Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heyman and Bischoff named Executive Directors of Raw and smackdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭briany

Remember when they got rid of Corbin as GM and they stood in the ring with the cringy speech of how the fans were in control from now on. Hardly anything has changed since then, it seems like we're getting the same matches over and over. Ratings have been rock bottom. Every aspect of what goes on at tv tapings all has to go through Vince first. I don't expect these new appointments to be any different, everything still has to be signed off by Vince. And we'll still get the same boring old stuff. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

Yeah, that speech was a low point for WWE, particularly because nothing changed. At least back when Vince gave his 'Attitude' speech in late '97, it really did usher in a big change (that was already happening, but still it was an official line of demarcation).

The hiring of Paul Heyman as a top creative guy is a positive move because you get the feeling he still has an amount of vitality to him. Not so sure about Eric Bischoff. Bischoff was a great on-screen personality, but his track record as a booker consists of only one truly great idea, which he subsequently ran into the ground and then part way through the very crust of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

PWInsider posted:

Eric Bischoff officially came to terms with WWE for his new role as Executive Director of Smackdown two weeks ago.

So he's already doing the job.

Smackdown had maybe 2000-2500 in attendance this week and was the same old **** again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Smackdown had maybe 2000-2500 in attendance this week and was the same old **** again.

Nothing will change overnight, even if booking was to be done properly it would take months for fans to get invested in it and trust that its good long term

The long term fix to falling audiences is proper booking, short term fixes are why Undertaker was back Monday night

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bischoff & Brother Love both owe Conrad for getting back in the limelight and making them relevant again in WWE's & Vince's eyes.

Conrad got Tony a gig and JR is now with AEW.

Conrads nostalgia podcast made him an extra fortune and got his stars back in the public eye and back working in major jobs in wrestling promotions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

They'll most likely be micro-managed to the last.

It's not like they'll be able to decide to get Shane off screen, bump Corbin down the card or do what really needs to be done and kill off the years long attempt at making Roman "the guy".

Exactly, which sort of makes it pointless to me, they cant do what they might like to do, or push who they want to push, without vince giving the go ahead.

• Advertisement

Nothing will change overnight, even if booking was to be done properly it would take months for fans to get invested in it and trust that its good long term

The long term fix to falling audiences is proper booking, short term fixes are why Undertaker was back Monday night

They wheeled out the Undertaker again?

Massive Undertaker fan for pretty much his entire run with the company, and up until his streak was broken, but these days he's not so much The Deadman as he is the Nearly Dead Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can understand that people aren't sure about this move but lads I don't watch it religiously at 1am anymore but I try to keep up and they had to try something because what is happening now isn't working. They couldn't to quote the carry on film "carry on regardless" they had to try something. I'd prefer for them to try something and it possibly not work out then to do nothing. I mean vince is still the guy in charge but maybe instead of writers being blow out maybe people who have had success in wrestling might get through to vince.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can understand that people aren't sure about this move but lads I don't watch it religiously at 1am anymore but I try to keep up and they had to try something because what is happening now isn't working. They couldn't to quote the carry on film "carry on regardless" they had to try something. I'd prefer for them to try something and it possibly not work out then to do nothing. I mean vince is still the guy in charge but maybe instead of writers being blow out maybe people who have had success in wrestling might get through to vince.

Who are the guys that "have had success in wrestling"?

Is it the guy that ran ECW into the ground that has been in WWE for years and was instrumental in the recent watching-paint-dry angles with Brock and Ronda or the guy that ran both WCW and TNA into the ground that hasn't been associated with wrestling in years?

It's WWE leaning on some old ****e once again because they've created such a toxic environment that no one new that is half decent in the wrestling world wants anything to do with them anymore.

A has-been circlejerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

J. Marston wrote: »
    Another shake-up for WWE. Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff will take over the running of TV and have been given executive director roles in WWE. Heyman on Raw, Bischoff on Smackdown. Off-screen roles but both will be reporting to Vince...

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2019/06/27/wwe-paul-heyman-monday-night-raw-eric-bischoff-smackdown-live-vince-mcmahon?utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com

Pretty big news. First steps to Vince phasing himself out?

Not reporting to Hunter?

I kinda thought him and Steph were running the whole show

Eric's business partner that former child actor I wonder does he have pull at Fox and this lead to Eric getting into position with Fox so Vince went to him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PWInsider posted:

Eric Bischoff officially came to terms with WWE for his new role as Executive Director of Smackdown two weeks ago.

He signed the contract 2 weeks ago but hasn’t started yet. There’s no official word even if the start date is this week or not.

Who are the guys that "have had success in wrestling"?

Is it the guy that ran ECW into the ground that has been in WWE for years and was instrumental in the recent watching-paint-dry angles with Brock and Ronda or the guy that ran both WCW and TNA into the ground that hasn't been associated with wrestling in years?

It's WWE leaning on some old ****e once again because they've created such a toxic environment that no one new that is half decent in the wrestling world wants anything to do with them anymore.

A has-been circlejerk.
    ECW went bankrupt so I'm not trumpeting Paul heyman as the best money man ever in the business, but as a booker whether you want to believe it or not he is a genius. He's shown it in WWE in the early 2000, when he had to deal with vince. So you can dismiss him but he's a track record of doing good stuff in WWE.

WCW ended because the network they were on decided they wanted nothing to do with wrestling anymore. Would vince have even survived that and he beat vince for a good few years. I'll give you TNA but I enjoyed Bischoff as an on air talent(I know he won't be that this time around) but the guy isn't a complete mess.

Anyone think Steph and HHH are really going to take orders from Paul or Eric.

Anyone think Steph and HHH are really going to take orders from Paul or Eric.

Yeah, that may be an issue. I think it may go pear shaped because of heat between the four you've listed rather than frustration with vince. I mean what is Steph's role in the company outside of Brand officer of WWE ? Trips is above them on the flow chart I think being an Executive Vice President of talent and live events but was there heat between Triple H and Eric and Paul before this ?

Apparently Fox were told nothing about Bishoff being brought in to run Smackdown and are now saying they want Heyman instead :)

These next few years are going to be hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ECW went bankrupt so I'm not trumpeting Paul heyman as the best money man ever in the business, but as a booker whether you want to believe it or not he is a genius. He's shown it in WWE in the early 2000, when he had to deal with vince. So you can dismiss him but he's a track record of doing good stuff in WWE.

WCW ended because the network they were on decided they wanted nothing to do with wrestling anymore. Would vince have even survived that and he beat vince for a good few years. I'll give you TNA but I enjoyed Bischoff as an on air talent(I know he won't be that this time around) but the guy isn't a complete mess.

83 weeks straight

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Apparently Fox were told nothing about Bishoff being brought in to run Smackdown and are now saying they want Heyman instead :)

These next few years are going to be hilarious.

Ah class. Do you have a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah class. Do you have a link for this?

It's more Meltzer musings, presumably.

Fox didn't know anything about it but would have prefered Paul some great mind reading there from Dave, lol

FOX Didn't Know About WWE Hiring Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman
    WWE made major headlines on Thursday morning when they announced that Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff had been hired to be the new executive directors for Monday Night Raw and SmackDown Live, respectively. A lot of questions surround the announcement in regards to how much authority either man has, but it has been confirmed that the two will report directly to Vince McMahon. Some have compared the positions, which were created for the hirings, to how Triple H operates the NXT brand.

"In their executive roles, Heyman and Bischoff will oversee the creative development of WWE's flagship programming and ensure integration across all platforms and lines of business," the press release read. "The creation of these roles further establishes WWE's ability to continuously reinvent its global brand while providing two distinct creative processes for its flagship shows.

However, it turns out WWE might have made the move without telling executives over at FOX. WWE recently signed a multi-year billion-dollar deal with the company to air SmackDown Live on the FOX network starting on October 4.

"I do know that the FOX people had no idea this was coming," Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer said on an episode of Wrestling Observer Radio on Thursday afternoon.

Meltzer went on to add that the FOX executives would have preferred Heyman be assigned to the Blue Brand rather than Bischoff. According to Sports Illustrated's Justin Barrasso, Bischoff will work directly with the FOX executives once the show makes the move over to the network.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/2019/06/27/wwe-paul-heyman-eric-bischoff-fox-did-not-know-report/

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's more Meltzer musings, presumably.

Got you so big fake Dave the AEW spokesperson wrote it.

Totally legit. Fox neither know about it or care about it and like anyone in Fox cares about who Heyman is.

• Advertisement

PWInsider posted:

Confirmed not to be doing the job yet and it’ll be a while before either are fully involved in their roles.

https://rajah.com/node/tentative-plan-when-heyman-bischoff-are-going-start-their-new-roles

I imagine they’ll want to box off current storylines and then start fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Exactly. I'd say it could be the far side of SummerSlam before they have full control. The transition period may see changes as they start getting more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Possible appearance on Tuesday?

6ce1jys2e4731.jpg

"See what Eric Bischoff has in store for Smackdown Live"

He has Kofi v Dolph for the title. Again again again. I can only assume it's a dark match but it's not a great start anyway

I would not be surprised like everything the WWE do these days they rush this onto TV and makes a complete balls of it instead of giving it a chance to get ready and grow back stage before putting it on TV.

"See what Eric Bischoff has in store for Smackdown Live"

He has Kofi v Dolph for the title. Again again again. I can only assume it's a dark match but it's not a great start anyway

Ah here not even in the job a day. You can’t blame anything on him yet.

Waiting for Hogan and The Nasty Boys to takeover Smackdown

I would not be surprised like everything the WWE do these days they rush this onto TV and makes a complete balls of it instead of giving it a chance to get ready and grow back stage before putting it on TV.

Good point. A true tonal shift takes time to accomplish, but today's times don't have any patience for a slow build. I doubt WWE's shareholders and advertisers want to hear that it will take a year or two to overhaul the direction of the company, but that's exactly what happened in the transition between the New Generation era and the Attitude era. That was a two year deal from the Austin 3:16 promo to where WWE overtook WCW in the ratings for good, pretty much, and it took a bit of searching and a few happy accidents before the right formula was found.

Doing is always better than saying (where positive changes are concerned, anyway), so it still remains to be seen how much is done vs. how much is said, and also how many of the changes will be merely superficial.

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah here not even in the job a day. You can’t blame anything on him yet.

I'm not really, but why have the tag of what will Bischoff bring when they're putting out the same thing again

• Advertisement

I'm not really, but why have the tag of what will Bischoff bring when they're putting out the same thing again

Because that's probably what he'll end up having to do anywya.

Him and Heyman are in there as scapegoats for the shareholders whilst Vinny Mc continues to tank the company.

Advertisement