Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for multi-million euro redevelopment of Galway Racecourse

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Does it need it ?? Lots of money invested in recent years yet numbers attending not going up. I guess venue hire adds income streams.
    Would make a great venue for adding other sports facilities /indoor arena to the racecourse given land available, parking,access etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

youngrun wrote: »
    Does it need it ?? Lots of money invested in recent years yet numbers attending not going up. I guess venue hire adds income streams.
    Would make a great venue for adding other sports facilities /indoor arena to the racecourse given land available, parking,access etc

I think some of those changes have to be done if the bypass is to proceed through that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think the there is a new stand due to open for this years festival also.

I always thought that the attendances were increasing to be honest - and perhaps with greater facilities and seating areas coupled with the revival of the Celtic Tiger Boom, that it will also increase footfall for the races.

https://www.irishracing.com/news?headline=Attendance-and-betting-both-down-at-Galway-this-week&prid=193180

There was over 217,000 there in the boom ( 07 )

And even as recently as 2010 and 11 there were over 175,000 in attendance

Huge drops which affects the city and economy, certainly it is one of the easier weeks to get around travel wise, no traffic, and imho has lost a lot of the local crowd

Investment probably essential or it will keep falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seems a lot of hassle for a facility that gets used only 2-4 weeks a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Seems a lot of hassle for a facility that gets used only 2-4 weeks a year.

Thee race meetings.
    Two lots of student exams.
    Elftown (or whatever the Christmas fair there is called this year).
    Various conferences eg MedTech was there last year.
    A festival or two eg https://www.exhibitionsireland.ie/galway-home-garden-festival-irish-country-lifestyle-festival/

And likely lots more that the general public doesn't even hear about.

That's a lot more than 2-4 weeks/year.

Thee race meetings.
    Two lots of student exams.
    Elftown (or whatever the Christmas fair there is called this year).
    Various conferences eg MedTech was there last year.
    A festival or two eg https://www.exhibitionsireland.ie/galway-home-garden-festival-irish-country-lifestyle-festival/

And likely lots more that the general public doesn't even hear about.

That's a lot more than 2-4 weeks/year.

Agree its more like a venue /conference facility now

Any business that sees numbers drop 40 % at its main event from 220k to 130k in 10 years needs to change . The new development may bring in more corporates/groups business at race meets to offset the actual decline in numbers but the prospect of holding more and more non racing events is also likely a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Anthony Ryan had a 4 day sale there last month in one of the stands,good crowds attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think the there is a new stand due to open for this years festival also.

I always thought that the attendances were increasing to be honest - and perhaps with greater facilities and seating areas coupled with the revival of the Celtic Tiger Boom, that it will also increase footfall for the races.

I don't think there is a new stand, there was one opened for last years races although.

etxp wrote: »
    I don't think there is a new stand, there was one opened for last years races although.

Ah,that's probably it so.

I dunno why, but I thought it was only opening this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

Great place for an ice rink from November to February. Galway needs a full-time rink. People will come if we had one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Why on earth isn't there more regular race meetings here at a course that's fairly big?

Instead of just around 12 days a year?

Waste of time developing it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Why on earth isn't there more regular race meetings here at a course that's fairly big?

Instead of just around 12 days a year?

Waste of time developing it
    Not waste at all if it increases revenue.
    Most tracks have around that amount of race meetings. Not sure if there is need for any more than there is

Not waste at all if it increases revenue.
    Most tracks have around that amount of race meetings. Not sure if there is need for any more than there is

Not true at all. Ballinrobe have a lot of meetings for such a small track. Roscommon have regular meetings too.

Galway is probably one of the only tracks in the country that have just a few days per year of racing

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Not true at all. Ballinrobe have a lot of meetings for such a small track. Roscommon have regular meetings too.

Galway is probably one of the only tracks in the country that have just a few days per year of racing
    And the attendances are.
    Galway doesnt need or want any more. HRI dont have more than 2 courses with meetings on same day and you have to see when they could host meetings that would attract crowds.
    Ballinrobe has 10 days racing but all spread out as does Roscommon.

• Ballinrobe have ten days racing this year.
    https://ballinroberacecourse.ie/fixtures-2016/
    Galway will have 13 days.
    I imagine there are lots of variables, the cost of opening up, how many locals will attend, the racing calender to find free slots, how many trainers or riders would attend.

Limerick will have 12, the curragh 18.

• As a massive Galway races fan I welcome any development and I’d personally love to see a spring meeting at the course as it’s a long time from oct to end of July without any racing there.. It really is a fantastic facility it’s only when you attended other racecourses (even the top venues) you realise how good Galway racecourse is.

I think the big issue is finding a suitable time for another meeting in spring as race fixtures have generally been the same for many years all leading up to cheltheham and adding a new event prior to that could be tricky. Roll on the summer festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd imagine even with the massive decline in attendance, it's probably still generating a lot for the city so is ripe for further development. It would be good if they found more uses for it throughout the year. Car shows, large retail sales and exams are ok. I haven't heard of too many large conferences being held out there. Seems a tough place for a conference, at least one trying to attract overseas visitors.

A couple of years ago, there was a Jobs Expo on there. There is also the outdoor cinema event that took place a couple months ago.

I wonder if Fever Pitch will consider moving the festival to the site? or would that be feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

FitzShane wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, there was a Jobs Expo on there. There is also the outdoor cinema event that took place a couple months ago.

I wonder if Fever Pitch will consider moving the festival to the site? or would that be feasible?

Oxegen used to be at the Curragh so I don't see why not.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Oxegen used to be at the Curragh so I don't see why not.
    Punchestown not Curragh but cant see overnight festival working in track much closer to a town/city like Galway is
    An all day festival like forbidden fruit/longitude yes but not a camping festival

Punchestown not Curragh but cant see overnight festival working in track much closer to a town/city like Galway is
    An all day festival like forbidden fruit/longitude yes but not a camping festival

But Fever Pitch is not a camping festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Great to see the Galway races supporting local businesses by holding their launch in Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I can't see why we don't have a major concert there each year. It's a huge open space that you could have a Slane like gig but without the nightmare transport problems of Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I can't see why we don't have a major concert there each year. It's a huge open space that you could have a Slane like gig but without the nightmare transport problems of Slane.
    I'm sure we'd be well able to rival Slane for nightmare transport problems.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I'm sure we'd be well able to rival Slane for nightmare transport problems.

Race week is best week of the year for driving around city, traffic well managed, loads of full buses and the racecourse has all entrances open tunnel, Tuam road side etc. A big concert or fair set up would be great and could be worked well/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine even with the massive decline in attendance, it's probably still generating a lot for the city so is ripe for further development. It would be good if they found more uses for it throughout the year. Car shows, large retail sales and exams are ok. I haven't heard of too many large conferences being held out there. Seems a tough place for a conference, at least one trying to attract overseas visitors.

Came back to find this after working in the city this week. I have to say, not having been here for the last 10 or so festivals, the difference in the size of the crowd in the city was staggering compared to my last one in 2011.

I'm assuming the Galway Race Committee is all privately funded? It's bank rolling itself and public money won't be used for this? Because if public money is to be used, I now change my opinion. I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

I'd love to hear from people who own businesses in the city and how it affects sales. I know when working during the boom years out on the Headford Rd, sales actually went down significantly that week since the crowd wasn't concentrated out there but the city was generally pretty busy before the race meetings and very busy after. To the point, you wouldn't be able to move once you'd get down as far as Eason's.

If there's price gouging for the week and that keeps tourists away who would spend money in the city but don't because of the cost of hotel rooms, it may even become counter productive.

Also, was it just me who thought this but it seemed there was a larger crowd in the city on Friday than on Thursday? Friday is typically the locals night. Maybe the number of those traveling in for it has fallen overall. Maybe the decline is caused more by the price gouging and a younger crowd who are less willing to be taken advantage of in previous years.

Apparently, on Lady's Day. The attendance was down close to 50% compared to 2006 and back then there 600 Helicopter movements (the max allowed in the airspace). Mad how much it has changed.

There's no doubt about it yesterday and last night was busier than any other day this week

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Apparently, on Lady's Day. The attendance was down close to 50% compared to 2006 and back then there 600 Helicopter movements (the max allowed in the airspace). Mad how much it has changed.
    2006 was as the height of Bertie's Bubble, people had tonnes of money to throw away.
    I was on Shop Street last night at midnight and it was the usual Races mayhem.

• Advertisement

• Wompa1 wrote: »
    Came back to find this after working in the city this week. I have to say, not having been here for the last 10 or so festivals, the difference in the size of the crowd in the city was staggering compared to my last one in 2011.

I'm assuming the Galway Race Committee is all privately funded? It's bank rolling itself and public money won't be used for this? Because if public money is to be used, I now change my opinion. I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

I'd love to hear from people who own businesses in the city and how it affects sales. I know when working during the boom years out on the Headford Rd, sales actually went down significantly that week since the crowd wasn't concentrated out there but the city was generally pretty busy before the race meetings and very busy after. To the point, you wouldn't be able to move once you'd get down as far as Eason's.

If there's price gouging for the week and that keeps tourists away who would spend money in the city but don't because of the cost of hotel rooms, it may even become counter productive.

Also, was it just me who thought this but it seemed there was a larger crowd in the city on Friday than on Thursday? Friday is typically the locals night. Maybe the number of those traveling in for it has fallen overall. Maybe the decline is caused more by the price gouging and a younger crowd who are less willing to be taken advantage of in previous years.

There was 31000 people there on Friday though, how many events in the country have 31000 people? The 25000 or so there on ladies day and over 20000 there on Monday might be down on the boom but still serious serious numbers of people for an event and something to be proud of.

Pointless comparing to the boom, it’s a total outlier.

Advertisement