Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best rated films

• 22-06-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I haven't heard of most of some so-called best-of rated films below. Some decent films were scattered between them. Can anyone recommend one of the following to use up two hours of precious life. TIA

Aberrant
    Nightshooters
    The First Date
    The Blood is at The Doorstep
    Iron Men
    Ruby Gentry
    The Newsman
    Sugarhouse
    Rock Steady Row
    Fade Away
    Your Name
    The Dawn Wall
    Mr Church
    Hackshaw Ridge
    The Captive Heart
    A Rising Star
    The Orchard End Murder
    Doubting Thomas
    The Oslo Diaries
    The Intouchables
    Baraka
    Champion
    The Prestige
    Porcine Tree
    The Southerner
    Parker's Anchor
    The Art of Flight
    Chasing Coral
    Cosy Dens
    The Savage Innocents
    Vazante
    Lion
    Fast Color
    Chicken
    Shot
    Wonder
    The Hate U Give
    A Plastic Ocean
    Late Autumn
    Edward II

(BTW these were films rated before others such as Shutter Island, The Shining, The Big Lebowski, Stand by Me, Once Upon a Time in America, North by Northwest etc.)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From a quick glance that seems to be a mix of tiny films that probably only have votes from those somehow linked to the productions; a few sleeper hits / audience favourites (e.g. The Prestige, Intouchables); a couple of niche documentaries; and a few underappreciated classics.

I could unambiguously recommend Late Autumn, a late career classic from the great Yasujiro Ozu. Your Name is a delightful, phenomenally successful animated fantasy romance anime from Japan. Baraka is a visually stunning, non-narrative documentary which is particularly worth a watch if it ever pops up in a cinema again. There's a few there (The Savage Innocents, The Hate U Give, The Dawn Wall, Fast Color) which I haven't seen but have heard good things about.

Also a few films I'd personally not recommend - Hawksaw Ridge is a cloying, OTT and preachy war drama from Mel Gibson, while The Intouchables is an unpleasant, clichéd and defiantly unfunny French comedy-drama. But those films have many fans as well, so that's just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Hacksaw Ridge is dire. So many people thought it was great I actually laughed at certain scenes. Never thought Casper the ghost would be cast in a war movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

So far I'm tempted to watch The Prestige. Although for some reason I wasn't too impressed by the the actors who attempted to advertise it a few years ago. 76% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes sounds okay and "in 2009, The A.V. Club included The Prestige in their best films of the decade list." Deffo worth a watch. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

Logo wrote: »
    So far I'm tempted to watch The Prestige. Although for some reason I wasn't too impressed by the the actors who attempted to advertise it a few years ago. 76% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes sounds okay and "in 2009, The A.V. Club included The Prestige in their best films of the decade list." Deffo worth a watch. Thanks

Definitely recommend watching the prestige. It's a great fIlm. Surprised at that rt rating actually. Thought it would be higher. Note the audience score is 92%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hacksaw Ridge is not bad to be fair, but it most definitely does not belong on any 'best' lists no matter what the criteria. I was surprised by the overwhelming reaction to it, it's closer to Windtalkers than Saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Here's the imdb rating list:
    https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?groups=top_250&sort=user_rating,desc

Here's the rottentomatoes rating list:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/

Have a look, see if anything matches your list or catches your eye.

pop into the wiki or imdb page and check the short description (remember the plot section might give away the whole story)

see if it matches up with what you're in the mood for and lash on..

I suppose .. remember that if you prefer more specific types of film.. like english language only, or white dudes only etc.. to keep that in mind when looking at the imdb / wiki pages..
    Obviously you'll be limiting your choices and possilbly missing out on some excellent films if you do that.

evilcloud wrote: »
    Definitely recommend watching the prestige. It's a great fIlm. Surprised at that rt rating actually. Thought it would be higher. Note the audience score is 92%

Hacksaw Ridge on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 86%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hacksaw Ridge is not bad to be fair, but it most definitely does not belong on any 'best' lists no matter what the criteria. I was surprised by the overwhelming reaction to it, it's closer to Windtalkers than Saving Private Ryan in my opinion.

Give me Heartbreak Ridge over that muck any day.

Will check them out - thanks for the replies.

Haven't seen a decent film for a while. Toss-up between Baby Driver, Passengers and Get Out. Recommendations welcome. TIA
    Update: Decided to watch Gladiator (it's sitting under the telly far too long).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

I wasn't a fan of Hacksaw Ridge. Too sentimental from what I remember (it's been a while since I've seen it)

Logo wrote: »
    Haven't seen a decent film for a while. Toss-up between Baby Driver, Passengers and Get Out. Recommendations welcome. TIA
    Update: Decided to watch Gladiator (it's sitting under the telly far too long).

Baby Driver annoyed me. One long sketchy spotify playlist shoved in your face.

Get out was ok but a bit too hyped because of the race card.

I actually kind of liked passengers - it's not amazing but I did think that the 2 leads (the only leads lol) worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Odd list for me !
    Would recommend only three:
    The Prestige
    The Untouchables (1987)
    Lion

Advertisement