Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSC Roundabout flower beds

Options
  • 03-07-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I pass these flower beds on my way to work. The corporation workers spent a full days work filling these 4 flower bed with plants a couple of weeks ago and the poor plants haven't seen a sup of water since. What a terrible waste of money between buying these plants and paying probably 3 or 4 men to plant them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Less work and money if meadow seed was allowed to bloom on these roundabouts. Fairly sure I’ve seen something in the news about councils in England saving a fortune in maintenance costs by laying meadow seed instead of cutting grass and maintaining flowers..good for the insect population too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Rotherham in the UK has saved £23k a year by sowing wildflowers along the verges and roundabouts of 8 miles of road creating rivers of flowers.

Éanna Ní Lamhna was on Newstalk earlier today to ask people to only cut grass every 6 weeks to encourage pollinators into gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Less work and money if meadow seed was allowed to bloom on these roundabouts. Fairly sure I’ve seen something in the news about councils in England saving a fortune in maintenance costs by laying meadow seed instead of cutting grass and maintaining flowers..good for the insect population too.

Funny you should say that. Passed the first roundabout of the ring road in Clonmel coming from Waterford on Saturday. They had it planted with wildflowers as you say, it looked fantastic. Thought it would be great if all the roundabouts in Waterford were planted like that it would look great driving around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

I couldn’t agree more OP!

Saw them while driving past the other day and was so surprised and annoyed to see the state of them.

They are all Dahlias; a beautifully colourful and long flowering plant. They come into their own as the Summer progresses and can still be flowering abundantly until the first frosts arrive. But, they need regular dead-heading to keep the flowers coming and also regular watering. They are a very poor choice for such an exposed site where they will be dried out so easily and not given a regular bit of care. Much more suitable for a garden border .

They are already wilting and compromised.

Advertisement