Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest bars for a pint/beer in the city?

• 20-06-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Following the recent closure of a popular bar on Eyre Street...
    Any recommendations on other low cost bar options anywhere in Galway City?

Not sure if UK pub chain JD Wetherspoon's have since opened any premises in the Galway region although; I see The Silver Penny is due to open this month on Lower Abbey Street in Dublin.

What Pubs/Bars in Galway City Centre would Galway punters currently recommend for a CHEAP Pint of Stout on draught, Pint of Lager on draught, Bottled Beers? Any suggestions and what are current prices being charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Fibber McGees is pretty cheap I'd imagine. Lot of students seem to drink in Paddy's on Eyre Sq too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Anima wrote: »
    Fibber McGees is pretty cheap I'd imagine. Lot of students seem to drink in Paddy's on Eyre Sq too.

I am not from Galway but I've often spent weekends/holiday time there and may visit next month.

What would you pay for a Pint of Lager on tap at Fibber McGees?
    Is it the same price anytime on any night of the week or only certain days when it is quiet?

Is "Paddy's" the name of a current Pub on Eyre Square? If so, which end or what is this pub closest to? Any idea of what they charge there?

14 Prospect Hill
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/iYSPuHxE1sdAirS39
    Location of Paddy's bar.
    By law pubs have to display their prices.
    Why not just check them out when in town next.

pg633 wrote: »
    14 Prospect Hill
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/iYSPuHxE1sdAirS39
    Location of Paddy's bar.
    By law pubs have to display their prices.
    Why not just check them out when in town next.

Ok thanks for sharing the details. I can visualise this particular bar now and I definitely recall seeing the front facade of this premises - Eyre Square was mentioned earlier which confused me as I wondered if it was a new pub altogether although; it's not far from Eyre Square to be fair. I appreciate that pubs by law are required to display their official price list. Some establishments can be a bit more transparent than others on where they choose to display the list in my experience down through the years. I must check out Paddy's next time I go to visit Galway as I don't think I've ever set foot inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

https://www.facebook.com/fibbermageesgalway/ You can see some promotions on their facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Beamish is 3.80 in PJs bar, Lower Salthill

I think 4.00 in Carrolls, Dominick street

The Thatch bar at Cooke's corner have three pints of stout for 10.30 I think, but only on Tue-Thur, three lager for 11.30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

With the fine weather due the cheapest bar will be fine wines along The Claddagh

Geuze wrote: »
    Beamish is 3.80 in PJs bar, Lower Salthill

I think 4.00 in Carrolls, Dominick street

The Thatch bar at Cooke's corner have three pints of stout for 10.30 I think, but only on Tue-Thur, three lager for 11.30.

I tend to mainly drink lager when I am out on the town which is not often these days unless I manage to get away on a short break/holiday although; it's been a while since I was last in Galway. I used sometimes head to Hole In The Wall which I understand closed last April. Any update on whether this venue will ever re-open again?

I'm also not bothered with consuming cheaper products such as Fosters, Tenants, Carling, Bavaria, Dutch Gold, Tuborg as I think prices charged for premium brands are quite expensive if you wanna have a few in most bars/clubs. However; not all pubs stock all these products and some may charge more than others for same product or can vary price depending on time of day/night product is bought.

With the fine weather due the cheapest bar will be fine wines along The Claddagh

I gather "Fine Wines" is an Off-Licence chain store and then it is either drinking at home or perhaps along the banks of the River Corrib which I know has been a custom especially during fine weather down near Spanish Arch. Of course this is the cheapest method alright to be fair :) I prefer the atmosphere of the different bars when I'm out on the town. I'd hate to see any more bars/pubs closing down although; the cost of a good night out is quite expensive in this country. If and when they bring in new alcohol laws on minimum unit pricing, the prices will increase further too.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Paddys is quite a rough pub. Fibbers not much better.PJs is also dingy.
    Rabbitte’s would be worth checking. O Connor’s in Salthill seem fairly reasonable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PJ's is also dingy.

In fairness they're repainted and cleaned up quite a lot in the last year or so. Still very much a local bar, but brighter than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Guinness is €4 in McSwiggans and its not a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

In fairness they're repainted and cleaned up quite a lot in the last year or so. Still very much a local bar, but brighter than it was.

It actually looks well from the outside true, inside still the same. Ok for watching sports i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Guinness is €4 in McSwiggans and its not a dump.

Was awfully disappointed in the quality of the Guinness there last year. It dipped quite a bit. Maybe because they raised the price and it's no longer as popular. For years, I reckoned they had the nicest pint of Guinness in the country. Far nicer than the Guinness Storehouse.

Paddys is quite a rough pub. Fibbers not much better.PJs is also dingy.
    Rabbitte’s would be worth checking. O Connor’s in Salthill seem fairly reasonable too.

I used go to Fibber's if I was on holidays or on a weekend visit to the City of the Tribes but I never felt that the regulars at Fibbers were friendly or willing to chat or exchange banter apart from the barmen so; I stopped dropping in. I recall Fibbers being a really busy spot during the Celtic Tiger boom years especially before the park in Eyre Square was re-opened after a long time being in limbo. Ground & 1st floors at Fibber's used be packed solid at weekends.

Like so many places around Ireland, the Galway pub/club scene has never really recovered for a whole variety of factors including but not limited to: smoking ban, lower wages, lack of certainty in the economy, stricter drink driving limits, high prices charged for drinks in pubs/clubs.

Such a shame to see what was once a thriving services sector is now only a shadow of it's former glory days with the Off-Licence trade benefiting instead. We have yet to see Minimum Pricing to be introduced on alcohol which will also hit the Pub/Club trade so yet another blow as prices will all have to be increased further across the board. Pubs that remain in business will largely be venues serving meals & teas/coffees for much of the day.

Smart/Android mobiles handsets & tablets have also made going out less enjoyable as more & more people seem interested in checking messages and browsing rather than interacting with the people all around them on a night out which does little to enhance the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We have yet to see Minimum Pricing to be introduced on alcohol which will also hit the Pub/Club trade so yet another blow as prices will all have to be increased further across the board. Pubs that remain in business will largely be venues serving meals & teas/coffees for much of the day.

No, MUP will only affect off-licence prices, as all pub prices are already well above the MUP.

FG want to introduce MUP to help pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It actually looks well from the outside true, inside still the same. Ok for watching sports i suppose.

I was visiting roughly weekly before, during and after the refurb. Inside is now a LOT nicer than it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement