Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaked OPCW report(Engineering report)

• 20-06-2019 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Organization for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons is a UN agency that was charged with inspecting Douma after the alleged chemical attack in April of 2018. This incident was used as a pretext for western countries(UK US France) to attack Syria, and nearly caused a war between Russia and the US.

They suppressed their engineering report, which has since leaked, and looks be have been validated as real by the OPCW.
    Pursuant to its established policies and practices, the OPCW Technical Secretariat is conducting an internal investigation about the unauthorised release of the document in question.
    Damningly it reveals
    In summary, observations at the scene of the two locations, together with subsequent analysis suggest that there is a higher probability that both cylinders were manually placed at those two locations rather than being delivered from aircraft

The only mainstream coverage this story has received is from Peter Hitchens of the Mail Online and Robert Frisk of the independent.

Media Lens have been petitioning BBC for a reason they haven't been covering this story, and as of yet this is the only response from Lyse Doucet(BBC chief international correspondent)
    D74t0UDXoAAI8lO.jpg
    I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, so I welcome being proved wrong in anyway, but if I'm correct why is this not being reported?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kimsang wrote: »
    Organization for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons is a UN agency that was charged with inspecting Douma after the alleged chemical attack in April of 2018. This incident was used as a pretext for western countries(UK US France) to attack Syria, and nearly caused a war between Russia and the US.

They suppressed their engineering report, which has since leaked, and looks be have been validated as real by the OPCW.

Damningly it reveals

The only mainstream coverage this story has received is from Peter Hitchens of the Mail Online and Robert Frisk of the independent.

Media Lens have been petitioning BBC for a reason they haven't been covering this story, and as of yet this is the only response from Lyse Doucet(BBC chief international correspondent)
    D74t0UDXoAAI8lO.jpg
    I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories, so I welcome being proved wrong in anyway, but if I'm correct why is this not being reported?

You're fairly blatantly mis-representing what has happened there yourself.

They didn't "suppress their engineering report" - they suppressed the single engineering report which disagreed with the multiple engineering reports that supported their conclusions.

It's standard scientific practice to follow the overwhelming consensus - which is what they did. Proper scientific practice is not to ignore the consensus and hail

What wasn't right is that they failed to note in their report that a small minority of the engineers disagreed with the majority.
    This isn't the smoking gun that the putin-loving conspiracy theorists want to portray it as - they conclusions of the OPCW report are still based on the sizable majority opinion of their engineers, it's just that they failed to acknowledge that there was a minority who didn't agree.

From the Fisk article
    The OPCW might have saved itself much embarrassment – and ridicule by the Russians – if it had simply told the whole truth: that while a majority of its scientists came to the conclusion that the “gas” cylinders came through the roof (ie, from an aircraft), a minority report believed that they did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Thank you for your reply.

Although I must challenge this statement
    You're fairly blatantly mis-representing what has happened there yourself...they suppressed the single engineering report which disagreed with the multiple engineering reports

From what I can tell, there was only one engineering report, and only one engineer team. Other scientists disagreed with the engineering team, is my understanding. Could you please point me to where there are other engineering teams/and or reports?

From that same Frisk article;
    stating that the “engineering sub-team cannot be certain that the cylinders at either location arrived there as a result of being dropped from an aircraft”.
    And thus both the OPCW’s official report and the suppressed engineers’ assessment are very scientific documents
    that while a majority of its scientists came to the conclusion that the “gas” cylinders came through the roof (ie, from an aircraft), a minority report believed that they did not.
    is utterly trivial in comparison to the implications of the OPCW’s decision to suppress the report of its own engineers.

Also in the main report officially released by the OPCW there is no mention of another engineering team.

Just for some context, I am not a Putin lover. I am just vehemently anti-war. Again, if i'm right, and there was a single engineering team, and they were overruled by people with less expertise than themselves, why is this story not reported on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thank you for your reply.

Although I must challenge this statement

From what I can tell, there was only one engineering report, and only one engineer team. Other scientists disagreed with the engineering team, is my understanding. Could you please point me to where there are other engineering teams/and or reports?

From that same Frisk article;

Also in the main report officially released by the OPCW there is no mention of another engineering team.

Just for some context, I am not a Putin lover. I am just vehemently anti-war. Again, if i'm right, and there was a single engineering team, and they were overruled by people with less expertise than themselves, why is this story not reported on?

Actually only a single engineer put his name to the dissenting assessment - you have no evidence as to the expertise, or otherwise, of the majority who reached the conclusion that was ultimately reached.

Annex 12 of the report details that 3 different independent teams were asked to analyse the cylinder, and their results all supported the conclusions of the official report.
    The FFM requested three independent analyses from experts recognised by their respective institutions and the international community for their knowledge, skills, and experience.
    - The experts consulted came from three different countries and have expertise in engineering, ballistics, metallurgy, construction, and other relevant fields
    The independent analyses results were complementary and, as such, presented in the main body of the report.

All of which serves to prove Fisk's point. The failure by OPCW makes it far too easy for vested interests and conspiracy theorists to throw mud in order to minimise the actions of Assad.
    If they were open about any instances of dissenting opinion on any of the subjects covered in their report then it'd be far easier to address those concerns up front than to scramble retrospectively

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why is it that most people who are anti-war seem to just have a problem with the US and the West in general?

The activities of so many others are ignored and/or glossed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why is it that most people who are anti-war seem to just have a problem with the US and the West in general?

The activities of so many others are ignored and/or glossed over.

Well if it helps, I'm annoyed NATO haven't done more in Ukraine. Since they gave up their nukes and agreed to a defence pact. What message does this send to other nations that want to denuclearize.

I'm also upset at the militarization of the South China Sea.

Kashmir also looks like a highly unstable place, in fact this worries me the most, the rhetoric I see online between between these two nuclear nations is some of the worst I've ever seen.

Recent tensions in the Persian gulf are also worrying.

Yemen has been torn apart by war.

Libya/Venezuela are failing states, with Zimbabwe and South Africa to follow.

Poor North Koreans live like they are in 1984.

And poor Syria is a shadow of its former self.

The real crime here is people that are talking about Brexit too much :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

The real crime here is people that are talking about Brexit too much :rolleyes:

I know it may be sarcasm but I really think its such a true point.

Advertisement