Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK taxi with plates up in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I was stuck in traffic today in Cork, and a taxi in the next lane had a weird looking plate on roof, when it took off I realised it was a UK reg'd taxi (Birmingham according to a quick google check). I would have assumed there'd be some sort of law around displaying a taxi plate from a foreign country in Ireland - is there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey,

I was stuck in traffic today in Cork, and a taxi in the next lane had a weird looking plate on roof, when it took off I realised it was a UK reg'd taxi (Birmingham according to a quick google check). I would have assumed there'd be some sort of law around displaying a taxi plate from a foreign country in Ireland - is there?

Not sure, but there have been anecdotal reports of Irish taxis being told to cover the word taxi on the doors over, when in the UK.
    You will also sometimes see taxis from the north around Dublin airport but as long as they are dropping off no one seems concerned, but I'd expect a different reaction if they were picking someone up.

Advertisement