Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vectrex....

Options
  • 21-06-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

So I got a chance to play the Vectrex at the weekend I was very impressed with it. I had never played one before, but I thought it would be just like a vector based console, but it really felt different to a console. It felt much more like an arcade machine, and I think it's because it has its own screen.
    What's the general consensus here about them ?
    I really liked it and would love to get one. I saw @BanjoGuyOllie got one for 150 on the marketplace, and it seemed like a steal. What do they usually go for in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Theyre absolutely fantastic but at some point will self destruct and break your heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

o1s1n wrote: »
    Theyre absolutely fantastic but at some point will self destruct and break your heart :(
    That sounds like the voice of experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

Amazing little things, to which the experience is unique. It can't be emulated and it can't be replicated (obviously it can be emulated, but you're losing the vector screen, which is the whole point). They're very much like miniature arcade vector cabs. However, they're bloody old now, and delicate.

Master of the Universe

deadl0ck wrote: »
    That sounds like the voice of experience

Yeah had one for a few years with a great multi cart and a load of original overlays.

Stored it away for a few months and when I took it back our again it was suffering from some sort of image collapse.

Hoped it was just some failing caps but unfortunately not.

I sill get tempted to pick up another one now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

When the screen goes, is that it, or are they repairable? Looked longingly at the Vectrex in the Argos catalogue, and it went on the Christmas list, but unsurprisingly Father Christmas missed it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mine is still going strong!
    Some caps were replaced here and there but otherwise still hale and hearty!
    Currently on a very nice SD based Vecmulti card and looking forward to an exellent Wipeout de-make for it called "Wireout"

Master of the Universe

When the screen goes, is that it, or are they repairable? Looked longingly at the Vectrex in the Argos catalogue, and it went on the Christmas list, but unsurprisingly Father Christmas missed it.

CRTs are extremely repairable and last yonks.

However there are a few core components that can go and won't be replaceable, especially something as unique as a tiny vector monitor from the early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

vector monitors are technically simpler than rgb raster monitors so I wouldn't worry too much. everything on a veccy is compact and can be sourced rather easily . the harder bit is finding one for south of 200 .
    I was lucky to get one from mozies for a generous board.ie price and ciderman sorted me with a multicart.

Original overlays can be tricky to source. they're not essential but greatly enhance the experience. You can easily redo some low budget ones with transparent paper and a standard inkjet printer though, combine it with a multicart and you're sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    vector monitors are technically simpler than rgb raster monitors so I wouldn't worry too much. everything on a veccy is compact and can be sourced rather easily . the harder bit is finding one for south of 200 .
    I was lucky to get one from mozies for a generous board.ie price and ciderman sorted me with a multicart.

Original overlays can be tricky to source. they're not essential but greatly enhance the experience. You can easily redo some low budget ones with transparent paper and a standard inkjet printer though, combine it with a multicart and you're sorted.

You reckon? How about something like the flyback? I'd have assumed that would be particularly unique to the unit itself. I wonder are there any compatible ones that can be used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Yeah I was mostly talking about the workings of the main chassis board since there's no scanning , h-blank, v-blank etc...

But the "flyback" or HV transformer ( there's no flyback section on a vector since the goal of a flyback is to regulate the current that makes the electron beams "fly" back to the left ) can be the hardest part to source when they fail.

But the same can be said about raster monitors too, flybacks are getting tougher to source for rasters too. Monitors like the a few Toei which you often find in taito cocktail tables have dedicated flybacks that aren't available anymore.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I actually bought a couple of NOS flybacks for my Toei chassis to have on standby for when they eventually do go. Should be okay for the foreseeable future! :)

Wonder how long the Vectrex ones will keep ticking along for? Managed to find an interesting guide with pictures where a guy fixed one;

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283550-vectrex-flyback-transformer-repair-new-primary-winding/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ye should really check 'Arcade Jason's' youtube channel for some cool Vectrex/vector stuff.
    Recently use an old Mac classic monitor as a vector display :)

Also Fred Kono's work, he's build a replacement Vectrex mainboard, deflection units and HV board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBX7X3_-6L8

Advertisement