Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ramen restaurant Waterford

• 20-05-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried Ramen in Waterford?

Went there on Sunday, tried to go on Sat but it was rammed and was told 45mins for takeaway so I thought id leave it to another day and ate in on Sunday.

The food: When I saw "Asian Fusion" under the name I was slightly dubious. Then looking at the menu there is absolutely 0 Ramen dishes on the menu. Its just the name of the restaurant and there no Ramen dishes or Japanese items. There are also chips which I never think is a good sign for an authentic asian restaurant.

We tried a Pad thai which id give about a 6/10 it was grand but certainly not one of the better I've had doesnt come with any lime or garnishes to add yourself.

Also had a spicy wok (hottest on menu) with prawns. This was nice and suitably spicy it probably give this a 7/10 it came with Basmati rice which doesnt really suit Asian as well as Indian , but the problem was the rice was pre made a few hours ago. Basmati being thin grain drys out quickly and the rice was dry and was obviously prepped and allowed to dry hours in advance, boarding on inedible. Rice 2/10.

You are given complementary ice cream cones which you fill up yourself with ice cream from a 99 style dispenser. The ice cream is lovely and of a higher quality than many dispensed icecreams 8/10

Overall probably a 7/10. Pricing is decent, its clean and bright, decor is nice, good to have more food options in Waterford , there are some healthy options available which is good. I probably will be back at some point as it does use fresh ingredients. But extremely disappointing a restaurant called "Ramen" not serving Ramen.

Have you tried it? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I've eaten in a Ramen in another location. It's grand if you get the €6 daily special. I think Kyoto is nicer. Its stupid that they don't actually serve ramen, I love the ramen in Kyoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Tried it. It’s one of those places that offers an average version of what the dish is supposed to be but will absolutely clean up. Second the opinion that Kyoto is better and they actually sell Ramen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can't beat Kyoto, it's consistantly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried Ramen in Waterford?

Went there on Sunday, tried to go on Sat but it was rammed and was told 45mins for takeaway so I thought id leave it to another day and ate in on Sunday.

That's 'cause when the place is already full, they keep Ramen people in.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went passed yesterday - it's strange the lower half is being left as a scrubby brown field site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Went passed yesterday - it's strange the lower half is being left as a scrubby brown field site

There's a unit and more car spaces going there. Guess the developer is doing it in 2 phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

Just a correction I don't think there is anymore parking just another building. Drawings attached.

Parking is a bit of a disaster there at the moment especially as the access is from the Tramore road side. I can only see that getting busier/worse as the new unit gets tennants.

However when Leo Hartes was there it was a bit dangerous with people using the garage forcourt as a shortcut so probably best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Went in there last week for lunch and was not impressed.

The food did not seem to be very authentic and it was pricey enough for what you got!

For this type of food Kyoto is much better and basically the same price.

I wont be going back to Ramen but in saying that it is good to see new food places opening I just wish this one was much better....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Way too noisy for my liking, unfortunately couldn't stick around to try the food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Kyoto is just so far ahead in terms of quality and choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Heres my experience with ramen as a takeaway

My first order, one of the dishes was wrong and a portion of rice was missing. I complained and got a free meal.

2 days later, I ordered the same dish again, this time they phoned up saying they didn't have it. So the first time they just changed my dish without even asking since they didn't have the ingredients. I ended up getting the same dish as the one they decided to give me, this time the sauce was completely different and borderline inedible due to the high amount of spice (it has 0 chillies on their menu, that was the reason I chose it but it was spicier than the green curry which was also ordered and had 2 chillies) The rice was dry and hard, worst rice I've ever gotten from a takeaway in Waterford. It was fine in the first order though.

Overall spent 70 euro and didn't really like it. I'd like to see them actually have ingredients for their dishes and some consistency. I don't understand how the same dish can be so different 2 days later. Stale rice is inexcusable as well.

Coconut was the best of this type of restaurant, shame they closed down. Its called TJ Thai Street Food now but food is completely different. I find Kyoto is overpriced for the portion sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

spix wrote: »
    I find Kyoto is overpriced for the portion sizes.

Disagree there. I sometimes wish that Kyoto would offer half the portion at times - I get so much in one dish. Maybe it depends on what you order I guess. The food is great in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Stale rice is inexcusable as well.

Yeah its pretty worrying when an Asian restaurant can't prepare rice!

Interesting you had the same issue with the rice as myself. Sounds like they need invest in some rice cookers.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Disagree there. I sometimes wish that Kyoto would offer half the portion at times - I get so much in one dish. Maybe it depends on what you order I guess. The food is great in there.

I don't think I've ever left Kyoto hungry and I've a massive appetite when it comes to Asian food!

Their sushi is in line with other prices I've found in Ireland and their Bento box for lunch for €9.50 is great value.

I think I should start asking them for commission I recommend them so much but words can't describe how much I'd miss the only place in Waterford that sells decent sushi!

So everyone go to Kyoto

lassykk wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever left Kyoto hungry and I've a massive appetite when it comes to Asian food!

Their sushi is in line with other prices I've found in Ireland and their Bento box for lunch for €9.50 is great value.

I think I should start asking them for commission I recommend them so much but words can't describe how much I'd miss the only place in Waterford that sells decent sushi!

So everyone go to Kyoto

I can't speak for their sit in portions, but takeaway is smaller than average. Normally we can share dishes from other places that are similar prices or even cheaper, or there's left overs. With Kyoto the portion sizes are strictly for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

lassykk wrote: »
    their Bento box for lunch for €9.50 is great value.

So everyone go to Kyoto

What's in a Bento box?

mojor wrote: »
    What's in a Bento box?

Its different every day

1/2 a starter, 1/2 a main course, 2 pieces of sushi, rice + miso soup (thats for dinner price) Could be smaller sizes for the cheaper lunch.

spix wrote: »
    Its different every day

1/2 a starter, 1/2 a main course, 2 pieces of sushi, rice + miso soup (thats for dinner price) Could be smaller sizes for the cheaper lunch.

It's the same at lunch time

I've never had takeaway from there but I find in general Asian takeaway portions are too big. Don't get me wrong I finish them but they are on the large side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Have ye tried Bell Pepper for the asian street food?

Its open almost two years, seems not many people have actually visited

They do a very good fresh massaman, rayong, green curries etc.

And have €6/€7 lunch deals aswell.

Highly recommend them. Have yet to try Ramen, seeing mixed reviews.

Just seems to be a bandwagon, a trend and everyone on Instagram just going there for the bloody ice cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just seems to be a bandwagon, a trend and everyone on Instagram just going there for the bloody ice cream!

Ice cream rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

and everyone on Instagram just going there for the bloody ice cream!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I love ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Have ye tried Bell Pepper for the asian street food?

Its open almost two years, seems not many people have actually visited

They do a very good fresh massaman, rayong, green curries etc.

And have €6/€7 lunch deals aswell.

Highly recommend them. Have yet to try Ramen, seeing mixed reviews.

Been into bell pepper a few times, lovely, reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ramen are definitely doing something right anyway, the place was packed out yesterday. Ill have to try it out soon. There is obviously a big market for Asian food in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Ramen are definitely doing something right anyway, the place was packed out yesterday. Ill have to try it out soon. There is obviously a big market for Asian food in Waterford.

Its packed everyday,i said on another thread that it was in a great location and would do very well there,when another person said it was a bad location with no bars nearby and wont do well,i really hope no one ever asks that person for advice when setting up a business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Had food here on Saturday it was absolutely divine we were so stuffed i could barely move afterwards! Staff are lovely too plus we got our food straight away no messing. Would recommend it and ill definitely be back.

Advertisement