Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi folks was only told about this yesterday so sorry for the late reply Brian

Yes I've race before: 5km is 22:10, 10km is 46:38
    Half is 1:44:27 all new pbs this year
    3 marathons done Dublin twice and Manchester quickest was 4:38 and other 2 where just under the 5hrs mark

Since November last year I've been training 4 days a week which I'm still doing between 25/ 35 miles a week depending on distances .

Hoping to go 4 hrs for this year DCM feel like I can went out last week and did 13 miles @ 8.40 per mile and felt very comfortable.

I'm going to go with the the boards 2019 plan.feel I can keep up with that

The biggest fear I have is I fall apart after 20 miles which has happen all 3 times. But this year feels different as have training plan I use to just go out the door and run which was the best approach.
    I'm running this to prove to myself I can go under the 4 hrs

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone

Well done on the consistent training. I'm just wondering what plan you are following that has you running 13 miles at faster than your target pace 19 weeks from DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If there is that much difference then your planned MP doesn't tally with your past race times. What time did you input to get your easy pace? Where is the 3:30 ish target coming from?

I entered my half marathon result from earlier this month - 1.42.10

Training Paces - https://i.imgur.com/3bGl4Gg.png

Predicted Time - https://i.imgur.com/jFm8fZY.png

tinman predicts a 3.32 marathon time. I would hope over 18 weeks with regular, consistent training to improve a small bit to make 3.30 a possible target but it's a dream finish time and not that important in the overall context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

DeepBlue wrote: »

tinman predicts a 3.32 marathon time. I would hope over 18 weeks with regular, consistent training to improve a small bit to make 3.30 a possible target but it's a dream finish time and not that important in the overall context.

Race time predictors assume equal training. They are not really reliable for first time marathons. Train to recent best race time, race again and change paces as required depending on the results. 3:30 off a 1:42 while not being impossible is very ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

jackc101 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Not quite a novice but DCM would be my second marathon and I feel I have a huge amount to learn from all here. Was over the moon to finish Cork after failing to get to the start in 2018. Will be trying to get the tickets on 1 July (I was unsure if I'd every put the trainers on again after doing Cork :D)

Have you raced before? 4:35 Cork marathon 02/06/2019
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    How much training do you currently do ? I'm currently letting my body recover from Cork, so just ticking over, very gentle jogging every 2/3 days.
    I followed the Hal Hidgeon Novice plan and it worked a treat for me (I stretched it out over more months to accommodate holidays and physio "breaks") I was a bit lackadaisical with the cross training in patches but my physio read me the riot act and I'm all the better for it but my poor ar$e from the bike...
    What do you want to achieve? In order; finish, finish faster than Cork, break 4 hours (dream)
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Open to suggestion here (I'm an early morning runner, kids, etc...)
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt Injury is always a concern, tried to train up to Cork 2018 and it was too much, too soon and had to reset to 2019. Nipped Plantar fasciitis in the bud with physio just in time this year
    Why are you running this marathon? Keep up the health benefits, see if there is another marathon in the tank.

Welcome jackc101! Congrats on Cork, and it sounds like you've taken a good sensible approach to the post marathon recovery... good stuff!

If you found HHN1 ok for Cork then you should take a look at the boards plan this time around, you'll be well able, if you can find the time of course.

What's the immediate plan? Another week or two reasonably handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ByrneDCMbrian

Well done on the consistent training. I'm just wondering what plan you are following that has you running 13 miles at faster than your target pace 19 weeks from DCM?

Was on any plan when i did half in March had dropped the lrs back down then build it up again. Only did the half at that pace to see how I could get on as when on the plan I ran the half @ 8 min per mile
    Hope that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

DeepBlue wrote: »

It's way too early to worry about times, but check this thread out:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108578371&postcount=85

That calculator seems wayyyyy too aggressive for novice marathoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

So, it is now just one week until the plans kick off. This is NOT the time to put the feet up and relax. Some of you have done a great job so far of building mileage and getting used to running 4 or 5 days a week - nice work! Others - not so much.

The marathon is a great day. Finishing the marathon is a fantastic achievement - but you cannot expect to run a marathon if you don't commit to the training. You'll be in for a world of hurt come October 27th.

I'm very concerned that some of you are not running regularly enough, and not running far enough. 2-3 miles twice a week will not make you a marathoner.
    Some of you haven't logged any miles all week - what's the story there?

Use this next week wisely. If you are one of those running 4-5 times a week, and close to 20 miles per week, just keep that up this week - you're doing fine. If you are somewhere less than that - get running. Run more this week than you did last week. There's still plenty time left today to get some miles in - get the runners on and get out the door!

And keep it EASY. Any queries, concerns, thoughts - just ask!

Thanks for the motivation Mr guappa

Plan this week
    Tue 5km
    Wed 5km
    Thur 5km
    Sat LSR 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hi folks was only told about this yesterday so sorry for the late reply Brian

Yes I've race before: 5km is 22:10, 10km is 46:38
    Half is 1:44:27 all new pbs this year
    3 marathons done Dublin twice and Manchester quickest was 4:38 and other 2 where just under the 5hrs mark

Since November last year I've been training 4 days a week which I'm still doing between 25/ 35 miles a week depending on distances .

Hoping to go 4 hrs for this year DCM feel like I can went out last week and did 13 miles @ 8.40 per mile and felt very comfortable.

I'm going to go with the the boards 2019 plan.feel I can keep up with that

The biggest fear I have is I fall apart after 20 miles which has happen all 3 times. But this year feels different as have training plan I use to just go out the door and run which was the best approach.
    I'm running this to prove to myself I can go under the 4 hrs

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone

Hi, and welcome to the fun! Congrats on the PBs for 2019 so far; looking at those I'd say you can PB at DCM also. You've got good base mileage there too by the looks of it.

You mention the fear of blowing up after 20 miles, but following a sound plan (such as the boards) and keeping the easy runs easy should go some way to avoid that happening. I know skyblue mentioned your long run pace from the weekend already, and it is a touch on the quick side. I know the McMillan calculator gives a wide enough window for the long runs, but I'd be keeping to the slower end of the range (looks like about 9.40 per mile for your PBs).

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Singer wrote: »

I found this article interesting https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tell-us-two-things-and-well-tell-you-how-fast-youd-run-a-marathon/. It also links to a marathon calculator that they built based on the data submitted from actual marathon runners. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/

I seems to correlate fairly well with the boards thread of estimated vs actual marathon times that you linked as well.

I found this article interesting https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tell-us-two-things-and-well-tell-you-how-fast-youd-run-a-marathon/. It also links to a marathon calculator that they built based on the data submitted from actual marathon runners. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/marathon-calculator/

I seems to correlate fairly well with the boards thread of estimated vs actual marathon times that you linked as well.

That calculator predicted my time last year pretty well - certainly a lot more accurately than others.

Based off a 1:54:00 HM in the build up (and 30mpw), the calculators gave me the following predictions:
    Tinman: 3:57
    McMillan: 3:59
    the fivethirtyeight calculator mentioned above: 4:11
    The (HM*2)+20 mins rule of thumb: 4:08

My actual time? 4:13

It is far too early to be thinking about finishing times, but it's obviously something that everyone does think about. For your first marathon, chose a very conservative goal time. Tinman and McMillan provide wildly ambitious times for novice marathoners. It's no harm thinking about this a little bit now so you don't set expectations too high.

• Advertisement

Sorbet wrote: »
    Conscious I haven't posted in a while so a quick question on the slow running that's been troubling me.......

When I took up running 12 months ago a few of us from work used to tear around at lunchtime as fast as we could, dropping each other as we went (not the most social running scene I know :rolleyes:) but I was able to work up to doing a sub 25 5k fairly easily - best Garmin clocked time was 22:24.

I'm now a much more evolved individual (!) and do nearly all my runs 6:00 min per km or slower (6:45 for the lsr). Really enjoying it and building distance which is the goal but I really feel that I'd have no hope of running 5K under 5 minutes a km (struggled failed today to hang on to some work colleagues who I don't always run with :o).

Is this a normal experience when running slow for some time? Not necessarily a problem, I'm just a bit worried that when the time comes for me to up it to "planned marathon pace" that I won't have a faster gear. Or could it be that my LSR is not slow enough?

I should add, I'm not daring to question the benefits of running slow - I am a convert, just looking for some reassurance!

This post piqued my interest and so I looked a little deeper into your running. I see you've been doing 1 LSR and 3 midweek runs each week over the past while. You've slowed the LSR right down and it looks bang on the slower end of the McMillan calculator based on your 10km time. No harm in going a little slower than that even, but it's fine. No issues there.

The issue is the 3 x midweek 7km runs - you are running all these at 10k pace, or faster, which is far too fast. You can make those slower by at least a min/km. At the moment you are running 3/4 of a 10k race three times a week, plus a LSR. That's 4 hard days, so it's no wonder you don't have 5k speed when you need it. Keep everything easy and you will see the PB's fall at all distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks for taking the time to look into that for me Mr Guappa - much appreciated.

I'll slow the midweek runs down.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

Hey, been looking at these threads jealously for a few years, always had a niggling feeling I should give the Marathon a go but never put in the effort needed to even consider starting the the training.I usually go through patches of running for fitness but then long layoffs out of laziness.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I only ran one race proper in the last 20 years, the Dublin half at Newbridge a couple of years ago, 1.56

Have a couple of 48.** 10k times last summer

Best 5k was a about 4 years ago 21.29 but usually hit 23-24 on a push when I build up fitness

Had a couple of 10miles at 1.26-1.28 last summer, nothing this year of note(although I did have a wind assisted downhill 6.52 mile)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No walk breaks
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Built up from little or nothing in spring to 20 miles last couple of weeks
    Morning runs of 3m/4m/5m three days in a row like the boards plan then a 6 or 7 mile at the weekend with a sneaky 2 or 3 k with my little one to bring it to 20m
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I want to do a sub 4 hour
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

will do at minimum 4 but try for 5
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Have a slight niggle on my hip since last summer, comes and goes, should really get it seen to. I suppose my fear if getting into the training and then having an injury
    Why are you running this marathon?

On the outward lap of my 40s so I dont think it will get easier as I get older and I would love to say I ran a marathon.

I have been reading with interest the subject of the LSR and still have to wrap my head around it.

I usually run 6 to 8 mile runs at 8.30m/m pace, is 9.00m/m slow enough for the LSR?

My interest would be specifically to do with my target of sub 4 hours. Has anyone from previous novice threads ran say 10m/m LSRs through training and completed a sub 4 hour Marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

marathon19 wrote: »
    I have been reading with interest the subject of the LSR and still have to wrap my head around it.

I usually run 6 to 8 mile runs at 8.30m/m pace, is 9.00m/m slow enough for the LSR?

My interest would be specifically to do with my target of sub 4 hours. Has anyone from previous novice threads ran say 10m/m LSRs through training and completed a sub 4 hour Marathon?

Hi Marathon19. Before I stumbled across the Novices thread early last year I was not too far off the paces you mentioned in your post for similar length runs.
    I didn't have much in the way of race experience and seeing as I was training for a first-time marathon, it very quickly became evident that I needed to slow things way, way down. Like you, I found it difficult to adapt to these new slower paces but with some practice and an understanding of why I had to run so much slower, it became gradually easier and it all just fell into place.
    I was checking out your previous race times, and although they're not that recent, they're pretty respectable and I would think that with consistent training, another few races under your belt, AND an easy pace of around 9:40/9:50, a sub-4 finish should be achievable.
    I was hoping for a time of around 3:40 last year but finished in 3:57 due to a few basic errors and am gearing up for another stab at sub-4 in October. You are in excellent hands with Mr Guappa and his fellow mentors. They've been there and worn the t-shirt so any advice they give you regarding paces is well worth heeding!
    Best of luck!

coogy wrote: »
    Hi Marathon19. Before I stumbled across the Novices thread early last year I was not too far off the paces you mentioned in your post for similar length runs.
    I didn't have much in the way of race experience and seeing as I was training for a first-time marathon, it very quickly became evident that I needed to slow things way, way down. Like you, I found it difficult to adapt to these new slower paces but with some practice and an understanding of why I had to run so much slower, it became gradually easier and it all just fell into place.
    I was checking out your previous race times, and although they're not that recent, they're pretty respectable and I would think that with consistent training, another few races under your belt, AND an easy pace of around 9:40/9:50, a sub-4 finish should be achievable.
    I was hoping for a time of around 3:40 last year but finished in 3:57 due to a few basic errors and am gearing up for another stab at sub-4 in October. You are in excellent hands with Mr Guappa and his fellow mentors. They've been there and worn the t-shirt so any advice they give you regarding paces is well worth heeding!
    Best of luck!

That's a big relief, I was so worried that if I slowed down on the long run my Marathon target would slip away.

go raibh maith agat

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hi, and welcome to the fun! Congrats on the PBs for 2019 so far; looking at those I'd say you can PB at DCM also. You've got good base mileage there too by the looks of it.

You mention the fear of blowing up after 20 miles, but following a sound plan (such as the boards) and keeping the easy runs easy should go some way to avoid that happening. I know skyblue mentioned your long run pace from the weekend already, and it is a touch on the quick side. I know the McMillan calculator gives a wide enough window for the long runs, but I'd be keeping to the slower end of the range (looks like about 9.40 per mile for your PBs).

Thanks for the reassurance about the 20.mile mark
    Are you saying for the 9.40 per mile as training run pace ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thanks for the reassurance about the 20.mile mark Are you saying for the 9.40 per mile as training run pace ???

Yeah, for easy runs and maybe even slower for the long runs. My own PBs aren't a million miles from yours, and I'd run my easy and long runs at 10 min miles and over. It will feel strange at first, but trust me it pays off!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Yeah, for easy runs and maybe even slower for the long runs. My own PBs aren't a million miles from yours, and I'd run my easy and long runs at 10 min miles and over. It will feel strange at first, but trust me it pays off!

Yeah that sounds good to me thanks for the advice. Not sure how I'm going to feel running at 10 min a mile it'll be defo strange but if it pays off and gets me a sub 4 I'll be happy out

marathon19 wrote: »

Hi marathon19, you're very welcome to the thread.

While I'd agree with coogy that you have the potential for a sub 4 hour marathon, unfortunately I don't think it's a realistic proposition this year.

It's difficult to get an accurate gauge on where you are at.
    You say that the only race you've done was the HM a few years back, were the most recent 5k, 10k, and 10 mile times that you mention achieved in solo runs?

Given the times you mention, and the lack of mileage in the spring, I'd think a time somewhere around the 4:20 mark might be more realistic, but an up to date race time would help to give a better indication. It's hard to judge based on the information you've given.

A common mistake people make is to train based on notional target times. This approach is wrong. You should train based on current fitness, and adjust if necessary as fitness improves. Again this is hard to give an accurate answer without a recent race time, but 8:30min/mile is far too fast for any run. That is MP for a 3:45 marathoner, none of the boards plans feature runs at faster than MP. Based on your times mentioned, your easy pace can be 9:30 or slower, and LSR at 10:00 or slower.

I would not worry one bit about age slowing you down. Some of the best runners around here have their 40's in the rearview mirror, came late to running, and are absolutely flying it. It takes patience though. My advice is to train properly for DCM this year, forget the 4:00:00 target and just enjoy the experience. Then, if you still want that sub 4, run consistently over the winter and spring, and target sub 4 at DCM 2020.

In the short term, find a race and get an accurate gauge on where you are at.

• Advertisement

Soulsun wrote: »
    Thanks for the motivation Mr guappa

Plan this week
    Tue 5km
    Wed 5km
    Thur 5km
    Sat LSR 10km

Nice one Soulsun! Keep at it, nice and easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Race time predictors assume equal training. They are not really reliable for first time marathons. Train to recent best race time, race again and change paces as required depending on the results. 3:30 off a 1:42 while not being impossible is very ambitious.

I think there used to be a thread somewhere where marathoners put in their half marathon time, projected marathon time and actual finishing time, just as a guideline for the novices. Can anyone remember where that was?

(I, for example, ran a 1.36.xx half in the run up to the Dublin marathon, but still ended up struggling to a 3.54 finish on the day. So even slower than ‘double your time, add 20 mins’

This is the one I was looking for. Thanks Singer!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

That’s really interesting and similar to my own experience (and the reason I’m following this thread now).

In 2014 I hit all the predicted McMillan times from 5 mile to the half. My half was 1.37.56 and I felt great doing it. That gave a predicted marathon time of 3.26.06. I ran 4.00.38. I made most of the mistakes that are repeatedly warned against here. I ran everything too fast, I skipped sessions because I ran LSRs too fast. It all hit particularly badly in the last month of training and once the long run hit 15 miles. I had a few other excuses in the last few weeks, a terrible experience in the Athlone 3/4 marathon, illness and injury, but I’d say now all linked to not training sensibly. I set out on 3.50 pace (self paced). Consciously slow for first two miles but panicked and started chasing time in the Phoenix Park, it was warm and breezy and I didn’t shelter or even consider a negative split attempt. I went through half way feeling pretty good and exactly on target. Loved half way to 18 miles, but lost concentration and forgot to take a planned gel. From mile 20 thinks started to slow and from mile 21 it was an absolute slog to the end. All I really remember is repeating “don’t walk, don’t walk” like a mantra, I doubt I was moving any quicker than walking pace for most of that time, but I kept the jogging motion. It was painful right to the end but just about made it, didn’t hit the wall as spectacularly as I did in Athlone (where I was within a whisker of sitting in the ditch and my wife had to pretty much carry me to the car after).

Anyway, long story short, running the training runs to hard can help to make some rapid progress, especially with a base from another sport, but there’s every chance it’ll bite you right at the crucial time. This time I’ll be running much slower all the way, I don’t expect to be sub 1.40 for my half, but I’m hopeful I’ll have a much more solid base and be able to go sub 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Sorbet

HelenAnne wrote: »
    This is the one I was looking for. Thanks Singer!

Thanks for posting - that was really interesting. As a first timer my automatic starting point is that I want to finish in x time but having read the comments it seems that those that ran within themselves and trained appropriately enjoyed the experience more first time out. Certainly food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That’s really interesting and similar to my own experience (and the reason I’m following this thread now).

In 2014 I hit all the predicted McMillan times from 5 mile to the half. My half was 1.37.56 and I felt great doing it. That gave a predicted marathon time of 3.26.06. I ran 4.00.38. I made most of the mistakes that are repeatedly warned against here. I ran everything too fast, I skipped sessions because I ran LSRs too fast. It all hit particularly badly in the last month of training and once the long run hit 15 miles. I had a few other excuses in the last few weeks, a terrible experience in the Athlone 3/4 marathon, illness and injury, but I’d say now all linked to not training sensibly. I set out on 3.50 pace (self paced). Consciously slow for first two miles but panicked and started chasing time in the Phoenix Park, it was warm and breezy and I didn’t shelter or even consider a negative split attempt. I went through half way feeling pretty good and exactly on target. Loved half way to 18 miles, but lost concentration and forgot to take a planned gel. From mile 20 thinks started to slow and from mile 21 it was an absolute slog to the end. All I really remember is repeating “don’t walk, don’t walk” like a mantra, I doubt I was moving any quicker than walking pace for most of that time, but I kept the jogging motion. It was painful right to the end but just about made it, didn’t hit the wall as spectacularly as I did in Athlone (where I was within a whisker of sitting in the ditch and my wife had to pretty much carry me to the car after).

Anyway, long story short, running the training runs to hard can help to make some rapid progress, especially with a base from another sport, but there’s every chance it’ll bite you right at the crucial time. This time I’ll be running much slower all the way, I don’t expect to be sub 1.40 for my half, but I’m hopeful I’ll have a much more solid base and be able to go sub 4.

This is a common story passinginterest and one that is invaluable to all the novices here reading it. The marathon is a different ball game altogether to 5k/10k/10m/HM - it's a beast! Such a buzz when you complete it, especially that oh so precious first time, but the training is definitely not to be taken lightly, train too fast or target an unrealistic time and that first experience could be a nightmare! Train right and it will be the most amazing experience ever, crossing the line with the biggest smile ever after 26.2 - now that's priceless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Similar enough experience in 2015 although I'm not as fast as you.

Went into it with a HM PB of 2:02 and so the predictors said I could do it in 4:30 no bother.
    I ended up 5:10

Last 6 miles where a nightmare of walk / jog.

I did most training running at what I thought was easy but in hindsight was too fast.

My medium training runs of the week were never more than 5 miles which resulted in my LSR being too much of a % of the weekly total.

V. similar to my experience. I'll see your 'forgot to take a gel' and raise you 'never took gels, felt ok in the LSRs in training, but at marathon pace began to feel lightheaded after about 20 miles with only water :)'
    frash wrote: »

My medium training runs of the week were never more than 5 miles which resulted in my LSR being too much of a % of the weekly total.

I know the mentors will have things to say about this later in the plan, but I just wanted to say that I've found having the LSR a smaller % of the weekly run a real help in terms of staying injury free. I'm not marathon training at the moment, so my long runs aren't very long (maybe 10-12 miles). That means they're around 25% of my weekly mileage and I haven't been injured all year. I think for me, spreading the mileage over the week is a real help.

Not sure if that's a help to you marathoners, but it might be!

Best of luck to anyone racing over the coming days. Off the top of my head we have runners toeing the line at the Docklands 5k, the Pride run, Dunshaughlin and Waterford. Be sure to let us know how you get on... The more detail the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Welcome jackc101! Congrats on Cork, and it sounds like you've taken a good sensible approach to the post marathon recovery... good stuff!

If you found HHN1 ok for Cork then you should take a look at the boards plan this time around, you'll be well able, if you can find the time of course.

What's the immediate plan? Another week or two reasonably handy?

Sorry for the slow reply, I was catching up on all the good stuff within the thread, especially the new concepts in the boards plan, which I'll follow. Copied off some of the stuff on strides / hills / recovery that's new by comparison to the HH1 plan

Plan is silly slow running every second day till this Sunday and start the boards plan on schedule. The body is feeling good and no niggles

What are the odds of getting an entry on the 1st of July? :o

Advertisement