Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Christmas markets

• 05-06-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Has anyone been to the following markets in recent times:

Nuremberg
    Munich
    Berlin
    Baden baden.

Im looking at 5 days in Germany and have the idea to send a few days in Munich then see some markets there then up to Berlin aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I haven't, sorry !
    I am guessing that the cosier one would be Baden Baden, as it is a smaller city than the others.
    If you go there, Heidelberg is at 1 hour by train, and such a beautiful city. Was there in the Spring, but it must be so pretty with the Christmas market.
    There is a Christmas shop there, Käthe Wohlfahrt, open all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was in Munich in 2017. It's a great city to visit at Christmas. There are a good few markets in the city centre, some of them themed, like the medieval market and the gay market. There's mire in the English Garden. I haven't been to any other German markets so the only other comparison I can make is Prague - another great city to visit but fewer markets than Munich.

They mainly sell arts and crafts and a lot of gluhwein.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

I have 5 to 10 days I can spend over there. So I want to make the absolute best of my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I have 5 to 10 days I can spend over there. So I want to make the absolute best of my time there.
    Have you considered Dresden? I have heard that the Christmas market there is excellent. It is also a handy train journey to Prague so you could fit in a day trip

Edgware wrote: »
    Have you considered Dresden? I have heard that the Christmas market there is excellent. It is also a handy train journey to Prague so you could fit in a day trip

Sure I can go there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sure I can go there
    There is no direct flights from Ireland to Dresden but when we travelled we went to Berlin then train to Dresden and flew out of Prague.

There is no direct flights from Ireland to Dresden but when we travelled we went to Berlin then train to Dresden and flew out of Prague.

Great I'll do that too

How much time would I stay in dresden to see it fully? I read online there are 12 markets there.

otnomart wrote: »
    I haven't, sorry !
    I am guessing that the cosier one would be Baden Baden, as it is a smaller city than the others.
    If you go there, Heidelberg is at 1 hour by train, and such a beautiful city. Was there in the Spring, but it must be so pretty with the Christmas market.
    There is a Christmas shop there, Käthe Wohlfahrt, open all year round.

So when in Baden Baden, I get a train to Heidelberg and the Christmas shop is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

So when in Baden Baden, I get a train to Heidelberg and the Christmas shop is there?
    Yep,
    for train timetables see https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
    info about the shop: https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/en/kaethe-wohlfahrt-at-heidelberg/

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »

Excellent I'll go there for sure. My plan is to see:

Munich
    Stuttgart
    Baden Baden
    Heidelberg
    Frankfurt
    Dresden
    Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Excellent I'll go there for sure. My plan is to see:

Munich
    Stuttgart
    Baden Baden
    Heidelberg
    Frankfurt
    Dresden
    Berlin.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons....you could also consider visiting the Rhein-Ruhr area of Germany. Lovely Christmas markets in Bonn, Köln, Düsseldorf(many small ones dotted around the city), Essen, Oberhausen Centro, Dortmund and the one no one else will find Hattigen set in its beautiful old town(Altstadt). Nice thing is that if you do them in the order I listed you wont spend more than 40 minutes on a train between them.

ok new plan. workmates have suggested why not go a multi city tour of germany and stop at various markets along the route. so my thinking now is the following:

start at:

munich then

nuremberg then

dresden then

berlin then

dusseldorf then

cologne then

frankfurt then

heidelberg then

stuttgart then

back to munich and fly home

If you are doing the list above and coming by train from Berlin...add Dortmund. Its a better option than Düsseldorf...you can get a train from Dortmund to Düsseldorf in 40 minutes. A run over the Xmas market and then a night out in Düsseldorf.... ;)

some markets ive been told need a day if not 2 but i have up to 9 days i can spend over there so i have the time to visit each one and spend a good day there. am i trying to fit in too much?

munich 1 Day

nuremberg 1.5-2 days

dresden 1 full day, maybe 1,5

berlin 1 day

Dortmund 0,5 day
    same day
    Essen 0,5 day
    same evening
    Drinks Düsseldorf

cologne 1-2 days...if you are into drinking

frankfurt 0,5 day

heidelberg 1-2 days, lovely city

stuttgart 0,5 day

If I was doing it, logistically I would be doing the following:

munich 1 day
    nuremberg 2 days
    dresden 1 day if at all
    Dortmund, Essen, Düsseldorf 1-2 days (20-30 minute ride between each)
    * Hattigen 1 day and Centro Oberhausen 1 day, maybe also Münster
    cologne 1 day (Could fly back from Dusseldorf International or Köln Bonn should you not want to do Heidelberg)

*heidelberg 1-2 days, (lovely city and well worth a trip on its own)
    fly home home from Frankfurt or Frankfurt Hahn (Ryanair)

*if you leave out Heidelberg you could do all cities in the Ruhrpott (based in one airbnb, travelling by train) and see what real working class German life is like. You should know in advance that they sell the same thing at each and every market....and most likely they will be over run with tourist groups.

munich 1 Day

nuremberg 1.5-2 days

berlin 1 day

Dortmund 0,5 day
    same day
    Essen 0,5 day
    same evening
    Drinks Düsseldorf

frankfurt 0,5 day

stuttgart 0,5 day

munich 1 day
    nuremberg 2 days
    dresden 1 day if at all
    cologne 1 day (Could fly back from Dusseldorf International or Köln Bonn should you not want to do Heidelberg)

*if you leave out Heidelberg you could do all cities in the Ruhrpott (based in one airbnb, travelling by train) and see what real working class German life is like. You should know in advance that they sell the same thing at each and every market....and most likely they will be over run with tourist groups.

That's brilliant thanks very much for that. It really really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Apologies to complicate this a bit further but if you are in Baden Baden you have to visit the Strasbourg market (and maybe even Colmar) it’s only about an hour away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That all sounds exhausting! Don't forget to give yourself time to relax and enjoy your surroundings too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Posy wrote: »
    That all sounds exhausting! Don't forget to give yourself time to relax and enjoy your surroundings too. :)

There will be plenty of Mulled/Gluhwein to help relax in the markets :-)

• Advertisement

What about the Christmas markets tours I see you can get?

When I was in Vienna last year I bought a second suitcase over there and almost got stung for a small fortune when I checked it in at the airport. This time round I'm gonna bring the 2 cases with me. Anyone any experience tips or advice on this? I will need a second case.

When I was in Vienna last year I bought a second suitcase over there and almost got stung for a small fortune when I checked it in at the airport. This time round I'm gonna bring the 2 cases with me. Anyone any experience tips or advice on this? I will need a second case.

Book the extra luggage with your airline prior to leaving home. Also make sure it entitles you to a second bag and not just increased weight in one bag.

Book the extra luggage with your airline prior to leaving home. Also make sure it entitles you to a second bag and not just increased weight in one bag.

Yes I looked on aer Lingus and it's saying 40kg but that's to be split over the 2 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't been to one, but I've seen pictures of them, and they look lovely

Yes I looked on aer Lingus and it's saying 40kg but that's to be split over the 2 cases.

If the worst came to the worst and you end up buying somewhat more than planned you could always DHL the surplus...

Package 20 kg
    120 x 60 x 60 cm Costs about €35

Package 31,5 kg
    120 x 60 x 60 cm Costs about €45

munich 1 Day

nuremberg 1.5-2 days

berlin 1 day

Dortmund 0,5 day
    same day
    Essen 0,5 day
    same evening
    Drinks Düsseldorf

frankfurt 0,5 day

stuttgart 0,5 day

munich 1 day
    nuremberg 2 days
    dresden 1 day if at all

Will there be luggage storage at the stations? I'll have 2 large cases with me.

Essen, Dortmund, Düsseldorf definately have lockers for luggage. However I would advise you to speak to the hotels you stay at. They normally will facilitate luggage storage once you stayed or are staying with them. Reduces cost...

Essen, Dortmund, Düsseldorf definately have lockers for luggage. However I would advise you to speak to the hotels you stay at. They normally will facilitate luggage storage once you stayed or are staying with them. Reduces cost...

I'll most likely air bnb it keep the costs down

• Advertisement

Upon further advice, I'm going to split the trip in two. I'll go southern Germany this year then north next year. That's way I'll see much more of the markets and can see other things too.

Advertisement