickets.

We met him before and he was lovely.

Get well soon Brendan.

Went to college with a niece of his who was a bullying see you next Tuesday who always bragged about him. Hope life is treating her how she deserves to be treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Awful news, I wish him well. My Dad is a huge fan.

I remember bumping into him when I was a kid, in Cork before a gig at The Opera House, he was looking for a car parking space and we were leaving so my Dad told him to take ours, my Dad introduced me to him and my reply was "the fella that own's the Chipper?" (there's a fast food place called John Grace's in Cork City Center. They both got a good laugh off it. He asked my Dad if he wanted tickets that night in return for the spot but we had to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The best ever Irish comedian

Get well soon Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I rarely watch any comedian outside of Billy Connolly, but Brendan Grace has always made me laugh, sure enough he recycles old material (so does Billy tbh) and he wouldn't be seen as a "cool" comedian to like, a more innocent type of humour not relying on expletives to enhance his routine...maybe its just a sentimental thing I have for him, listening to his tapes playing in my parents car as a kid.

The "rhubarb tart" story always makes me giggle. Wish him all the best, tough road for him but I hope he manages it ok.

His Father of the Bride routine is another classic.

They'll be laughing it off in the Intensive Care ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He made a lot of people happy down the years, extremely popular in rural Ireland for a guy from sherriff St, my granny loved him and she's dead twenty years

Was always very overweight so the health issues are to be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember how funny I thought he was as a kid in the 80s.
    Who wants to get the Fr Ted quotes out of the way? If he doesn't get better I'll put your head through a wall etc? I'm a moaning Michael.

loadsa young fellas running around in shorts... that's the type of thing you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Wha you wa

In the chinese takeaway

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Wha you wa

In the chinese takeaway

Wha you ga?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    He made a lot of people happy down the years, extremely popular in rural Ireland for a guy from sherriff St, my granny loved him and she's dead twenty years

Was always very overweight so the health issues are to be expected

From Liberties, not Sheriff St.

Anyway, he is a clean comedian, old ones are the best kind of fella and you can see the punchlines coming a mile off. I love him though, genuine character, bit of fun and no politics and not up his own arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

He's had his fun

And that's all that matters

Get well soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement