Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Second Source" Confirms Project Veritas Report on YouTube Meddling in Irish Abortion

Options
  • 27-06-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/06/26/second-source-confirms-project-veritas-report-on-youtube-meddling-in-irish-abortion-referendum-searches/
    Another source at Google has corroborated a report from Project Veritas that appears to show that YouTube manually interfered in search results related to the referendum to decriminalize abortion in Ireland, which was won by the pro-abortion side.

The source, a former software engineer at Google, confirmed to Breitbart News that YouTube manually intervened in search results related to the referendum at least one week before the vote in Ireland.

Put politics and abortion aside for a moment, I find this stuff quite worrying. If it's true, US tech companies are attempting to interfere in Irish referendum results.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You should look at your own sources OP for the sources of the second source.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

It's also quite worrying that people would use Breitbart for their news, or believe anything from Project Veritas, who are proven liars and proponents of attempts to 'entrap' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's also quite worrying that people would use Breitbart for their news, or believe anything from Project Veritas, who are proven liars and proponents of attempts to 'entrap' people.

I think it's important to read all sorts of news sources. There is so much misinformation by everyone, you have to read it all and come to your own conclusions.

Do you find it hard to believe Google could try to influence search results?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Actually, yes. It would set a terrifying precedent and bring down all sorts of bad press upon Google. Might even catalyse international, coordinated action and all for influencing a referendum result?

I wouldn't trust a nasty publication like Breitbart on this. I'll wait for independent verification.
    I think it's important to read all sorts of news sources. There is so much misinformation by everyone, you have to read it all and come to your own conclusions.

Sure but reading too much of the extremist nonsense is never a good idea. I'd apply the same logic to far lefty outlets as well. Surely, the Telegraph, Spectator, Sun and Daily Mail would be suitable for Conservatives?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The Googler in the Video, Jen, is it just me or does she sound Irish?
    Quite disturbing to think the way Google want to shape the world on their terms.

• Advertisement

I do find that fairly hard to believe actually. Why would they? If the answer is 'it's part of the MSM liberal elite agenda' then get out of here.

What definitely isn't remotely convincing is the preferred 'news' outlet of the alt-right saying that another alt-right organisation has discovered 'proof' of something that they and their followers would love to be true.

Diceicle wrote: »
    The Googler in the Video, Jen, is it just me or does she sound Irish?
    Quite disturbing to think the way Google want to shape the world on their terms.

Thankfully Breitbart and Project Veritas would never try to shape the world on their terms...

Thankfully Breitbart and Project Veritas would never try to shape the world on their terms...

The difference being Google has the ways and means to actually do it. Veritas and the likes of Breitbart, their influence is miniscule compared to the big tech companies.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

But but but it's no secret, and I'm talking about since the dawn of google, that results can be manipulated.

Why is it such a big deal now?

I do find that fairly hard to believe actually. Why would they?

So you think Google wouldn't, but Breitbart and Project Veritas would.

Interesting...

• Advertisement

I do find that fairly hard to believe actually. Why would they? If the answer is 'it's part of the MSM liberal elite agenda' then get out of here.

What definitely isn't remotely convincing is the preferred 'news' outlet of the alt-right saying that another alt-right organisation has discovered 'proof' of something that they and their followers would love to be true.

You don't believe there to be an anti-conservative / pro-liberal bias in the likes of Twitter, FB, Pinterest, Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The leaked documents of censorship involved a discussion thread from within Google that included a bunch of terms related to the abortion referendum in Ireland... that were blacklisted. The leaked documents from a Google employee was provided to Breitbart. It only makes sense that Breitbart would be the media entity first to report on it.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

So you think Google wouldn't, but Breitbart and Project Veritas would.

Interesting...

I didn't say Google wouldn't, but that there is no credible proof that they have.

Breitbart and Project Veritas do have form for false claims and biased reporting.

If you want to read more sources, find some more balanced mainstream ones, rather than reading all the extremists (right or left) and trying to make up your mind amongst them.

Many of the "mainstream" sources are just as extreme.

I'd call them all a mixed bag.

They all have an agenda.

For example, CNN and MSNBC are still full-time on the conspiracy theory that Trump is a Russian agent. FOX still won't stop obsessing about Hilllary Clinton.

notobtuse wrote: »
    The leaked documents of censorship involved a discussion thread from within Google that included a bunch of terms related to the abortion referendum in Ireland... that were blacklisted. The leaked documents from a Google employee was provided to Breitbart. It only makes sense that Breitbart would be the media entity first to report on it.

are you sure that these things are being 'censored' to not try to influence?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The left and right. Battling a cyber Cold War for our very souls.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    are you sure that these things are being 'censored' to not try to influence?
    If the report is true, by not including pro-life results (until pages later - usually after most would stop looking) in a person's search, Google is preforming a form of censorship.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

If the report is true, by not including pro-life results (until pages later - usually after most would stop looking) in a person's search, Google is preforming a form of censorship.

But how is it supposed to sort results? There has to be some sort of sort happen.

mad muffin wrote: »
    The left and right. Battling a cyber Cold War for our very souls.
    The left maybe, but most of the right just wants to present viewpoints the media chooses to ignore so the readers can make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Some "Pro-Life" scum set up fake abortion website :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/hse-complains-to-google-over-myoptions-ie-website-1.3782115

" Yesterday the top return on a Google search for “My Options” was for a site called myoptions.website, not operated by the HSE, but run by an anti-abortion group.

The site contains a mobile number and an email address, promises a free ultrasound and has a video claiming links between abortion and cancer. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Message always takes on some attributes of the Messenger, which is why he was historically shot. Good enough for the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but most of the right just wants to present viewpoints the media chooses to ignore so the readers can make an informed decision.
    That's every bit as much a delusion as if somebody said it about left-leaning media.

Take the video in the OP, for example - you don't think the makers of that video have a particular position which they want the viewer to arrive at?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But how is it supposed to sort results? There has to be some sort of sort happen.
    I'd say sort the results by what people searching think happens... That the resulting sources that people click on from similar searches would appear at the top.

osarusan wrote: »
    That's every bit as much a delusion as if somebody said it about left-leaning media.

Take the video in the OP, for example - you don't think the makers of that video have a particular position which they want the viewer to arrive at?
    I'm not talking about the media, I'm talking about everyday people.

But sure, PV does. The main guy is conservative and goes after stories that help his cause. The MSM does it also. He doesn't have a massive operation. They target something/somebody they feel is doing something illegal, immoral or shady. And they'll report on the results of the investigation. Something widely reported on by the MSM won't get investigated, and why should such a small organization go after something everyone else is reporting on? And since the MSM usually ignores (until they can't ignore something any longer) most subjects that would hurt liberal/progressive ideals and values, it leaves PV a big swath of targets to go after. Why is it that only right leaning media entities are evil? Since we know almost all media reporting is biased, wouldn't anybody want to read both viewpoints on a subject matter in order to develop their own conclusions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/06/26/second-source-confirms-project-veritas-report-on-youtube-meddling-in-irish-abortion-referendum-searches/

Put politics and abortion aside for a moment, I find this stuff quite worrying. If it's true, US tech companies are attempting to interfere in Irish referendum results.

I believe you but its puzzling. We are tiny I wouldn't have thought we mattered at all!?:confused:

I believe you but its puzzling. We are tiny I wouldn't have thought we mattered at all!?:confused:
    Every soul collected by Google is important. They help pay their bills and attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Se we know almost all media reporting is biased, wouldn't anybody want to read both viewpoints on a subject matter in order to develop their own conclusions?

I don't disagree with this, but it clearly contradicts what you said earlier that most right-leaning media organisations just want to let the viewer come to an informed decision.

Offering a right-leaning slant to counteract a left-leaning slant isn't necessarily going to let the viewer come to an informed decision.

They may have more stuff in their head, but that doesn't mean they'll be any more informed.

I'd say sort the results by what people searching think happens... That the resulting sources that people click on from similar searches would appear at the top.

But do you not see how that can be manipulated?

Get 10 people to hit a link from a search, get 100 people to do it.....and there you have it, that result jumps up the search results.

There has to be logic behind the results, and logic behind the sort order.

It's bizarre alright.

If it's true, the only conclusion I can come to is either a) they're doing this for all sorts of things or b) there's an Irish person working there who has some influence. For example, perhaps the head of search is Irish or something.

I know they've a big office in Dublin. Do the people working there have any influence over the search algorithms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Many of the "mainstream" sources are just as extreme.

I'd call them all a mixed bag.

They all have an agenda.

For example, CNN and MSNBC are still full-time on the conspiracy theory that Trump is a Russian agent. FOX still won't stop obsessing about Hilllary Clinton.

Could you supply a quote from CNN where they state that Trump is a "Russian agent"?

Advertisement