Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2020 EV Scrappage scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where's all this electricity coming from? Were there detailed plans of how all the extra power is being generated, what carbon impact it will have and where the investment is coming from?

Quick back of envelope calculations on the amount of diesel and petrol used in Ireland every year and the amount of KW/h power required to replace it make unclear how it will be achieved in the time frame given.
    The renewables (wind) that are switched off at night due to low demand currently perhaps?

And it's kWh, not KW/h

• Registered Users Posts: 65,050 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Where's all this electricity coming from?

A lot more wind. A lot of solar PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

ELM327 wrote: »

And it's kWh, not KW/h

Derp.

unkel wrote: »
    Where's all this electricity coming from?

It a value for"a lot" I'm after. Where are they going to be sited? There's been huge level of objection to these farms at even low densities, I can't imagine how people will react when they figure out just how many windmills you will need to keep the nations EVs running. And then, only when it's windy enough?

Off shore most likely. People wouldn't be able to even see them from land. You need storage too for when it's not windy. Storage as in pumped water, batteries, interconnects with other countries, etc.

EVs are only the start. Use of fossil fuel will be slowly phased out entirely. As in heating houses, running factories, etc.

• Advertisement

Off shore most likely. People wouldn't be able to even see them from land. You need storage too for when it's not windy. Storage as in pumped water, batteries, interconnects with other countries, etc.

EVs are only the start. Use of fossil fuel will be slowly phased out entirely. As in heating houses, running factories, etc.

There are enormous obstacles to replacing fossil fuel sourced energy with renewables. Vague solutions like 'off-shore' and 'pumped water' are really not good enough when a deadline for outlawing ICE vehicles is already on the table. I dont think many people realise the scale of the issue: hense my question:

Is there a document that (even in outline) describes how the extra energy is going to be generated within the timeframe of the ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

http://smartgriddashboard.eirgrid.com/#roi

A lot lot more :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Why not create kinetic roads and ensure cars are adapted to benefit from the kinetic energy created, any surplus could go into the national grid.

Even if we did it for motorways a lot of EVs would be charged while travelling.

We are derailing the original thread... I'm open to a scrappage scheme in 2020 for EVs but it would need to really make the purchase affordable.

Why not create kinetic roads and ensure cars are adapted to benefit from the kinetic energy created, any surplus could go into the national grid.

Even if we did it for motorways a lot of EVs would be charged while travelling.

We are derailing the original thread... I'm open to a scrappage scheme in 2020 for EVs but it would need to really make the purchase affordable.

Are people really this dumb and unquestioning? Just throw a few quid at them and they will accept anything? There is unlikely *ever* to be a charging network of sufficient scale and capacity to serve an EV population at the level of car ownership we currently have. The only long term solution to this issue is the eventual banning of private car ownership for the masses. The discussion then, no doubt, will be the anger at how little the government gives you for scrapping your EV.

Currently 90% of our Energy is sourced from dead dinosaurs. In the last 20 years, the transition towards renewables has hardly made a dent in this. But somehow, in the next 20 that will miraculously turn around. At the moment, renewables are only capable of supplying 28% of our electricity needs - but electricity only meets 20% of our total energy needs!! ( Transport and heat are 66% of our energy needs, but renewables are barely 7% here) Our NDP for 2018- 2027 doesn't even hint at how will expand our electricity network to accommodate such a huge increase in demand - bar some vague idea of a multi-billion Euro extension cable plugged into the French grid. Anyone have any idea of how the French plan to generate our electricity?

Source

But, yeah, I take your point. How much will I get for scrapping my car?

At the moment, renewables are only capable of supplying 28% of our electricity needs

Incorrect. At the moment the maximum our grid can handle from renewables is 75% (this increases every year). Already our wind production can be much higher than this.

And Ireland has almost zero solar PV. To give you an idea what you can do with solar micro generation alone: I have a modest semi-d house. My attic is converted (3 velux windows) and I have solar thermal. With my PV panels on the roof that I have left, I already generate more electricity than I consume (apart from what my EV consumes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are enormous obstacles to replacing fossil fuel sourced energy with renewables. Vague solutions like 'off-shore' and 'pumped water' are really not good enough when a deadline for outlawing ICE vehicles is already on the table. I dont think many people realise the scale of the issue: hense my question:

Is there a document that (even in outline) describes how the extra energy is going to be generated within the timeframe of the ban?

The ban is really effective from 2045 via the NCT with new ICE cars banned from 2030. That is enough time for us to adjust. The average age of cars here is 8.2 years so it's not as if there will be a huge rush , even in the next five years. The energy conundrum includes a lot more renewables along with a push on domestic solar plus options to feed extra into the grid. The whole insulation/ heat pump plans, in theory, will reduce our domestic consumption but there are still many bits that need to be fleshed out. 10-11 years is probably enough for a good bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The last Government scrappage scheme was for 1.5k.
    Given that almost all 10 year old cars are worth more than that they will have to offer a higher incentive to attract the people who have the money to buy a new electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

elperello wrote: »
    The last Government scrappage scheme was for 1.5k.
    Given that almost all 10 year old cars are worth more than that they will have to offer a higher incentive to attract the people who have the money to buy a new electric.
    Increased choices from manufacturers will help a lot and I imagine they'll add their own inducements.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

In 2015 I think the government took €3.2bn in excise from diesel and petrol, how will that money be made up elsewhere

Incorrect. At the moment the maximum our grid can handle from renewables is 75% (this increases every year). Already our wind production can be much higher than this.

And Ireland has almost zero solar PV. To give you an idea what you can do with solar micro generation alone: I have a modest semi-d house. My attic is converted (3 velux windows) and I have solar thermal. With my PV panels on the roof that I have left, I already generate more electricity than I consume (apart from what my EV consumes)

Incorrect?

From the quoted SEAI document:
    Over 500 MW of wind generation was installed
    during the year. This saw wind generation account
    for 25.2% (normalised) of the electricity generated
    making it the second largest source of electricity
    generation after natural gas.

You can take up yuur spurious interpretation of figures with the SEAI. Even they recognise that saying wind can "potentially" generate 75% of our needs is puerile: You cannot have electricity one day and none the next.

But you have skillfully avoided addressing my main point; How do we go from renewables providing (28% of 20%) 6% of our current energy needs to supplying nearly all of them? In 20 years? You and I are lucky enough to have private property sufficient to generate some of our energy needs, but what about those who dont?

Do you honestly believe that private car ownership can continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should be some good in unwanted diesel and petrol cars over the next few years so as the sheep panic to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

is_that_so wrote: »
    The average age of cars here is 8.2 years

I've been wondering about this. Where did you get this number? I'm really wondering the median end-of-life/scrappage age of cars here? Always assumed it was around 10-11yrs but it must be some years longer if the average is 8.2...

Incorrect?

That's average. There's no denying we need to increase our wind capacity in the near future. Currently the grid is also a limiting factor

See my calculation in the other thread. One wind farm with 400-500 large wind generators off the west coast would generate the same yearly electricity Ireland currently consumes.

. One wind farm with 400-500 large wind generators off the west coast would generate the same yearly electricity Ireland currently consumes.

Off shore wind generation isnt exactly a new idea, so why arent we doing this now? I dont see any money allocated to off-shore wind generation (its not even mentioned) in the 2018-2027 National Strategy - considering the vast expense required ( its obvious stumbling block to date) you would have thought it was worth a mention in a document created only last year?

Maybe you are still speaking in hypotheticals? Which is fair enough because thats about as realistic as it will get. The logistic problems in managing off-shore farms on such a massive scale will ensure that they will never be a realistic solution to our energy needs.

Considering transport consumes 66% of our energy, dont you think a much more plausible solution would be to simply reduce "transport" to the bare essentials? Dont you believe that is where we are heading?

One farm with 4GW power. In the Atlantic, one of the windiest places (as in having constant wind) in the world. Is all Ireland needs. China added 30GW of wind power just last year. Even the USA already has 100GW in wind power. It will cost of course, billions. But not having to pay hundreds of millions every year in emissions fines alone is worth it.

• Advertisement

Even the USA already has 100GW in wind power. .

Of which how much is off-shore? I'll tell you: 30MW

Thats 0.003% of their wind-power is generated off-shore, but its going to be the norm over here? Within 20 years?

If the yanks struggle to raise the funding for off-shore, where do you think we will get it? And within what time frame? Bear in mind that the planning for a combined National Childrens Hospital started in 1998, and has already ballooned to 600% of original estimates, how do you reckon a challenging project like off-shore wind will fare?

Lets say it again: 6% of our energy is renewable electricity. And we need to go to 90% within 20 years to meet targets. It wont be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Should they not be putting charging points for electric cars in in in new developments around Ireland? Every new apartment block should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The ban is really effective from 2045 via the NCT with new ICE cars banned from 2030. That is enough time for us to adjust. The average age of cars here is 8.2 years so it's not as if there will be a huge rush , even in the next five years. The energy conundrum includes a lot more renewables along with a push on domestic solar plus options to feed extra into the grid. The whole insulation/ heat pump plans, in theory, will reduce our domestic consumption but there are still many bits that need to be fleshed out. 10-11 years is probably enough for a good bit of it.

However, on a rolling basis, cars aged 40 or more are exempt from NCT.
    And cars aged 30-40 get a 2 year NCT. So if you have a 38 year old car that you NCt on 31/12/2044 you get an NCT for 2 years and its then exempt

Therefore it is only really ICE cars from 2006 onwards that are impacted. And on a rolling basis other cars are added. EG my 2009 superb. Will be impacted by the ban, but 3 years later hits 40 years old and is NCT exempt and therefore road legal by default

The ban is really effective from 2045 via the NCT with new ICE cars banned from 2030. That is enough time for us to adjust.

Its not really a matter of adjusting. In everyday use there is little difference between EV and ICE. Apart from the charging, that is. And there lies the main issue.

There are approx 250,000 new registrations of vehicles/ (of all classes, including public transport) each year. Within 10 years, nearly all these will need to be BEV/PHEV. All these vehicles will need to draw their power from the electric grid. The present grid only has to supply 21% of our energy needs; Within 15 years it will need to supply up to 80%. Apart from the obvious infrastructural issues with charging points, access, etc, where do you see all this power coming from? How do you think we will support up to 200,000 new EV;s a year? Offering "scrappage" to people seems a short sighted strategy when nobody seems to be addressing the real issue: How are we going to power *all* these vehicles.

I've read the Climate Action PLan and as a work of well meaning aspirations its a wonderful read, but as a practical roadmap for future solutions its a waste of time.

Like I said; 90% of our energy is fossil sourced, 6% from renewable electricity. How are we going to reverse that in such a short time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I agree in the long run having an EV does pay off. But what if you can’t meet the increased upfront cost in the immediate term?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭mondeo

If they put nuclear rods into cars they could run for 20 years without refueling, or even for the life of the vehicle. Little to no emissions either. There is the risk of radiation though if some garden mechanics dismantled the fuel cell hohoho. The whole city would have to be abandoned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Should they not be putting charging points for electric cars in in in new developments around Ireland? Every new apartment block should have them.

Its becoming part of the Planning and Building Regulation requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

They are currently giving PP for apartments with no parking spaces never mind charging points if they are near public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

kceire wrote: »
    Its becoming part of the Planning and Building Regulation requirements.

Interesting. Is there a deadline/date set for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Interesting. Is there a deadline/date set for this?

Not that i'm aware of just yet.
    Some LA's insist on a % of parking spots to be EV only with the remaining capable of been adapted to EV charging in the future.

Its been talked about at Planning workshops currently, but until it is in legislation, Developers wont put it in as its an additional cost.

The Part L Building Regulations are being reviewed this year so hopefully that may mention it also.

Advertisement