Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic hotel

• 21-06-2019 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hey folks

at the end of September I'm looking to take the missus down to Galway for one and night (we are heading else where the next day ) , I wondering what do you think is the nicest hotel to stay in ?

Its a special occasion so I don't mind pushing the boat out money wise,

What would be your choice ,

The G, the Meyrick, Gleno Abbey or another even if there is somewhere fancy out Connemara way ?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

This is in Barna and looks so nice https://www.thetwelvehotel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭xalot

I love the Meyrick for location if you dont want to be staying in the hotel the whole tie and just old school charm.

Glenlo Abbey is more isolated and I wasn't that pushed about the Pullman Restaurant. I also didn't find customer service great but the rooms are lovely though and breakfast was divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ballynahinch Castle (in Connemara) is beautiful. Stunning location and top drawer service and food.

• Having stayed there, the G is hard to beat if you are looking for a romantic break.

The food in the restaurant is unreal, the rooms are class and the staff are unbelievably attentive. I honestly believe they are the 5th star for that place.

If you really want to make it a stay to remember, book the 2 of you into the thermal suite for an hour followed by a massage each.

It'll cost you, but she'll talk about it for years... You both will

On a side note, don't forget to try the cocktails, they are pricy, but in for a penny......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Do you want to be in the city or not? (I know you said would be willing to go out connemara way).

You have places like Zetland house and Cashel House; both nice old country houses. Not romantic as such but extremely relaxed, overlooking a bay, plenty of walks & peacefulness.

• Advertisement

• Having stayed there, the G is hard to beat if you are looking for a romantic break.

The food in the restaurant is unreal, the rooms are class and the staff are unbelievably attentive. I honestly believe they are the 5th star for that place.

If you really want to make it a stay to remember, book the 2 of you into the thermal suite for an hour followed by a massage each.

On a side note, don't forget to try the cocktails, they are pricy, but in for a penny......

I'd like to give an alternate opinion on the G.
    My wife and I got a voucher to stay in the G when we got engaged.
    Everything about the place was nice/fine - nothing more.
    Would not rush back there, or recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic break away.

Dinner was nice
    Room was decent
    Staff, no problems with them.
    Location, terrible

Nothing about the stay stood out for either of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Can't say I've ever stayed in the G but I'd say it would divide opinion.

Some people might love it but for me it doesn't look great.

Lough Atalia is hardly what I'd call a scenic view and the mix of pink and black décor seems f***ing depressing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

I'd like to give an alternate opinion on the G.
    My wife and I got a voucher to stay in the G when we got engaged.
    Everything about the place was nice/fine - nothing more.
    Would not rush back there, or recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic break away.

Dinner was nice
    Room was decent
    Staff, no problems with them.
    Location, terrible

Nothing about the stay stood out for either of us.

Felt the same really. It bugged me that they charged extra for the thermal suite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Having stayed there, the G is hard to beat if you are looking for a romantic break.

You're still in an industrial estate setting on a main road, next to a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'd hardly call G a terrible location, I'd reserve that for the Clayton which I don't understand location-wise other than 1 week a year for the races.

I used to live in Wellpark and loved what a short stroll to town it was.

OP didn't mention city centre being a priority and mentioned Glenlo Abbey which would be my preference. If you haven't been everyone should have the Pullman on their restaurant bucket list. I loved hanging out in the bar and lounge afterwards. Really made the night feel a bit class and special. It's from one end of the spectrum to the other but only OP knows what best for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Luciana Flabby Topic

Another vote for Ballynahinch Castle. The location is breathtaking and the hotel is fabulous. You would have a very romantic break there cocooned away from the real world. The G is okay but you have a very busy main road in front and a retail park behind.

The Lodge at Ashford Castle might be worth a look but you'd need to find out if there's a wedding on during your stay as in that case the guests can take up all the public spaces. Makes it very difficult to find a place to sit for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

An alternative along those lines: https://www.clooncastle.com/accommodation/

Drove by after the paint disposal day and it was an unexpected gem in the middle of nowhere. Looked as if they were hosting a wedding and thought it would be a great spot for a mid-sized venue for something different. Anyhow, looked them up and they are a B&B + restaurant too.

Advertisement