Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations of places with peaceful environments?

• 25-06-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Anyone got any recommendations of places with peaceful environments for easy reading or studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you only need peace and quiet?
    Then one of the libraries should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

Then one of the libraries should work.

I have to say I disagree, depending on the time of year. During the term the NUIG libraries are full of people and a lot of chat/bustling around etc - can be very distracting. The city library is never possible to find a seat, in my experience, it's generally very full. Depends what you are trying to do of course and your tolerance for background noise. Haven't tried Westside library though.

I sometimes work in cafes. There are a few that have hidden away upstairs/back areas etc. Again this can be dependent on the season, I find them generally more full in winter and less so in summer as people are outside. And of course you need to buy stuff so as not to create resentment. Often cafes get super popular over time, I would have once done some work now and then in Urban Grind but it's too busy these days. Best thing is to find one not too central that is newish and start going there at times other than lunchtime, like mornings/late afternoons.

Best of luck, it is a difficult one!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For a while I worked out of a pub.
    During the morning and day it was on par with an office noise-wise.
    Now, I know the owner so got a table in a quiet nook and had some coffee and lunch to keep them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The Secret Garden? Jungle Cafe?

On a day like this grab a blanket and find a nice spot in Salthill or maybe by Menlo Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

end of Long Walk, bliss today

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    end of Long Walk, bliss today

With a bag of cans yes, for studying not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Coole Park.

Renville Park.

Barna Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Circle of Life garden in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With colleges off for the summer, I imagine the NUI campus outdoor grounds would be quiet at this time of year. Some of the hotels might also have a study room (again tea/coffee purchase may be required)
    If all else fails, read in church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

flazio wrote: »
    With colleges off for the summer, I imagine the NUI campus outdoor grounds would be quiet at this time of year. Some of the hotels might also have a study room (again tea/coffee purchase may be required)
    If all else fails, read in church.

You could sit out in Dangan ( NUIG Grounds ) this week with very little distraction if reading . Library obvious one too if need a bit more focus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The NUI Galway library is not open to the general public, you need student or staff ID to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

One of the city libraries would be the obvious answer. I've a few more alternative suggestions but I'll hold off until the OP replies to say they need them.

The NUI Galway library is not open to the general public, you need student or staff ID to gain entry.

Any alumni of the university can also access the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Any alumni of the university can also access the library.

Really.. Never knew that. Presume you have to sign at the desk or something??

smurf492 wrote: »
    Really.. Never knew that. Presume you have to sign at the desk or something??

I only learned of it recently but haven’t actually done it myself yet, I think you get set up with a card so you can come and go when you want if I’m remember correctly from the person who told me.

This link confirms it: https://library.nuigalway.ie/usingthelibrary/accessingthelibrary/

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

It could be any room in your house, a library and an area of your backyard garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AtomicBolts

Thanks all for the replies.

A few points things I really should have clarified in my post. Looking for an area that is suitable to all climates. Not just the fine weather like this week. Ideally it'll be somewhere I could go every week for several weeks on a regular schedule to read/study/work in relative peace. Willing to be flexible with schedule if needs be.

I'm not alumni of any of the galway educational institutions. Have tried the city library and it's serviceable, just wondering if there are other places. Libraries are always the obvious one and people pretty much always flock there. Have studied before (years ago) in the NUIG library and didn't find it that great an environment at all. Maybe things are better now? Or maybe they just knew I wasn't meant to be there :p. My general experience of library atmospheres in Galway hasn't been particularly great. That actually was a large reason why I posted my question. Hotels and cafes do seem to be the better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Westside library can be very busy and loud with kids and general chat. Staff very good nevertheless and they have desks tucked away for study. Visited the city library recently, but not the reference room, and found it lacked fresh air and was stuffy. Would have got a headache if I had to stay there.

Advertisement