Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips- when running first mile is a struggle

Options
  • 23-06-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

When running, first mile or so is a struggle, find it difficult, after that am fine, am up to 6 to 7 miles, any tips on how to make it less of a struggle, have done it at a slower pace but still the same
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cult1973 wrote: »
    When running, first mile or so is a struggle, find it difficult, after that am fine, am up to 6 to 7 miles, any tips on how to make it less of a struggle, have done it at a slower pace but still the same
    Thanks

After 15 years of running I still find that the first mile is usually the worst. My first mile is also usually my slowest mile.

Look at it as part of the warm-up, and since you know'll feel better after a few minutes all you need to do is ease into it and get it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Your body is only warming up. Even for the pros, they would say the first mile is the slowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hate my first mile, all those aches and pains :(

I think most people dislike their first mile or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I know loads of people don't listen to music while running, but in my very early days of running I used to put a long song on as the first one on my running mix (maybe 10 minutes long) and just tell myself that I'd run for that song anyway and then see how I felt. I always felt better by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thanks

Ease off the pace by 10-15%. Give your lungs a chance to get working

Make sure you are stretching properly before starting

Do a short 100-200m gentle jog before stretching to get yourself loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I HATE the first mile of most runs. Mainly because I do most of my running first thing in the morning. The mind is asleep (probably a good thing actually), everything creaks and I'm practically still in the fetal position which makes running harder.

I've taken to doing lunges or dynamic stretches for a minute or two but generally by mile 2 or 3 life is not so bad. Its also great to end a run feeling better than you started!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Always remember the first mile is a liar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Same as others said, 1st mile your body is still getting going.

I always just think back to playing rugby, and the first hard sprint I'd have to do would almost kill me, but then I'd keep doing it for 80 minutes no problem. It was called it breaking your first wind back then (it's probably not exactly a thing tho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Every mile of every run I have ever done is painful - literally the minute I start running I think of excuses to stop.

Any way around this or should I stick to sprints and weight training?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Keyzer wrote: »
    Every mile of every run I have ever done is painful - literally the minute I start running I think of excuses to stop.

Any way around this or should I stick to sprints and weight training?

How hard are you running?

One of the best lessons to learn is that easy running should be at least 50% of your miles (depending on your plan). This tends to make running more fun. The definition of easy is also pretty bloody slow!

If you are just starting, keep at it. It does get easier, esp when you start hitting new milestones and feeling that sense of achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A real decent solid warm up of the legs and muscles...

Like the pros..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thanks

Just to add

Change what you do pre run
    Hydration
    Food
    Warm up

Find what works etc

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Learn to write off the first mile. If you're doing a 5 miler then do an extra mile before you start and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Kmagic wrote: »
    Always remember the first mile is a liar!

In recent years I’ve been inclined to think the first mile is telling me the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Dynamic stretching.

Almost all of my running is early morn, straight out of bed and I rarely ever experience this.

Never leave the house though without a short routine of leg swings and lunge twists.

It's just warming up. Spend 3 mins in your kitchen doing it instead of a mile up the road.

Advertisement