Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Second Source" Confirms Project Veritas Report on YouTube Meddling in Irish Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Boggles wrote: »
    Any who uses Breitbart for their "news" should be put on a register, oh and blasted with píss.

For the sake of the discussion let's pretend it's all true.

What should (could?) Ireland do if Google and Facebook, etc., are attempting to interfere in our politics and society?

I'm really not sure what the solution is, but I think we should start thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Odhinn wrote: »
    Being racist, anti-semetic etc automatically means they are unreliable as they are biased against various races and the Jews.

Steve Bannon is one of the most Pro semitic, pro Israel operators out there.. You should know this

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    For the sake of the discussion let's pretend it's all true.

What should (could?) Ireland do if Google and Facebook, etc., are attempting to interfere in our politics and society?

I'm really not sure what the solution is, but I think we should start thinking about it.

Arrest, bring to trial, convict and imprison the person or persons with responsibility in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Steve Bannon is one of the most Pro semitic, pro Israel operators out there.. You should know this

It's been shown that under his stewardship breitbart became increasingly anti-semetic and racist.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenkilloran/2016/11/14/steve-bannon-and-breitbart-news-why-everyone-but-the-alt-right-fears-trumps-top-adviser-pick/#5b9293a239c0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Please post proof that Breitbart are an unreliable news organisation.

How many Seth Rich stories would you like?

• Advertisement

Arrest, bring to trial, convict and imprison the person or persons with responsibility in this area.

So if we could prove without a doubt that Google was interfering in Ireland's next referendum (let's pretend for the discussion), could we realistically get someone from Google arrested...?

Even if we assume there's hard evidence and without a doubt it was on purpose, would the US government comply with our extradition request?

I don't know, I feel like probably we'd be told to f-off.

How many Seth Rich stories would you like?
    I'd like one that solves his murder and brings the perps to justice. I'm sure you would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I praised FOX for their journalism earlier in the thread when I pointed out that bias was fine but that factual inaccuracy was not.

I said that breitbart was trash and I stand by that.
    TBH I equate Breitbart with The Daily Kos and Alex Jones with Media Matters. I think they all are over the top with bias and deceitful at times and don't bother reading from any of them unless I have to.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You would need to identify the electoral law being broken and apply the sanctions from the statute book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's always interesting to see people trying to justify their own cognitive dissonance.

Even if the video is full of framing and selective edits, those clips of google execs are enough to cause serious concern in almost any context.

As is googles attempts to memory hole the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It seems most media outlets these days have a bias or agenda. That doesn't mean you should discount them completely and not look at what they are saying. I often watch what I know is pure propaganda to see what they are trying to push. Know your enemy. Sometimes they even tell the truth.

There are long excerpts from this that are not edited though that incriminate google. If you are refusing to watch it at all because of the source then you have your head in the sand.

Bambi wrote: »
    It's always interesting to see people trying to justify their own cognitive dissonance.

Even if the video is full of framing and selective edits, those clips of google execs are enough to cause serious concern in almost any context.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    There are long excerpts from this that are not edited though that incriminate google. If you are refusing to watch it at all because of the source then you have your head in the sand.

People have chosen their faith and they'll do whatever they can to dismiss anything which questions their beliefs.

The right do it too. I think it's just a part of being human.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Ignoring the fact that Breitbart is notoriously biased and unreliable, and that Project Veritas has been caught more than once faking news stories has anyone explained why google would wan to risk there business over something like abortion rights in Ireland? I could understand why they might have a vested interest in who becomes US president but the idea that they would risk their position as one of the biggest tech companies in the world over abortion rights is laughable.

Ignoring the fact that Breitbart is notoriously biased and unreliable, and that Project Veritas has been caught more than once faking news stories has anyone explained why google would wan to risk there business over something like abortion rights in Ireland? I could understand why they might have a vested interest in who becomes US president but the idea that they would risk their position as one of the biggest tech companies in the world over abortion rights is laughable.

It is odd alright, but perhaps they do this sort of thing all the time, but no one notices? I would think most likely each time it's due to a few well meaning (or not so well meaning) people, rather than some guy sitting in a room deciding he wants to control the world.

We know San Francisco leans very left, so perhaps Google is full of leftist types who saw Ireland's abortion referendum as some sort of battle for women?

Perhaps they were using it as a test case?

Frankly I'd be very surprised if Google aren't using their power for their own purposes. They're all powerful, and all powerful things tend to be very corrupt.

Odd that they'd care. It's been known for ages that Google interferes with results, so I don't understand why so many people have trouble believing it, just because of the source.

Sometimes, it's not about slant and bias on a story. Sometimes, it's about the story never being told by one side at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

It is odd alright, but perhaps they do this sort of thing all the time, but no one notices? I would think most likely each time it's due to a few well meaning (or not so well meaning) people, rather than some guy sitting in a room deciding he wants to control the world.

We know San Francisco leans very left, so perhaps Google is full of leftist types who saw Ireland's abortion referendum as some sort of battle for women?

Perhaps they were using it as a test case?

Frankly I'd be very surprised if Google aren't using their power for their own purposes. They're all powerful, and all powerful things tend to be very corrupt.

Well if it's not Google policy and was just a few 'well meaning' types how would this whistleblower know about it?

Everyone is also ignoring the fact that according to the Breitbart story 'repeal the 8th' was supposedly added to the blacklist. Now why would they add both pro abortion and anti abortion search terms to the black list if they were trying to influence the election?

Nothing about the story makes any sense.

Nothing about the story makes any sense.

I guess the reason it does not make sense is that most people - and I include myself in this - have no idea how and why google and others manipulate their search results. And because some of the ways and reasons they do so are - by necessity - secretive it becomes mundanely easy to build conspiracy narratives around their motives and actions. Especially simplistic narratives such as the whole left/right partisan nonsense we seem to enjoy importing from American Dialog.

For example in the Breitbart article there is an informative sentence hidden amongst the article which reads "When YouTube or Google add terms to the list, search results for those terms will only display links to YouTube-approved “verified” sources in the top results."

This happens quite a lot - not just connected to referendum or election campaigning. If the algorithms in the system detect malicious activity related to given search terms - then the algorithm will lock down search results to verified sources.

For example if you use bot accounts to suddenly upload all kinds of videos suggesting Nutella put dodgy ingredients in their products - then very quickly you tube would start putting the search term "Nutella ingredients" on this black list to ensure that when people search for "Nutella Ingredients" they are not getting the results _Your_ attempt to manipulate the algorithm was trying to make them get.

This would not - at all - be You Tube attempting to promote Nutella or protect or even improve their market share. But if you wrote an article titled "Source Confirms Report on YouTube Meddling in Nutella Searches" you very much could write an article making it look like You Tube was doing exactly that. And it would be a convincing article.

As you yourself pointed out - they blocked terms related to _both_ sides in the referendum. So the people thinking they are influencing results in order to influence election results are not making sense. See blocking a term "repeal the 8th" in this way is _not_ blocking videos about repeal the 8th. What it _is_ doing is ensuring the results you get when searching for videos for Repeal the 8th are not results coming from bot accounts and malicious agents attempting to corrupt you tube.

So it is win-win for people like Veritas. They - or someone like them - just need to commission a company to manipulate anti abortion videos on you tube. Very easily done - you and I could commission it for a few 100 dollars today. Then if you tube do nothing about it - these videos flood the memesphere and they win. If you tube does do something about it - by locking down certain search terms to verified sources as they did - Veritas can then scream manipulation and they win. Either way they win really.

Most people are not at all aware of the constant and complex war going on between people like google, youtube, face book and twitter - and all kinds of hackers and malicious agents who are abusing those services. These services try all kinds of things in the war - and if anyone wanted to retrospectively use those moves to make people like You Tube look like they are acting to a political agenda - it would be very very easy to do with minimal effort.

A content creator - on you tube as it happens comically enough - recently did a multi part video on this subject and I genuinely recommend it as a first step in the eduction of just what these people are up to and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PGm8LslEb4&t=5s - Manipulating You Tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-1RhQ1uuQ4&t=610s - Manipulating Twitter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY_NtO7SIrY - Manipulating Facebook

I think you're really kidding yourself if you think it's mostly conspiracy narratives.

Even simply this:

Google uses a lot of machine learning.

Machine learning relies on models to make decisions.

These models are created using training data.

This training data is hand selected by Google employees.

So let's say Google builds a model to better deal with Ireland's abortion referendum searches.

This model will be trained to recognise good and bad types of articles.

A company like Google, full of San Francisco left wing folk, are going to be biased, and as a result are going to create a biased model.

That means pro-abortion will promoted above anti-abortion.

This is undeniable and anyone here who works in machine learning will know exactly what I'm talking about.

It's more likely that because anti-abortion in America is associated with the far-right, and because that climate is so toxic in the last few years, advertisers don't want their ads played on anti-abortion videos, or any right-leaning videos. So google shows them less because they make less money.

Even simply this:

And I think you are really kidding yourself if you think that simplistic process as you describe above is A) how models are built and B) what the agenda of the models are. Even your sentence "good and bad types of articles" is so fabulously vague as to be comical but certainly not meaningful. I am afraid declaring something "undeniable" does not magically make it so.

However just for kicks I opened you tube and types "Abortion Ireland". Not seeing that bias in the results myself. Of the first page of results I get most of them are videos looking at both sides of the issue - or reporting on the result. For example the video "The stories of two pregnant women who made different choices"

The _first_ video I see with a title suggesting it is for one side or the other in the republic however is anti abortion. Title is "Meet the people fighting to keep Ireland's abortion ban" which is a video from the Guardian which I would have expected to be pro repeal to be honest. The next video after that which I get is "Irish Senator Rónán Mullen on keeping abortion illegal in Ireland".

In fact I have to go forward not 1 but 10 more videos before I get my first pro-choice result and it is not even related to the republic it is "Northern Ireland's abortion laws: ‘Women deserve the choice’"

So if I were conspiracy minded - which thankfully I am not - I would say these results seem more skewed to heavily anti abortion from my results. Not that we all get the same results from the same searches however.

• Advertisement

And I think you are really kidding yourself if you think that simplistic process as you describe above is A) how models are built and B) what the agenda of the models are.

I manage a machine learning team and do machine learning as part of my every day job. I'm not some random guy online making up theories about machine learning.

It's more likely that because anti-abortion in America is associated with the far-right, and because that climate is so toxic in the last few years, advertisers don't want their ads played on anti-abortion videos, or any right-leaning videos. So google shows them less because they make less money.

Ah! Good thinking. I bet you it's mostly this.

I manage a machine learning team and do machine learning as part of my every day job. I'm not some random guy online making up theories about machine learning.

I do not care (or to be honest believe) who you are - I can only evaluate what you say. And if what you say seems to be over simplistic nonsense then claiming qualifications while saying it - especially qualifications I am in no position to verify and you display no sign of actually holding - does not stop it seeming to be over simplistic nonsense.

Also managing a team just means your job is managing a team. Very often it is possible - and I know many people who in fact do it - to manage a team who have a skill set you yourself entirely lack. I once had to manage a team of tax accountants for example. I know pretty much literally nothing about tax. At all. I was not required to.

So moving from _who_ you claim to be back to _what_ you are claiming: As I said even your phrase "good and bad types of articles" is so powerfully vague that it qualifies for nothing more than comedy. It is certainly not meaningful or informative. And I see nothing to suggest you know the way these models are created - nor even what these models are created to do.

I notice you glossed over the fact when I actually did a search the bias of the results not only did not go even remotely the way you predict a San Fran influenced model would - but if anything went the other way.

Ah! Good thinking. I bet you it's mostly this.

It's well-established that this has been an issue for the last couple of years.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/353213-right-fumes-after-youtube-ad-crackdown
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/20/youtube-extremist-video-advertisment/

So while it may not be Google's own societal views that are impacting what users see, we are still being shown content based on the whims of the advertisers, which isn't much better. I guess this will also impact regular google searches as it makes little sense for the company to put pages without Ads by Google high in the search results.

The end result is people only finding PC content that is advertiser-friendly. In this case, pro-abortion may have been that PC content.

I do not care (or to be honest believe) who you are - I can only evaluate what you say. And if what you say seems to be over simplistic nonsense then claiming qualifications while saying it - especially qualifications I am in no position to verify and you display no sign of actually holding - does not stop it seeming to be over simplistic nonsense.

Also managing a team just means your job is managing a team. Very often it is possible - and I know many people who in fact do it - to manage a team who have a skill set you yourself entirely lack. I once had to manage a team of tax accountants for example. I know pretty much literally nothing about tax. At all. I was not required to.

So moving from _who_ you claim to be back to _what_ you are claiming: As I said even your phrase "good and bad types of articles" is so powerfully vague that it qualifies for nothing more than comedy. It is certainly not meaningful or informative. And I see nothing to suggest you know the way these models are created - nor even what these models are created to do.

Are you for real?

OBVIOUSLY I'm giving a simplistic explanation of how machine learning works.

You expect me to go through machine learning step by step to make my point about staff bias? What would that accomplish except confuse people with technical details?

I'm a CTO, background in computer science, so your analogy about managers not knowing what their team does doesn't apply to me.

Machine learning has bias. That's it. Can we move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Oh hey it's an argument from authority in which we have no idea (and/or don't believe) that you have the authority you say, and then it boils down to 'btw I'm right so let's just move on please!!'

Yeah not going to go with that one :rolleyes:

Are you for real?

Very much so. Are you?
    OBVIOUSLY I'm giving a simplistic explanation of how machine learning works. You expect me to go through machine learning step by step

There is a world of difference between simple and simplistic however. I dumb down my areas of expertise too when I am writing on boards - to make them simple. But never simplistic. You appear to operate the other way around.

See the problem with the line "good and bad types of articles" when trying to introduce your narrative of Employee Bias is it paints the picture that it is is the _content_ of the article itself that would be the focus of the models. Which is the main reason for my scepticism that you know what you are talking about - that you know how these models are built - or that you know what the agenda of such models even is.

Let me explain it simply - not simplistically - for the boards users who I am not motivated to treat like idiots. The main goal of the algorithms of service providers like You Tube is not simply to police the content of the articles as your simplistic narrative attempted to imply. The main agenda is above all to ensure that the person _behind_ The content is in fact a real person.

The goal in other words - if you were to make a video on abortion in Ireland - is not to build machine learning models intent on working out if your article is pro choice or anti choice and hence a "good" or "bad" article. Its main goal above all else is to ensure you are an actual person making that content and not some malicious bot network or paid actor attempting to game the you tube algorithms.

I do not think users here are as easily confused by technicals as you might image. The first video I linked to above for example - the one on gaming the You Tube algorithm specifically - is certainly mildly technical - much more so than your posts have been - but I can see nothing whatsoever in it that is going to confuse anyone here.
    I'm a CTO, background in computer science, so your analogy about managers not knowing what their team does doesn't apply to me. Machine learning has bias. That's it. Can we move on?

Again I can only take your word for your qualifications - which I do not. I do not care who you are. I only care about what you say and your evidence for saying it. If Einstein was reincarnated and made a post about physics - I would not care it was Einstein. I would only care about the content of the actual post. "Appeal to authority" is considered a fallacy. Especially when that authority is your own. Say what you want - your CV is irrelevant to me however.

As for moving on - only you can control who you reply to next and what you say. Move on if you wish :)

Let me explain it simply - not simplistically - for the boards users who I am not motivated to treat like idiots. The main goal of the algorithms of service providers like You Tube is not simply to police the content of the articles as your simplistic narrative attempted to imply. The main agenda is above all to ensure that the person _behind_ The content is in fact a real person.

I'm surprised to hear I was saying the machine learning used by YouTube is "simply to police the content of the articles".

Where did I say that?

I think you'll find I never said that, but rather you're making up things so you can argue against something I never said.

You're unable to have a civil conversation, and you're making it obvious I shouldn't be talking to someone like you, so you're going on my ignore list now. Feel free to continue making up things and having this bizarre argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

You're unable to have a civil conversation, and you're making it obvious I shouldn't be talking to someone like you, so you're going on my ignore list now. Feel free to continue making up things and having this bizarre argument.

They have been 100% civil, you just don't like being challenged it seems. If you get this defensive the first time someone questions your alleged authority...

• Advertisement

I'm surprised to hear I was saying the machine learning used by YouTube is "simply to police the content of the articles".

No one said you said that. You are making this up now.

What I very clearly said - and anyone can scroll up to see this - was that I said the simplistic way you described the process builds that _implication_.

When you talked about "good and bad" articles and then simply skipped from there _directly_ to the political biases of the employees - that is very much the implication that you make to the reader.

Now not being psychic I can not claim to know that that implication was your intention. You might not even be aware that that is the implication that spills out of your post.

What certainly is _not_ in your posts so far - neither directly or by any kind of implication - is any sense whatsoever that you know what the algorithms of people like You Tube are actually built to do. It is simply not anywhere in your posts in any form - and that feeds my suspicion about your agenda here.

_Again_ it really is simple. The You Tube and other algorithms are built with many functions but primarily to ensure that the content creator is real and not a bot network or malicious actor.

And conspiracy theorists such as yourself can easily - it is almost child's play in fact - retrospectively look at what the algorithm did and make it look like they were suppressing one political agenda or another.

But twice now I must point out that you have simply glossed over and run away from the simple fact that when I do a search for something like "abortion ireland" on you tube the bias you imagine not only is not in operation - if anything the search results go the _other way entirely_ giving me numerous anti abortion articles long before it gave me the first pro abortion article. Bummer for you I guess.
    You're unable to have a civil conversation

Please show me one sentence I have written this morning that was in any way uncivil? I can not find one. Maybe you could build and employ a heavily biased machine learning algorithm to find it for you* :)

* actually admittedly _that_ was (intentionally) the closest to being uncivil I have been so far. But I plead comedic license :)

Advertisement