Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

KBurke85 wrote: »
    European draw is Wednesday

Anyone any ideas on how the pots look?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Saracens, Leinster Rugby and Toulouse will each be guaranteed a top ranking in Tier 1 when the pool draw for the Heineken Champions Cup takes place in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Wednesday.

The trio receive a No.1 seeding on account of their domestic success, Saracens in the Gallagher Premiership, Leinster in the Guinness PRO14 and Toulouse in Saturday’s TOP 14 final.

The draw for the Heineken Champions Cup at the Centre de Congrès Beaulieu takes place immediately after that for next season’s Challenge Cup pools, which begins at 1.00pm (UK and Irish time).

Both draws will be streamed live on www.epcrugby.com, official tournament Facebook channels and BT Sport, with live broadcasts also on Virgin Media Sport and beIN SPORTS.

The event compères will be Sarra Elgan (BT Sport) and Matthieu Lartot (France Télévisions), with Bryan Habana (Channel 4) and Dimitri Yachvili (beIN SPORTS) conducting the draws.

Twenty clubs from Gallagher Premiership Rugby, the Guinness PRO14 and the TOP 14 have qualified on merit for the 2019/20 Heineken Champions Cup.

The clubs will be divided into four tiers of five and a preliminary draw will be conducted to establish Tier 1, with two of the three second-ranked clubs – Exeter Chiefs, Glasgow Warriors and ASM Clermont Auvergne – joining 2019 Heineken Champions Cup winners Saracens, Leinster and Toulouse in the top tier.

Once Tier 1 has been established, the remaining three tiers will fall into place. Tier 2 will include the three third-ranked clubs from the leagues – Gloucester Rugby, Munster Rugby and Lyon – as well as the second-ranked club which was not drawn into Tier 1 and the fourth-ranked club from the same league as the club which was not drawn into Tier 1.

Tier 3 will include the two clubs ranked fourth which are not in Tier 2 as well as the three fifth-ranked clubs from each league – Harlequins, Connacht Rugby and Racing 92.

Tier 4 is complete and contains the sixth-ranked clubs from each league – Bath Rugby, Benetton Rugby and Montpellier – as well as Sale Sharks and the Ospreys.

When the tiers are completed, the main draw for the five pools will be made and during the draw some clubs may have to be placed directly into a pool in order to ensure that the key principles apply.

Click HERE for a detailed explanation of the Heineken Champions Cup pool draw.

EPCR weekends – 2019/20 season
    Round 1: 15/16/17 November 2019
    Round 2: 22/23/24 November 2019
    Round 3: 6/7/8 December 2019
    Round 4: 13/14/15 December 2019
    Round 5: 10/11/12 January 2020
    Round 6: 17/18/19 January 2020
    Quarter-finals: 3/4/5 April 2020
    Semi-finals: 1/2/3 May 2020

2020 finals – Stade de Marseille
    Heineken Champions Cup final: Saturday 23 May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is Hackshaw in the academy or sub academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is Hackshaw in the academy or sub academy?

Was promoted early from sub earlier in the season before he got injured afaik.

Having said that I don't know if that means he would be starting year 1 or 2 this August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

salmocab wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on how the pots look?

Clear glass, like a goldfish bowl. But that's not important right now.

• Advertisement

Clear glass, like a goldfish bowl. But that's not important right now.

Cheers. I deserved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Champions Cup Draw

Pool 1
    Leinster
    Lyon
    Northampton
    Benetton

Fairly brilliant draw for Leinster. No reason not to qualify as top seeds from the group into the knockout stages with that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Champions Cup Draw

Pool 1
    Leinster
    Lyon
    Northampton
    Benetton

6 from 6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Given that Leinster could only have pulled Lyon, Clermont or Gloucester out of Pool 2 and only one of Racing 92, Northampton or La Rochelle in Pot 3, that is a dream draw to get Lyon and Northampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

We should really be home quarter, home semi, final with that pool.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah. We really should be finishing that as top seeds for the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We were long overdue a nicer group. We've had pretty tough draws the last number of seasons.

We've miraculously always managed to avoid Italian opposition in our pools for years and years. When we finally draw them it seems they're now a competitive team!

Would much rather our group than any other one mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

We've miraculously always managed to avoid Italian opposition in our pools for years and years. When we finally draw them it seems they're now a competitive team!

04/05 the last time we got an Italian team in the pool?

It is nice to finally have an easy pool, but hopefully that doesn't breed any complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭PMC83

Would love to go to Lyon for the game, anyone been?

PMC83 wrote: »

Three years ago we stayed in Lyon while going to the Montpellier game away (as you do). Lovely city. At the time Lyon were paying in a temporary stadium and we went to their Challenge Cup game v Ospreys. Fans were boisterous as always. Keelan Giles scored a hat trick for the Ospreys and after the game we walked around the ground, some Lyon fans invited us into a portocabin bar kind of built into the stand. They had a chair in the middle of the room and they were serving **** beer in large styrofoam cups. If you got on the chair and sang a song you got a beer. I think I lead the room in Danny Boy, the Parting Glass, Molly Malone, The Fields, Ireland's call and pretty much anything else I knew one Chorus and the Melody of. Great Craic.

Beautiful City too. Bigger than I thought, but gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭PMC83

Nice, I've been to 6 nations in France but never a club game so really want to chalk it off. Atmosphere always looks good! Hopefully the announce the fixtures soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

PMC83 wrote: »

Went there for Clermont v Leinster in 2017 and thought it was a lovely city. Would definitely go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So would we expect the back to back to be v Saints?

That is a remarkably soft group.

Lyon the next best team but no European calibre. Benetton are much improved outfit but won't live with Leinster at this level. Northampton are not at the races, would need a significant improvement to be a threat.

I'm not sure we'll be quite the same team next year, we've lost depth through injury and lads moving on but this should still see is through to a semi-final which I expect to be at home.

No guarantee's from there however, Sarries could have a slow start after the World cup and we could end up with them visiting the Aviva.

Hope the double header is Lyon.

That is a remarkably soft group.

Lyon the next best team but no European calibre. Benetton are much improved outfit but won't live with Leinster at this level. Northampton are not at the races, would need a significant improvement to be a threat.

I'm not sure we'll be quite the same team next year, we've lost depth through injury and lads moving on but this should still see is through to a semi-final which I expect to be at home.

No guarantee's from there however, Sarries could have a slow start after the World cup and we could end up with them visiting the Aviva.

Hope the double header is Lyon.

Hopefully with the WC this group will allow us to build momentum as the season goes on. A couple of weeks after the WC is not when you want to me playing a top team this could this year more than any other year work to our advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Did Northampton not improve a bit towards the end of the season? Still expect to do the double over them mind

AdamD wrote: »
    Did Northampton not improve a bit towards the end of the season? Still expect to do the double over them mind

I think the coaching in the prem is miles behind what the provinces are doing. Sarries have a strong enough panel to brute force Irish teams but none of the rest do.

We obliterated them the last time they were in our pool. Didn't we break some kind of record that year courtesy of Saints?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

I think the coaching in the prem is miles behind what the provinces are doing. Sarries have a strong enough panel to brute force Irish teams but none of the rest do.

We obliterated them the last time they were in our pool. Didn't we break some kind of record that year courtesy of Saints?

Yeah, Super Rugby winning coach Chris Boyd is rubbish.

Som amount of inanity on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Sure ROG won a Super Rugby. Look at him now, rocking up at some second rate Seaside XV.

errlloyd wrote: »
    They had a chair in the middle of the room and they were serving **** beer in large styrofoam cups. If you got on the chair and sang a song you got a beer. I think I lead the room in Danny Boy, the Parting Glass, Molly Malone, The Fields, Ireland's call and pretty much anything else I knew one Chorus and the Melody of. Great Craic.

Beautiful City too. Bigger than I thought, but gorgeous.

I can just imagine Molloyjh on that chair belting out the indie piano jazz funk.

mark_way wrote: »
    Yeah, Super Rugby winning coach Chris Boyd is rubbish.

Som amount of inanity on here.

His team in the Prem finished 30 points behind Exeter Chiefs who couldn't make it into the final 8 in Europe.

In fairness, it's his first season - let's see if they improve next season.

But I stand by the assertion that most of the prem teams underperform given their talent and to me that's generally a coaching issue. Southern Hemisphere coaches don't always deliver in the North.

I can just imagine Molloyjh on that chair belting out the indie piano jazz funk.

I'm sure you haven't heard of these "guys", but the Serbian Barrista at my Indonesian Coffee place heard them play in an underground train station in Myamar just before Aung San Suu Kyi was released. He recored it on a childrens Fischer Price tape recorded, and I dunno if it's the hemp talking, but I think these guys could start a revolution.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Spelt Myanmar incorrectly...

Fail. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

That's how you spell it when you are part of the in-crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New season European and Alternative kit out 26/6.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement