Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasm of despair

Options
  • 17-06-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

So at the start of the year I decided to double down on the training in preparation for a few races in May/June. Training went well. I felt strong and TBH I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Then a few weeks ago I did my tibialis anterior (never knew I had one) and strained my hamstring and this has totally knocked me for six.

The hamstring is still sore, the physio has given me some exercises etc but I am in a chasm of despair. It's like all that work has been thrown away. I don't even want to go out for a gentle jog right now.

Anyone else suffering from injury blues? Any strategies to help me get over it? Your wise counsel is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ive been through injuries and have let every one of them get to me and stop me running, even after it had passed or else I made little to no effort to try sort it.

Patience is the key unfortunately, as annoying as it is seeing everyone on strava running to beat the band, sitting on the sideline has to be done. Work as hard as you can to make yourself right, but don't rush yourself in to mad mileage when you do make a return.

Most physios will only stop you running if they absolutely have to, have a chat with them and see can you come to some sort of plan that will keep you going without furthering the injury, but you have to stick to what they tell you otherwise you'll be forever injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cycling has always been my go to when too injured to run. As a brucie bonus it works many of the same systems as running and gets you out in the fresh air.

Cycling is undoubtedly faffier than running but when you cannot run, it really really helps with the angst - or indeed the chasm of despair..

If you decide to go cycling I have to strongly recommend you buy or borrow actual cycling clothes. Running clothes are designed to let the wind in, this is not great for cycling as the speeds are greater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

It's one of those bitter pills but injuries are a part of running and are inevitable. They are physical and mental setbacks but are also learning curves if you are willing to listen and pay attention to the why and hows of the reasons they happen. They feel like the end of the world but if they are not chronic long-term issues, they will only fill in a very brief period of your running life and should give you invaluable info in preventing further injuries down the line so even as frustrating as they are, an injury layoff for someone who isn't running at ultimate potential or for a very long time will only be a minor downpoint and won't be a huge long-term obstacle(if not chronic)

Questions worth asking yourself would be:

Did I ramp up training too quickly?
    Did I ignore warning signs before been laid off?
    What Surfaces am I running on and could I mix it up better?
    What steps can I take to be as proactive at injury rehab as I was at running?
    What steps can I take to avoid/minimise future injuries?

It seems like the end of the world now in the moment and the first few weeks back will feel rough but once it's over, you'll soon forget about it and be armed with more knowledge and experience to make better long-term decisions and in understanding the stresses on your body and how much it can take and adapt the training to that which should help you yield much better results in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So at the start of the year I decided to double down on the training in preparation for a few races in May/June. Training went well. I felt strong and TBH I was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Then a few weeks ago I did my tibialis anterior (never knew I had one) and strained my hamstring and this has totally knocked me for six.

The hamstring is still sore, the physio has given me some exercises etc but I am in a chasm of despair. It's like all that work has been thrown away. I don't even want to go out for a gentle jog right now.

Anyone else suffering from injury blues? Any strategies to help me get over it? Your wise counsel is much appreciated.

Hello,

I'm no longer blue but was off for long enough with a ruptured ACL. It not only took away my fitness but my confidence.

You'll get back to it. As others have suggested if you can't run they try cycling or swimming if able. Both fantastic alternatives.

If you are allowed run then do your exercises as prescribed by the physio and gently ease yourself back into running. Get the enjoyment back. Your fitness will return as the body remembers.

It took me 18 months if not more to have the confidence to return to club training and attempt a race. I still carry physchological damage from the injury and that is my biggest issue now as I know the knee will hold. I was helpfully told that if I should be worrying about any knee not holding up it is the other one as that's held with the original ligament.

I hope you're ok. It is hard to accept when training is going well and you're suddenly sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

One thing i would suggest is to still try and get outdoors, cycling, walking etc.
    One thing i noticed when injured is missing the outdoors, fresh air, daylight made me feel more glum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

One thing i would suggest is to still try and get outdoors, cycling, walking etc.
    One thing i noticed when injured is missing the outdoors, fresh air, daylight made me feel more glum

Really agree with this.

As a cycle commuter and runner, when I had an injury earlier this year, I had to get the bus and it affected me massively not getting my exercise and air every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to back up the previous two posts with a really good article featuring some fascinating science, have a read of this.... and this

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Folks thanks for all the advice. All great stuff but this one from Fusitive resonates:
    What steps can I take to be as proactive at injury rehab as I was at running?

I think I'm guilty as charged here. I don't put anything close to the effort required into the rehab if I am honest with myself.

I went out for a trail run yesterday. Still sore. I'll try keeping your kind advice in mind.

Good luck to everyone with your running.

Advertisement